Signaling over powerline help

Started by ken December 30, 2005
Hello,
I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction.
I'm looking for a schematic that would allow me to send and receive
data over the power lines in a house. I did a search on google under
the following and did not find anything, I could use as a starting
point: Signaling over powerline circuits, bpsk circuit, and binary
phase-shift keying circuit. Thank you in advance, Ken
ken <somewere@out.there> wrote:
>I'm looking for a schematic that would allow me to send and receive >data over the power lines in a house. I did a search on google under >the following and did not find anything, I could use as a starting >point: Signaling over powerline circuits, bpsk circuit, and binary >phase-shift keying circuit. Thank you in advance, Ken
Try searching for "powerline modem". Phonex's "ReadyWire" looks interesting, but I believe the web page saying "Available soon for developers" has not changed in the last couple years ... ( http://www.phonex.com/prd_readywire.htm ) Their Neverwire14 works very well, though. There are similar products from several other companies. Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, ] [ return address is invalid. ]
Hi Roberto and thanks for your reply. I not looking for something this
elaborate. I don't need the high transfer rate. I'll be using a PIC
micro and sending a few bytes to one or more PIC's. Ken
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:12:54 -0500, the renowned ken
<somewere@out.there> wrote:

>Hello, >I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction. >I'm looking for a schematic that would allow me to send and receive >data over the power lines in a house. I did a search on google under >the following and did not find anything, I could use as a starting >point: Signaling over powerline circuits, bpsk circuit, and binary >phase-shift keying circuit. Thank you in advance, Ken
"carrier current" X10 + reciever, transmitter etc. As well as being potentially dangerous, it's not easy to get this sort of thing to work reliably. I suggest you forget about it and use wireless technology. If you're in North America, in a residential situaiton, with our split mains, you may also have to worry about getting data across the two sides. Commercial may use 208 3-phase so it's got double trouble. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:14:12 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
<speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:12:54 -0500, the renowned ken ><somewere@out.there> wrote: > >>Hello, >>I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction. >>I'm looking for a schematic that would allow me to send and receive >>data over the power lines in a house. I did a search on google under >>the following and did not find anything, I could use as a starting >>point: Signaling over powerline circuits, bpsk circuit, and binary >>phase-shift keying circuit. Thank you in advance, Ken > >"carrier current" >X10 + reciever, transmitter etc. > >As well as being potentially dangerous, it's not easy to get this sort >of thing to work reliably. I suggest you forget about it and use >wireless technology. > >If you're in North America, in a residential situaiton, with our split >mains, you may also have to worry about getting data across the two >sides. Commercial may use 208 3-phase so it's got double trouble. > > >Best regards, >Spehro Pefhany
Hi Spehro, I'm aware of the danger and plain to use opto isolators. I also know about the split mains. Thanks, Ken
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:14:12 -0500, the renowned Spehro Pefhany
<speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:12:54 -0500, the renowned ken ><somewere@out.there> wrote: > >>Hello, >>I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction. >>I'm looking for a schematic that would allow me to send and receive >>data over the power lines in a house. I did a search on google under >>the following and did not find anything, I could use as a starting >>point: Signaling over powerline circuits, bpsk circuit, and binary >>phase-shift keying circuit. Thank you in advance, Ken > >"carrier current" >X10 + reciever, transmitter etc.
P.S. you can also look at the LM2893/LM1893 data sheets (the parts are now discontinued but there are still thousands floating around) to see some details of power line coupling using transformers and FSK encoding/decoding. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:12:54 -0500, ken wrote:

> Hello, > I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction. > I'm looking for a schematic that would allow me to send and receive > data over the power lines in a house. I did a search on google under > the following and did not find anything, I could use as a starting > point: Signaling over powerline circuits, bpsk circuit, and binary > phase-shift keying circuit. Thank you in advance, Ken
Spehro is right, forget this scheme. Use wireless. There are cheap tx-rx pairs that might serve over a 30m or so, particularly in wood frame houses. Search for TLP434 and RLP434. You also need an encoder and decoder, unless you want to do it yourself using bit-banging, which is ill advised. One encoder-decoder pair are the ones from Holtek, the HT12E/HT12D pair. This set works well with a short wire antenna, and can be extended using better antennas. For less than $20 US, you can easily build a one-way channel between two microcontrollers that will support a data rate of 500 bytes/sec. You might also be able to use the encoder / decoder chips over the powerline (using transformers of some kind, I'm guessing), but you run into the issues others have pointed out. Finally, I seem to recall a technote from national that shows how to transmit music over powerlines. That might also have some tips. -- Regards, Bob Monsen Mathematics compares the most diverse phenomena and discovers the secret analogies that unite them. - Joseph Fourier
Hello Bob,

> Spehro is right, forget this scheme. Use wireless. >
PLC can work nicely, just not that old AM protocol of X-10. Wireless can be much more of a challenge. For example, it is very hard to maintain an ISM wireless link into our garage at a reasonable (or legal) power level. Via PLC I can reach there with ease.
> > For less than $20 US, you can easily build a one-way channel between two > microcontrollers that will support a data rate of 500 bytes/sec. >
With PLC you can do that for a few Dollars.
Just don't get suckered into any kind of carrier on/off AM protocol ;-) Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
"ken" <somewere@out.there> wrote in message
> Hello, > I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction. > I'm looking for a schematic that would allow me to send and receive > data over the power lines in a house. I did a search on google under > the following and did not find anything, I could use as a starting > point: Signaling over powerline circuits, bpsk circuit, and binary > phase-shift keying circuit. Thank you in advance, Ken
Instead of X10, try UPB.