High baud rate chips for RS232 protocol

Started by Mak September 3, 2005
Hello all,

I am interested in designing a custom board with serial interface and I
am searching for RS232 port driver ICs which can support baud rates
higher than 230kbps.

There are many PCI or USB to serial interface options available which
support bauds of upto 920kbps. I have designed a UART interface in FPGA
but need higher baud rate driver ics to actaully get the performance I
require.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mak

"Mak" <mansoor.naseer@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> There are many PCI or USB to serial interface options available which > support bauds of upto 920kbps. I have designed a UART interface in FPGA > but need higher baud rate driver ics to actaully get the performance I > require.
Use RS422 or RS485. This tranceivers support up to 10 Mbit/s. Much more recommended than RS232 (differential, lower voltage swing, EMC etc.) Regards Falk
"Falk Brunner" <Falk.Brunner@gmx.de> wrote in message
> "Mak" <mansoor.naseer@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:1125778063.960873.207120@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > >> There are many PCI or USB to serial interface options available which >> support bauds of upto 920kbps. I have designed a UART interface in FPGA >> but need higher baud rate driver ics to actaully get the performance I >> require. > > Use RS422 or RS485. This tranceivers support up to 10 Mbit/s. Much more > recommended than RS232 (differential, lower voltage swing, EMC etc.) > > Regards > Falk > > >
Or if you want to go even faster use LVDS. Slurp
I think you are asking about the level translators ? You have tried the usual suspects at Maxim and Linear ? You might also want a 3.3V supply interface device. http://www.maxim-ic.com/Interface.cfm shows 150 devices under "RS-232 Line Driver/Receivers" -jg
Jim Granville skrev:

> Mak wrote: > > Hello all, > > > > I am interested in designing a custom board with serial interface and I > > am searching for RS232 port driver ICs which can support baud rates > > higher than 230kbps. > > > > There are many PCI or USB to serial interface options available which > > support bauds of upto 920kbps. I have designed a UART interface in FPGA > > but need higher baud rate driver ics to actaully get the performance I > > require. > > > > Any recommendations? > > I think you are asking about the level translators ? > You have tried the usual suspects at Maxim and Linear ? > You might also want a 3.3V supply interface device. > > http://www.maxim-ic.com/Interface.cfm > shows 150 devices under "RS-232 Line Driver/Receivers" > > -jg
If you follow the rs-232 spec you can't go above ~115.2Kbit, to go above that you need a level translator that supports higher speeds, usually with an extra pin that enables a higher slew rate -Lasse
You will find 1M baud devices in the sipex web site.  Just don't expect more
than a few meters.
I think the suggestion of using a differential driver is best.

Simon

Mak wrote:

> Hello all, > > I am interested in designing a custom board with serial interface and I > am searching for RS232 port driver ICs which can support baud rates > higher than 230kbps. > > There are many PCI or USB to serial interface options available which > support bauds of upto 920kbps. I have designed a UART interface in FPGA > but need higher baud rate driver ics to actaully get the performance I > require. > > Any recommendations?
Yes, use the FT232 RS232 to USB converter for a desktop application. The cable then is USB and the baudrates reach 1Mbit. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference