Hi All,

I'm working on a custom device and need to monitor serial data between
a CPU and an FPGA at 921KBps.  Can anyone recommend a PC program that
could do this?  I need to monitor both the TX and RX lines at the same
time.

Thanks,
Sean

sean wrote:
> Hi All, > > I'm working on a custom device and need to monitor serial data between > a CPU and an FPGA at 921KBps. Can anyone recommend a PC program that > could do this? I need to monitor both the TX and RX lines at the same > time.
IMHO, that is far too fast for any PC (especially with Windows in). You'll need some hardware buffering anyway, e.g. a logic analyzer. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi
On 2005-11-01, Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio@INVALIDiki.fi> wrote:

>> I'm working on a custom device and need to monitor serial data >> between a CPU and an FPGA at 921KBps. Can anyone recommend a >> PC program that could do this? I need to monitor both the TX >> and RX lines at the same time. > > IMHO, that is far too fast for any PC (especially with Windows in).
While you can't do it with the built-in 16450 UARTs, there are plenty of serial boards for PC's that will handle 921K bps. To monitor both Rx and Tx, you'll need a board with at least two serial ports on it. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! If you STAY in China, at I'll give you 4,000 BUSHELS visi.com of "ATOMIC MOUSE" pencil sharpeners!!
sean wrote:

> Hi All, > > I'm working on a custom device and need to monitor serial data between > a CPU and an FPGA at 921KBps. Can anyone recommend a PC program that > could do this? I need to monitor both the TX and RX lines at the same > time. > > Thanks, > Sean
There has been a number of threads that deal with this topic in this very group. A little work with Google found me reports of a program by Hong Chen in VC++ (source available) posted July 20th 2001. Message ID= <JGP57.50$Jw2.4702@news1.telusplanet.net> I'll offer no comment on suitability as I don't program in that language. I could probably point you at some Forth code to do something very similar. -- ******************************************************************** Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@amleth.demon.co.uk> Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/> Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/ ********************************************************************
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:05:50 -0000, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-11-01, Tauno Voipio <tauno.voipio@INVALIDiki.fi> wrote: > >>> I'm working on a custom device and need to monitor serial data >>> between a CPU and an FPGA at 921KBps.
Apparently the signal is currently in TTL format, so some kind of "RS-232" or preferably RS-422 buffers would be required to interface it with a PC card.
>>>Can anyone recommend a >>> PC program that could do this? I need to monitor both the TX >>> and RX lines at the same time. >> >> IMHO, that is far too fast for any PC (especially with Windows in). > >While you can't do it with the built-in 16450 UARTs, there are >plenty of serial boards for PC's that will handle 921K bps.
These cards usually have quite large FIFOs on both Rx and Tx. Even on Windows, using SetupComm quite large (about 60 KB in NT4) low level buffers can be specified, thus, no data will be lost even if the interval between the application read operations would be as large as 500 ms.
> To >monitor both Rx and Tx, you'll need a board with at least two >serial ports on it.
However, when using cards with large Rx FIFOs, the timing information is lost, thus, it can be quite hard for the software to determine if the event in Rx line happened before or after the event in Tx line. If the protocol is strictly half-duplex, an OR gate (e.g. two diode) can be used to combine both the Rx and Tx lines into single Rx pin on the PC. The software would then have to find out from the message structure, which frame belonged to the Tx line and which to the Rx line. Paul
In article <1130872468.820185.307080@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
sean <s_machin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm working on a custom device and need to monitor serial data between >a CPU and an FPGA at 921KBps. Can anyone recommend a PC program that >could do this? I need to monitor both the TX and RX lines at the same >time.
What is the interface between the CPU and the FPGA? Is it real RS-232 signal levels or TTL levels? Is the CPU and FPGA on the same board? Is there a connector between them or do the signals need to be tapped right from the board? These things are important to note in figuring out what will work for you. Patrick ========= For LAN/WAN Protocol Analysis, check out PacketView Pro! ========= Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com Klos Technologies, Inc. Web: http://www.klos.com/ ==================== http://www.loving-long-island.com/ ====================
Is KBps Bytes/sec or bits per second?

Tap into the line and have a small PIC or AVR device listen in and do
the conversion.   If it isn't  continuous 921KBps, then just convert
it to serial RS232 that is PC compatible and use a RAM buffer to
handle the speed.  If it is continuous, than add an FTDIchip device.
Their DLL's will support 1Megabyte/second.

If you don't want to develop a tool, then buy a USB logic analyzer for
about $500 and write software to parse those logic states.

The Hong Chen July 20, 2001 link on "Serial port data sniffer"  was
suggested but is no longer available.  If you dod a google search on
"Serial port sniffer", the links are largerly RS232 limited to 115.3
Kbaud with some as high as 256000.

Quatech.com has a PCI board that they say will support speeds to
921.6 kbps
http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs232_upci.php
http://www.quatech.com/products/serialboards.php

On 2005-11-03, AntiSPAM_g9u5dd43@yahoo.com <AntiSPAM_g9u5dd43@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is KBps Bytes/sec or bits per second?
Bits.
> Tap into the line and have a small PIC or AVR device listen in and do > the conversion.
What conversion?
> If it isn't continuous 921KBps, then just convert it to serial > RS232 that is PC compatible and use a RAM buffer to handle the > speed. If it is continuous, than add an FTDIchip device. > Their DLL's will support 1Megabyte/second.
It's a lot easier to plug in a serial board that support 921K. There are at least a half-dozen companies that make them (among them, my ex-employer (Comtrol). A two port uPCI board that supports 921K retails for $350: http://www.comtrol.com/products/catalog.asp?product=rplus_upci If you want more ports pick one of the boards with 4 or 8 ports. All of the boards on the page above support 921K. You'll have to wire up some high-speed RS-232 drivers to convert to/from the logic levels on the board in question. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! HELLO KITTY gang at terrorizes town, family visi.com STICKERED to death!
>> Is KBps Bytes/sec or bits per second?
>Bits.
>> Tap into the line and have a small PIC or AVR device listen in and do >> the conversion. >What conversion?
Conversion from 921 KBps to 115.3 Kbaud,...or anything that is supported directly on the PC without additional hardware.
>It's a lot easier to plug in a serial board that support 921K. >There are at least a half-dozen companies that make them (among >them, my ex-employer (Comtrol). A two port uPCI board that >supports 921K retails for $350: > http://www.comtrol.com/products/catalog.asp?product=rplus_upci
Sure. Off the shelf is the fastest solution.
On 2005-11-05, AntiSPAM_g9u5dd43@yahoo.com <AntiSPAM_g9u5dd43@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Is KBps Bytes/sec or bits per second? > >Bits. > >>> Tap into the line and have a small PIC or AVR device listen in and do >>> the conversion. >>What conversion? > > Conversion from 921 KBps to 115.3 Kbaud,...or anything that is > supported directly on the PC without additional hardware.
Well, that assumes the duty cycle on the 921K side is less that 10%.
>>It's a lot easier to plug in a serial board that support 921K. >>There are at least a half-dozen companies that make them (among >>them, my ex-employer (Comtrol). A two port uPCI board that >>supports 921K retails for $350: >> http://www.comtrol.com/products/catalog.asp?product=rplus_upci > > Sure. Off the shelf is the fastest solution.
And unless you work for pennies an hour, probably also the cheapest. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are you guys lined up at for the METHADONE PROGRAM visi.com or FOOD STAMPS??