MSP430 JTAG

Started by el_777 November 8, 2005
Hi everybody. I am working with a development platform based in the msp430,
and I am looking for different programming tools. I tried the JTAG but this
is too big. it takes up to 14 pins of space. So I hope that somebody can
make a suggestion about other solutions, or other version of JTAG that
take up less space.
In article <uZednYAPU4QPzezeRVn-hg@giganews.com>, el_777@yahoo.com
says...
> Hi everybody. I am working with a development platform based in the msp430, > and I am looking for different programming tools. I tried the JTAG but this > is too big. it takes up to 14 pins of space. So I hope that somebody can > make a suggestion about other solutions, or other version of JTAG that > take up less space. >
You really only need 6 pins for the MSP 430 jtag interface. I put them all on a 2x3 2mm header and built an adapter to go to the standard 14-pin header. Mark Borgerson
Hello Mark,
> > You really only need 6 pins for the MSP 430 jtag interface. I put them > all on a 2x3 2mm header and built an adapter to go to the standard > 14-pin header. >
If that is still too big he could use a flex circuit connection. Or one of those digital camera connectors where you can barely see the tiny contacts. I wonder when TI or someone else will come out with a "Bluetooth programmable" micro. You compile, hit send and it's all 'beamed over'. Wouldn't that be cool? Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Thanks everybody, yours comments have been so useful. now I want to do a
deeper study about the JTAG maybe you can recommend me some literature
about this topic something like the bible of the JTAG or some similar. I
started with the IEEE std 1149.1

ok Thanks everybody see you later.

Have a look at the TI JTAG scan educator. It's a dos program, very nice, and answers nearly every question about JTAG. see: http://focus.ti.com/docs/apps/catalog/resources/appnoteabstract.jhtml?abstractName=satb002a MIKE -- www.oho-elektronik.de OHO-Elektronik Michael Randelzhofer FPGA und CPLD Mini Module Klein aber oho !
>I wonder when TI or someone else will come out with a "Bluetooth >programmable" micro. You compile, hit send and it's all 'beamed over'. >Wouldn't that be cool?
it will be pretty cool and useless, MSP430 target low power application, your wireless JTAG should take power from the target wireless module will eat at least 15-20mA approx same for the micro which will do the programming if you want high speed programing, so your target should provide >30mA for this wireless JTAG, pretty much for battery powered MSP430 apps Best regards Tsvetan --- PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb) PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html) Development boards for ARM, AVR, PIC, MAXQ2000 and MSP430 (http://www.olimex.com/dev)
Hello Tsvetan,

>>I wonder when TI or someone else will come out with a "Bluetooth >>programmable" micro. You compile, hit send and it's all 'beamed over'. >>Wouldn't that be cool? > > it will be pretty cool and useless, MSP430 target low power > application, your wireless JTAG should take power from the target > wireless module will eat at least 15-20mA approx same for the micro > which will do the programming if you want high speed programing, so > your target should provide >30mA for this wireless JTAG, pretty much > for battery powered MSP430 apps >
It's not meant for regular transfers. Think about this scenario: You have a bunch of devices that you want to reprogram in the field. Connectors are often ruled out because it's too much hassle, too much dirt around, or you don't have any skilled personnel to do it. Now you provide a little unit where all they have to do is place each device into a cradle, or somewhat close to it. Hold it there until a beep happens, done. Now you have a 'new' device. If weak batteries are a concern you could program in bursts short enough to only require the energy stored in a little electrolytic capacitor on VCC. Or you could supply the target device via inductive coupling if it absolutely has to be fast. There is a whole slew of other application such as smart cards and so on. Things where the card has to execute code. Or electricity meters in rural areas. You could reprogram the flash via such an interface even if the power is currently out. For example if a subscriber has signed up for a different day/night discount rate where the use of certain appliances such as air conditioners has to be blocked during some hours. When we had that a guy had to come into the house, crack the seal, set the times and then affix a new seal. This can be avoided. Another potential application area are motes. If these have to be configurable (they usually have to) or if you need them to perform different functions on various jobs there has to be a means to reprogram them without connectors. Connectors are often the main source of reliability problems.
> Development boards for ARM, AVR, PIC, MAXQ2000 and MSP430 > (http://www.olimex.com/dev) >
I am using some of your header boards. They are great. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference