MSP430 -> Release

Started by Baxter August 16, 2005
Baxter schrieb:
> "Jan Wagner" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message > news:de1tjh$kks$1@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi... > "intel-extended" format seems to work - thanks. > > Confusing as hell to a newbie - format options ranged from "aomf80196" to > "zax-m" (literally).
Yeah, those are types used by other (e.g. external) programmer and debugger software. Most of those in the list are used for entirely different CPUs or DPSs than the MSP430 and I've no idea why IAR included them in the MSP430 Workbench list... For showing off, maybe.
> Next question is how to set up for in-circuit debugging using the 3M SOIC > Test Clip.
All you need for this is a simple JTAG interface converter cable, and then connect the correct jtag signals from your msp430 to that cable. Either with a pin header on your uC board or over your 3M SOIC test clip. See your msp430fxxx datasheet for the right pins, called TCLK, TMS, TDI, TDO, TCK, and optional TRESET. To get started with JTAG, you can order or build this one: http://www.olimex.com/dev/msp-jtag.html http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/msp430-jtag-d-sch.gif If you ordered one, then your uC board should have this jtag pin header layout http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/msp430-jtag.gif The Olimex jtag circuit actually contains some nonessential things, if your uC board can supply +3.3V power to this circuit. I'm using one without D1, D2, U3, U1, C1-C5, it's less expensive yet still works nicely (NoICE, and IAR C-SPY/FET, and maybe others, too). I do not know how the TI FET starterkit programmer looks like, if it has a chip socket etc, but if you figure out where the JTAG signals are on that board then you might actually be able to solder an "extension" cable (i.e. just wires, nothing else) to it and plug that cable to your own uC board. That could be even simpler than building the Olimex jtag... :-) regards, - Jan