LPC21xx newbie questions

Started by Sagaert Johan December 30, 2005
Hi

I decided to choose LPC21xx ARM devices  as my microcontroller for small
applications.

I still havent found out what the cheapest and easiest way is to develop and
debug.

Are there any free or low cost solutions that allow jtag graphical debugging
(win or linux ) ?
Is there a low cost alternative to keil-ARM tools ? (The Keil Ulink Jtag and
their LPC21xx based boards look a good starting point ,but a bit expensive )

Are there any RTOSses for these tiny devices ?

I need some hints so i can go for it.

Johan

"Sagaert Johan" ...
In article <43b509da$0$19449$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>, Sagaert Johan
<sagaert.j@AT.belgacom.net> writes
>Hi > >I decided to choose LPC21xx ARM devices as my microcontroller for small >applications. > >I still havent found out what the cheapest and easiest way is to develop and >debug. > >Are there any free or low cost solutions that allow jtag graphical debugging >(win or linux ) ? >Is there a low cost alternative to keil-ARM tools ? (The Keil Ulink Jtag and >their LPC21xx based boards look a good starting point ,but a bit expensive )
None of these kit is expensive. I assume this is for home or hobby use? There are the IAR boards with JTAG and eval compiler... similar to the Keil but the compiler has a 32K limit. However both the Keil and the IAR compilers are vastly more efficient than the GNu unless you have hours to spend optimising your own version to get it closer.
>Are there any RTOSses for these tiny devices ?
Yes, but why do you need one? The vast majority of embedded systems don't use an RTOS. Regards Chris -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Chris Hills wrote:
> However both the Keil and the IAR compilers are vastly more efficient > than the GNu unless you have hours to spend optimising your own version > to get it closer.
What optimizations do you mean?

Depending what you mean by low-cost, the rowley offering looks to be good value for money. available for both windows and linux. http://www.rowley.co.uk With a wiggler clone (easy to build) together with OCdemon and insight you can debug programs in RAM. Not to sure how good this combination is for debugging code directly in flash.
>Is there a low cost alternative to keil-ARM tools ? (The Keil Ulink Jtag and >their LPC21xx based boards look a good starting point ,but a bit expensive ) > >Are there any RTOSses for these tiny devices ?
There are quite a few RTOSes available, from free to fairly expensive. If you google for ARM RTOS you should get quite a number of hits.
>I need some hints so i can go for it. >
As someone else suggested, join the lpc2000 group on yahoo. Regards Anton Erasmus

-O2, according to <http://www.compuphase.com/dhrystone.htm> ! -- John Devereux
"Sagaert Johan" <sagaert.j AT belgacom.net> wrote in message
> Hi > > I decided to choose LPC21xx ARM devices as my microcontroller for small > applications. > > I still havent found out what the cheapest and easiest way is to develop
and
> debug. > > Are there any free or low cost solutions that allow jtag graphical
debugging
> (win or linux ) ? > Is there a low cost alternative to keil-ARM tools ? (The Keil Ulink Jtag
and
> their LPC21xx based boards look a good starting point ,but a bit
expensive )
> > Are there any RTOSses for these tiny devices ? > > I need some hints so i can go for it. >
Try the following links: http://www.FreeRTOS.org (bias declared) http://www.gnuarm.org http://www.olimex.com and finally ... http://www.olimex.com/dev/pdf/ARM%20Cross%20Development%20with%20Eclipse%20version%203.pdf Regards, Richard. http://www.FreeRTOS.org

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference