Ethernet Controller Basics

Started by Unknown August 30, 2005
Hi,
   I have been asked to study about SMSC ethernet controller.
I am going through the data sheet and am not understanding anything.

So, I wanted to know what is a ethernet controller and how does it work
to start with.

I browsed the internet and could not find useful information for
newbies like me.

Does any one know any resources on ethernet controller for a layman ?.

How it works and how to configure one to suit ur ends with lots of
examples.

This is my first embeedded project.

Please help.

Regards,
Maximus

john.maximus@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi, > I have been asked to study about SMSC ethernet controller. > I am going through the data sheet and am not understanding anything. > > So, I wanted to know what is a ethernet controller and how does it work > to start with. > > I browsed the internet and could not find useful information for > newbies like me.
The SMC datasheets are rather good in explaining the basics. They tell about how the packets come into and out of the chip. There are buffers that can be used. Together with an intro into TCP/IP it should be sufficient. The TCP/IP basics tell how the packets look like. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
http://www.beyondlogic.org/etherip/ip.htm

<john.maximus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > I have been asked to study about SMSC ethernet controller. > I am going through the data sheet and am not understanding anything. > > So, I wanted to know what is a ethernet controller and how does it work > to start with. > > I browsed the internet and could not find useful information for > newbies like me. > > > Does any one know any resources on ethernet controller for a layman ?. > > How it works and how to configure one to suit ur ends with lots of > examples. > > > This is my first embeedded project. > > > Please help. > > > Regards, > Maximus >
Great site - just what I needed to get to a quick shortlist, then feel
a little more comfortable about the approach I was taking.
Tony
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:38:56 +1000, "Joe G \(Home\)"
<joe.g@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>http://www.beyondlogic.org/etherip/ip.htm > ><john.maximus@gmail.com> wrote in message >news:1125384688.058130.21990@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >> Hi, >> I have been asked to study about SMSC ethernet controller. >> I am going through the data sheet and am not understanding anything. >> >> So, I wanted to know what is a ethernet controller and how does it work >> to start with. >> >> I browsed the internet and could not find useful information for >> newbies like me. >> >> >> Does any one know any resources on ethernet controller for a layman ?. >> >> How it works and how to configure one to suit ur ends with lots of >> examples. >> >> >> This is my first embeedded project. >> >> >> Please help. >> >> >> Regards, >> Maximus >> >
Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)

Memfault Beyond the Launch