software to hardware - help

Started by Neo October 31, 2005
Neo said:

> Folks, How difficult it is for a software guy to learn working with > hardware. I've been working on embedded systems for about 4 years. Worked on > various platforms like TI DSP, Morotola, Intel x86 etc. Having sound > knowledge of C, Assembly, DD, RTOS and other system level stuff. I want to > learn some basic skill on hardware side (like soldering etc.) to prototype > some very simple circuits. My main focus is on Firmware designing and RTOS. > Do I need to take up some course in basic electronics? > > What are the essential tools that I need to buy in order to get started > playing with hardware? > > Books for a beginner like me (who dont have any background in electronics)?
Horowitz and Hill - 'The Art of Electronics' is a good, well written, introduction to electronics. -- http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/ remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.
You have received some good advice here.  I'll add that picaxe chips are a
lot of fun and there is wide range of internet sources for software,
schematics and so on.

"Neo" <timeless_illusionN0SPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Folks, How difficult it is for a software guy to learn working with > hardware. I've been working on embedded systems for about 4 years. Worked
on
> various platforms like TI DSP, Morotola, Intel x86 etc. Having sound > knowledge of C, Assembly, DD, RTOS and other system level stuff. I want to > learn some basic skill on hardware side (like soldering etc.) to prototype > some very simple circuits. My main focus is on Firmware designing and
RTOS.
> Do I need to take up some course in basic electronics? > > What are the essential tools that I need to buy in order to get started > playing with hardware? > > Books for a beginner like me (who dont have any background in
electronics)?
> > Some of you guy might have faced the same thing. It would be really
helpful
> for me to get advice and tips, and quickly get started. > > Thanks and Regards, > -Neo
Its really not as difficult as some would make out ... tho i suppose it's depends on your aptitude, perhaps just as important your 'determination' ... and also the level of complexity you wish to move it. Much like yourself, was a programmer, wishing to take up electronics as a hobby. Digital electronics is actually fairly easy ... it's such connecting a bunch of black-box chips together - I'd grab a quick an easy guide to analog electronics ... to lend the fundamentals .. and a digital electronics book ... then start playing about with a few kits - its the best way to learn .. As for how i got on ...5 years on ... well ... my last little project was a dual wireless phone + base station ... connects to the PC and phone line ... allows me to switch from voip, skype, landline and send sms's by gsm card :-) ...
"Noway2" <no_spam_me2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The answer depends on wether you take the blue pill or the red pill. > Sorry, but I couldn't resist with you using the name Neo. > >>From you message, it sounds like you are interested in technician style > work, as you mention soldering and basic prototying. You may be able > to find some classes at a community or technical college that would > help you gain some hands on experience with the correct methods to use. > Also look for certification trainging that may be offered in your > area. Personally, I took a class in SMT rework and have been very > comfortable with soldering and desoldering ever since. While I am > certain that some may disagree with my suggestion I find that there > really is no substitute for learning from someone who knows how to > teach a subject properly. > > If you are interested in learning electronics theory, which will go a > long ways towards your goal, I would recommend the book, The Art of > Electronics and the corresponding lab work book by Horowitz and Hill. > The book covers many of the fundemental aspects of analog and digital > electronics from a "this is how you use and apply it" perspective. The > book covers how to analyze circuits and components from a practical - > real work perspective. Armed with this book, I would suggest getting > some basic equipment, such as a bread board, digital multi meter and > power supply. You may wish to purchase some basic parts to perform the > experiements in the book, but these should be available from any online > electronics supplier, such as Digikey. > > Good Luck and enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole!
Thanks a lot. A grabbed a copy of "The Art of Electronics" and basic tools - Multimeter, Soldering Iron, cutting pliers, Breadboard, General purpose PCB, a variable DC output adapter, 25-pin male D connector (for parallel port interfacing), 555 Timer IC, a bunch of LEDs, registors, capcitors and transistors etc. from the local store. Its really exicting to play with these things. Things are up and running... :-) But I didn't found the Lab Workbook. Is it necessary to have a copy? -Neo
"Ian Bell" <ruffrecords@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Neo wrote: > >> Folks, How difficult it is for a software guy to learn working with >> hardware. I've been working on embedded systems for about 4 years. Worked >> on various platforms like TI DSP, Morotola, Intel x86 etc. Having sound >> knowledge of C, Assembly, DD, RTOS and other system level stuff. I want >> to >> learn some basic skill on hardware side (like soldering etc.) to >> prototype >> some very simple circuits. My main focus is on Firmware designing and >> RTOS. Do I need to take up some course in basic electronics? >> > > I would say it is incredibly hard to make the transition in this > direction. > Software is at least an order of magnitude less complex than hardware so > it > is difficult to become a good hardware engineer. Many people make the > transition in the other direction from mechanical engineering and > mathematics to software. > > Ian
Well, my aim is not to transition from software to pure hardware engineer. Understanding how a peice of hardware works is of immense help for a firmware engineer. Working closer to hardware, controlling a device this is what makes this field interesting and exciting. -Neo
"nobody" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> > "Neo" <timeless_illusionN0SPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:4365e863@news.microsoft.com... >> Folks, How difficult it is for a software guy to learn working with >> hardware. I've been working on embedded systems for about 4 years. Worked > on >> various platforms like TI DSP, Morotola, Intel x86 etc. Having sound >> knowledge of C, Assembly, DD, RTOS and other system level stuff. I want >> to >> learn some basic skill on hardware side (like soldering etc.) to >> prototype >> some very simple circuits. My main focus is on Firmware designing and > RTOS. >> Do I need to take up some course in basic electronics? >> >> What are the essential tools that I need to buy in order to get started >> playing with hardware? >> >> Books for a beginner like me (who dont have any background in > electronics)? >> >> Some of you guy might have faced the same thing. It would be really > helpful >> for me to get advice and tips, and quickly get started. >> >> Thanks and Regards, >> -Neo > > > Its really not as difficult as some would make out ... tho i suppose it's > depends on your aptitude, perhaps just as important your 'determination' > ... > and also the level of complexity you wish to move it. Much like yourself, > was a programmer, wishing to take up electronics as a hobby. Digital > electronics is actually fairly easy ... it's such connecting a bunch of > black-box chips together - I'd grab a quick an easy guide to analog > electronics ... to lend the fundamentals .. and a digital electronics book > ... then start playing about with a few kits - its the best way to learn > .. > > As for how i got on ...5 years on ... well ... my last little project was > a > dual wireless phone + base station ... connects to the PC and phone line > ... > allows me to switch from voip, skype, landline and send sms's by gsm card > :-) ...
That sounds amazing. Digital electronics I know quite a lot. Which microcontroller/microprocessor will be a good start? PICAXE seems quick and fast. How about ARM, MIPS etc. though i am not targeting these at this stage, its for later what I would like to use. For now I want "Play With It Yourself" on a tight budget and yet the power and flexibility to build real world gadgets. Cheers, -Neo "Do you Really think, What you think REAL is Really REAL?"
I wouldn't say that it is necesary, however you might find it both
helpfull and enjoyable to have it.

The lab workbook does two things.  One it provides a different
perspective on some of the critical concepts that can be somewhat
difficult to understand initially.  Second it presents a number of
recommended realtively simple experiments to perform on a bench, which
in my opinion is the real value of the book.

> "nobody" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message > news:te6dnb0RsJIQefrenZ2dnUVZ8qCdnZ2d@pipex.net... > > > > "Neo" <timeless_illusionN0SPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message > > news:4365e863@news.microsoft.com... > >> Folks, How difficult it is for a software guy to learn working with > >> hardware. I've been working on embedded systems for about 4 years.
Worked
> > on > >> various platforms like TI DSP, Morotola, Intel x86 etc. Having sound > >> knowledge of C, Assembly, DD, RTOS and other system level stuff. I want > >> to > >> learn some basic skill on hardware side (like soldering etc.) to > >> prototype > >> some very simple circuits. My main focus is on Firmware designing and > > RTOS. > >> Do I need to take up some course in basic electronics? > >> > >> What are the essential tools that I need to buy in order to get started > >> playing with hardware? > >> > >> Books for a beginner like me (who dont have any background in > > electronics)? > >> > >> Some of you guy might have faced the same thing. It would be really > > helpful > >> for me to get advice and tips, and quickly get started. > >> > >> Thanks and Regards, > >> -Neo > > > > > > Its really not as difficult as some would make out ... tho i suppose
it's
> > depends on your aptitude, perhaps just as important your 'determination' > > ... > > and also the level of complexity you wish to move it. Much like
yourself,
> > was a programmer, wishing to take up electronics as a hobby. Digital > > electronics is actually fairly easy ... it's such connecting a bunch of > > black-box chips together - I'd grab a quick an easy guide to analog > > electronics ... to lend the fundamentals .. and a digital electronics
book
> > ... then start playing about with a few kits - its the best way to learn > > .. > > > > As for how i got on ...5 years on ... well ... my last little project
was
> > a > > dual wireless phone + base station ... connects to the PC and phone line > > ... > > allows me to switch from voip, skype, landline and send sms's by gsm
card
> > :-) ... > > That sounds amazing. Digital electronics I know quite a lot. Which > microcontroller/microprocessor will be a good start? PICAXE seems quick
and
> fast. How about ARM, MIPS etc. though i am not targeting these at this > stage, its for later what I would like to use. For now I want "Play With
It
> Yourself" on a tight budget and yet the power and flexibility to build
real
> world gadgets. > > Cheers, > -Neo > "Do you Really think, What you think REAL is Really REAL?" > >
PIXAXE?? ... took a glance at the site and yeah! seem's like a good place to start ... i started off on the Microchip product line too ... my first project, the "hello world" equivalent to embedded hobbyists - controlling a bunch of LED's :-) ... which had me excited for all of 10 minutes ... ARM & MIPS? .. not much experience i'm afraid, never used MIPS. As for ARM - i've worked on them, but only from a 'software perspective' ... from the sounds of which, you've more experience than i. the project? (dual wireless thingies) cheers for the thumbs up :-) ... built it, and worked ... but decided the change the plan! .. no bulk level purchase's meant scaling up was too damn costly ...
ABP is a company providing professional service on Printed Circuit
Boards to overseas agents and distributors.The establishment for ABP is
the decision of conforming and optimizing INNOTRONICS Group. The core
purpose of the adjustment is to meet overseas customers' growing
needs with fast response and high quality products. In consideration of
the professional work of overseas service, INNOTRONICS dispatched a
number of experts for ABP team.

Overview
Quick-Turn - 3 to 8 Days
Small volume- 5 to 10 Days