Embedded Web CLIENT

Started by Unknown August 31, 2005
I see a lot of commercially available solutions for adding a web server
to an embedded application... however I dont see anything thats
designed for a client type app.

For example, my project has a LCD screen on it, and adding a network
controller chip (realtek, microchip, etc) would not be a problem. What
would be involved in retrieving and displaying web pages?  Is there
anything commercially available that would bridge these two?

You might want to do a Google search on "embedded web client" - there
seems to be quite a few commercially available versions. I've seen the
documentation from Allegrosoft on theirs, and it seems relatively
straightforward:

http://www.allegrosoft.com/romwebclient.html

There may even be some GPL versions out there as well.

Good luck.

benn686@hotmail.com wrote in news:1125519112.990555.275110
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I see a lot of commercially available solutions for adding a web
server
> to an embedded application... however I dont see anything thats > designed for a client type app. > > For example, my project has a LCD screen on it, and adding a network > controller chip (realtek, microchip, etc) would not be a problem. What > would be involved in retrieving and displaying web pages? Is there > anything commercially available that would bridge these two? > >
Lantronix Xport

Eric

Try http://www.antlimited.com/products/fresco.htm for a nice embedded browser. Regards Anton Erasmus
>I see a lot of commercially available solutions for adding a web server >to an embedded application... however I dont see anything thats >designed for a client type app. > >For example, my project has a LCD screen on it, and adding a network >controller chip (realtek, microchip, etc) would not be a problem. What >would be involved in retrieving and displaying web pages? Is there >anything commercially available that would bridge these two?
You need a TCP/IP stack, then open a socket to port 80 of the server and start to read and write. Displaying a web page is however not trivial in that you must implement a browser. I heard about an open soruce develoepement of an embedded web browser (source forge?). Due to the complexity of developping such a browser I definately would take a close look at such a project before deciding to start your own. If you only have to display certain web pages which you have under your own control thigns would be a lot easier in that you could restrict the developement of your "browser" to those features you acually use. On the other extreme you will find yourself developing a flash plugin for your browser, implementing a Java Engine, Java Script and probably a whole lot of other stuff. Just think of a webpage offering an integrated MPEG video... HTH Markus
> For example, my project has a LCD screen on it, and adding a network > controller chip (realtek, microchip, etc) would not be a problem. What
Faced with a similar problem I chose to adapt eLinks for my application. It depends very much on what sort of data you need to render. JavaScript, cascading style sheets, animated GIFs, background MIDI music, Flash animations... or just text?
"Markus Zingg" <m.zingg@nct.ch> wrote in message
> Displaying a web page is however not > trivial in that you must implement a browser. I heard about an open > soruce develoepement of an embedded web browser (source forge?). Due > to the complexity of developping such a browser I definately would > take a close look at such a project before deciding to start your own.
Errrm.... no. The server is, ahem, a web server. The client is the browser. The embedded app has to worry about the former, not the latter. And, happily, it's in control. Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 03:56:57 +0100, "Steve at fivetrees"
<steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com> wrote:

>"Markus Zingg" <m.zingg@nct.ch> wrote in message >news:4g8ch11hsj8bgl99p6uhjgga7e29hkqbhf@4ax.com... >> Displaying a web page is however not >> trivial in that you must implement a browser. I heard about an open >> soruce develoepement of an embedded web browser (source forge?). Due >> to the complexity of developping such a browser I definately would >> take a close look at such a project before deciding to start your own. > >Errrm.... no. The server is, ahem, a web server. The client is the browser. >The embedded app has to worry about the former, not the latter. And, >happily, it's in control.
Errrm :_) what? Where in the above paragraph did I used the word "server" ? I understood that the OP intends to display webpages fetched from remote sites (yes from a remote server) - that's what a browser (client as the OP stated) does and if it should be generic enough to be of use in todays world this means implementing an awfull lot of stuff - as I mentioned. Markus
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 03:56:57 +0100, "Steve at fivetrees" > <steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com> wrote: > >>"Markus Zingg" <m.zingg@nct.ch> wrote in message >>news:4g8ch11hsj8bgl99p6uhjgga7e29hkqbhf@4ax.com... >>> Displaying a web page is however not >>> trivial in that you must implement a browser. I heard about an open >>> soruce develoepement of an embedded web browser (source forge?). Due >>> to the complexity of developping such a browser I definately would >>> take a close look at such a project before deciding to start your own. >> >>Errrm.... no. The server is, ahem, a web server. The client is the >>browser. >>The embedded app has to worry about the former, not the latter. And, >>happily, it's in control. > > Errrm :_) what? Where in the above paragraph did I used the word > "server" ? I understood that the OP intends to display webpages > fetched from remote sites (yes from a remote server) - that's what a > browser (client as the OP stated) does and if it should be generic > enough to be of use in todays world this means implementing an awfull > lot of stuff - as I mentioned.
You're quite right; my bad. I misread the post. Gah. Steve http://www.fivetrees.com
I possibly found a couple of good solutions:

http://nxzilla.sourceforge.net/
http://www.tuxia.com/Nanozilla.htm

And some good info:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2001/view/e_sess/1277  ---this