1-25 m range sensor

Started by Ricardo Perezzo September 11, 2005
What type of range (distance) measurement sensor (and/or sensor combinations
to minimize the total cost) available with the following specs
    i. Range  : 1-25 meters
    ii.Accuracy : 2-5cm
    iii. Max spot size at target : 10cm radius @ 25m
    iv. Repetation rate : 10Hz
    v. Price : (Yes, I would prefer "low cost" whatever it means)

A tape measure

$10 from bunnings

Ricardo Perezzo wrote:
> What type of range (distance) measurement sensor (and/or sensor combinations > to minimize the total cost) available with the following specs > i. Range : 1-25 meters > ii.Accuracy : 2-5cm > iii. Max spot size at target : 10cm radius @ 25m > iv. Repetation rate : 10Hz > v. Price : (Yes, I would prefer "low cost" whatever it means)
If you could handle a much larger spot size, and possibly a lesser range, ultrasonic rangefinders are the cheapest option for long distances. If the small spot size is required, then you might be stuck with pricey laser rangefinders that measure the round-trip travel time. The Acuity AR4000 measures up to 16.5m and lists at $3500. Similar products can be found elsewhere. http://www.acuityresearch.com/products/index.shtml http://www.astech.de/ENGLISH/ldm41a_e.htm Later, Daniel
"Ricardo Perezzo" <rp@rp.com.uk> wrote in message
> What type of range (distance) measurement sensor (and/or sensor
combinations
> to minimize the total cost) available with the following specs > i. Range : 1-25 meters > ii.Accuracy : 2-5cm > iii. Max spot size at target : 10cm radius @ 25m > iv. Repetation rate : 10Hz > v. Price : (Yes, I would prefer "low cost" whatever it means) >
I bought one on sale at the local hardware warehouse for about $50 the other day. Ken
In article <4323f8c6$0$27926$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, noone@home says...
> A tape measure > > $10 from bunnings > > > "Ricardo Perezzo" <rp@rp.com.uk> wrote in message > news:4323ea5b$0$19001$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > > What type of range (distance) measurement sensor (and/or sensor combinations to > > minimize the total cost) available with the following specs > > i. Range : 1-25 meters > > ii.Accuracy : 2-5cm > > iii. Max spot size at target : 10cm radius @ 25m > > iv. Repetation rate : 10Hz > > v. Price : (Yes, I would prefer "low cost" whatever it means)
You can get a 25m tape for that price? Here in the US, for $10 you would be lucky to get a good 25-foot tape. Mark Borgerson
"Mark Borgerson" <mborgerson.at.comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <4323f8c6$0$27926$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader- > 01.iinet.net.au>, noone@home says... > > A tape measure > > > > $10 from bunnings > > > > > > "Ricardo Perezzo" <rp@rp.com.uk> wrote in message > > news:4323ea5b$0$19001$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > > > What type of range (distance) measurement sensor (and/or sensor
combinations to
> > > minimize the total cost) available with the following specs > > > i. Range : 1-25 meters > > > ii.Accuracy : 2-5cm > > > iii. Max spot size at target : 10cm radius @ 25m > > > iv. Repetation rate : 10Hz > > > v. Price : (Yes, I would prefer "low cost" whatever it means) > > > You can get a 25m tape for that price? Here in the US, for $10 you > would be lucky to get a good 25-foot tape. > > > Mark Borgerson >
See, if you went metric you'd get a 300% + improvement on things straight away..... Ken
"Ricardo Perezzo" <rp@rp.com.uk> wrote in message
> What type of range (distance) measurement sensor (and/or sensor > combinations to minimize the total cost) available with the following > specs > i. Range : 1-25 meters > ii.Accuracy : 2-5cm > iii. Max spot size at target : 10cm radius @ 25m > iv. Repetation rate : 10Hz > v. Price : (Yes, I would prefer "low cost" whatever it means) > >
That sounds like a laser rangefinder to me. All you need is a laser diode and photodiode, possibly a reflector on the target coupled with some very fast pulse generating and measuring. Hope that helps with the homework. Peter
  Actually, most laser range finders use a phase measurement, rather
than actual flight time.  Leica Geosystems makes some fairly lowcost
laser distance meters, around $800 if I recall correctly.
[http://www.leica-geosystems.com/]

cadcoke3@yahoo.com wrote:
> Actually, most laser range finders use a phase measurement, rather > than actual flight time. Leica Geosystems makes some fairly lowcost > laser distance meters, around $800 if I recall correctly. > [http://www.leica-geosystems.com/]
Thanks for the link. The Disto Lite is only $330 (at lascolaser.com) and measures up to 200m with 3mm accuracy. Their higher-end units have bluetooth for wireless data transfer. If I only had a reason to buy one; they look neat. Daniel
> Thanks for the link. The Disto Lite is only $330 (at lascolaser.com) and > measures up to 200m with 3mm accuracy. Their higher-end units have > bluetooth for wireless data transfer. If I only had a reason to buy one; > they look neat. > > Daniel
Does Disto Lite has any computer interface such as RS232?

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference