MPLAD - MPIDE debugging

Started by karel December 10, 2005
We made our firct C-code for the PIC environment in MP-IDE
and of course it doesn't work. So now we wish to apply the debugger on it,
but find ourselves unable to see our code in it.

In the main MP-IDE menu, we select 'view', then 'watch',
and according to the tutorial, should then be able to add symbols.
However the "add symbol" tab is greyed out, so that we can only
go select the CPU-registers for viewing.
I suppose we are overlooking something very basic - any ideas?
PS MP-IDE version is 6.42 which we finally found...

TIA,
KA

"karel" <adelcoGENE@zeverSKYNET.BE> wrote in message
> We made our firct C-code for the PIC environment in MP-IDE > and of course it doesn't work. So now we wish to apply the debugger on it, > but find ourselves unable to see our code in it.
Which debugger? (ICD2?), simulator etc.??? Jim
"Jim" <tech@picmodules.com> schreef in bericht
> > "karel" <adelcoGENE@zeverSKYNET.BE> wrote in message > news:439aea3b$0$8923$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... >> We made our firct C-code for the PIC environment in MP-IDE >> and of course it doesn't work. So now we wish to apply the debugger on >> it, >> but find ourselves unable to see our code in it. > > Which debugger? (ICD2?), simulator etc.???
Our problem is mainly with MP-LAB-SIM Excuse me for not making this clear. If it is any help: we have a suspicion we are missing something in the build options, such that we do not build the file (map?) the simulator works on.
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:48:17 -0000, the renowned "karel"

Perhaps a bit too obvious, but did you build with debugging information? Can you see global variables? Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
"Spehro Pefhany" <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> schreef in bericht
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:48:17 -0000, the renowned "karel" > <adelcoGENE@zeverSKYNET.BE> wrote: > >> >>"Jim" <tech@picmodules.com> schreef in bericht >>news:7FCmf.2256$XZ6.799@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net... >>> >>> "karel" <adelcoGENE@zeverSKYNET.BE> wrote in message >>> news:439aea3b$0$8923$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... >>>> We made our firct C-code for the PIC environment in MP-IDE >>>> and of course it doesn't work. So now we wish to apply the debugger on >>>> it, >>>> but find ourselves unable to see our code in it. >>> >>> Which debugger? (ICD2?), simulator etc.??? >> >>Our problem is mainly with MP-LAB-SIM >>Excuse me for not making this clear. >>If it is any help: we have a suspicion >>we are missing something in the build options, >>such that we do not build the file (map?) >>the simulator works on. > > Perhaps a bit too obvious, but did you build with debugging > information? Can you see global variables?
Not too obvious certainly, my own suspicions go this way! We went into the build options and tried various options but none seemed to change anything. But no we cannot see any variables neither local nor global. In the main MP-IDE menu, we select "view" then "watch" and understand from the tutorial we should here select "add symbol" however this labezl is greyed out so we can't. Thanks again for thinking along with us! KA

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference