usb to serial port adapter

Started by Nottingham September 9, 2005
Has anyone seen a device that allows older serial ports only computers to
use USB devices?

I can only find RS232 to USB adapters turning USB ports to RS232.  I need
the other way around and to work on NT.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:19:27 -0400, "Nottingham" <mikeNOSPAMster.d2@gmail.com> wrote:

>Has anyone seen a device that allows older serial ports only computers to >use USB devices?
The electrical conversion is trivial - your problem is that the devices are going to expect USB support from the OS, and that's not going to happen on NT unless the device manufacturer has bothered to create a special NT driver for it. -- #include <standard.disclaimer> _ Kevin D Quitt USA 91387-4454 96.37% of all statistics are made up
Nottingham wrote:
> Has anyone seen a device that allows older serial ports only computers to > use USB devices? > > I can only find RS232 to USB adapters turning USB ports to RS232. I need > the other way around and to work on NT. > >
Just put in a USB card (PCMCIA OR PCI) and ditch the NT. (Google for 'USB support "windows NT" ' and you'll see why . . .) -- Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED) ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
The problem is a legacy machine controlled by a PC running NT with
proprietary hardware/software installed and the software/hardware co. is
bust.  Replacing the PC board was our first consideration after using
straight serial comms, but isn't a good option.

Nottingham wrote:
> Has anyone seen a device that allows older serial ports only computers to > use USB devices?
There is no such device and never will be such a device.
Though the software company is bust can you update to Win2000? The
software should pretty well see it as NT and you would gain USB support.

Nottingham schrieb:

> Has anyone seen a device that allows older serial ports only computers to > use USB devices? > > I can only find RS232 to USB adapters turning USB ports to RS232. I need > the other way around and to work on NT. > >
If there is a LAN on the NT-PC, a 2nd system with W2K or XP and a small portion of SW could help, I think. HTH Michael

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference