8051 data compression

Started by Martin November 12, 2005
A recent article in Circuit Cellar (November 2004), mentions just that,
includingdetails of the compression algorithm used.

ted

Martin wrote:
> I should have been more precise. Trying to consider compressing a Virtex II > bitfile. Storage would be in an external SPI FLASH device. The > uncompressed bit image is just under 512K-bytes. In looking at it, there > are lots of 0x00 bytes. It should compress very well. > > Lossy compression is not an option, obvisouly. > > -Martin >
Doesn't the Virtix II support compressed bitstreams? I've never used Xilinx devices myself, but Altera devices all support compression in the devices themselves. Trying to further compress the compressed bitstreams is a waste of effort, as you are never going to get better than a percent or two. Also, if you are using encrypted bitsteams, you are not going to be able to compress them effectively.
> Doesn't the Virtix II support compressed bitstreams?
Yes. However, the form of compression they use is to match repeating frames, which isn't ideal in non-trivial designs. Almost anything else should produce better results. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Martin Euredjian To send private email: x@y where x = "martineu" y = "pacbell.net"
Hi Dear:
Keil developmmet environmnet give you 56 bit 8051 compression sample for
free.
Look there, I porteed 128 rigandel public domain algorithms. It took 28k ram