Not enough memory to declare global variable.

Started by Unknown January 13, 2006
Hi All,

My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to store my byte
arrary data, what can I do?

Could you please advice?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Boki.

<bokiteam@ms21.hinet.net> wrote in message
> Hi All, > > My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to store my byte > arrary data, what can I do? > > Could you please advice? > > Thank you very much! > > Best regards, > Boki.
Stating the obvious, use a different processor, add more memory, or optimise your program. + Can you analyse your code to see if any variables can use smaller data types (bits for Booleans rather than bytes, etc), or + Share a memory location (i.e. are variables used in a mutually exclusive way so can be overwritten), or + Does all the global data really need to be global? or + Can you work with a smaller stack allocating more RAM to global data? If you get down to this then i would suggest your application is not supportable on your current hardware, and you are on a hiding to nothing anyway. Good luck! Richard. http://www.FreeRTOS.org
bokiteam@ms21.hinet.net wrote:

> My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to store my byte > arrary data, what can I do?
I think we need some more details on your problem; what memory are you short on, RAM, ROM ? What kind of data do you need to store, and how do you want to access it ? Apart from adding memory (which might or might not be possible on your platform) you could try some tricks with compression or storing your data in another way. -- :wq ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C
bokiteam@ms21.hinet.net wrote:

> Hi All, > > My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to store my byte > arrary data, what can I do? > > Could you please advice? > > Thank you very much!
With lots of unused cpu power, you could consider compressing the memory contents. Rene
Buy a bigger one. HTH HAND. pete -- pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB.

Ah, the ever-cryptic Boki strikes again. Details? Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On 2006-01-13, bokiteam@ms21.hinet.net <bokiteam@ms21.hinet.net> wrote:

> My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to > store my byte arrary data, what can I do?
Hire somebody with a clue. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I feel partially at hydrogenated! visi.com
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:14:33 +0100, Rene Tschaggelar <none@none.net> wrote:

>bokiteam@ms21.hinet.net wrote: > >> Hi All, >> >> My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to store my byte >> arrary data, what can I do?
Figure out how much memory you need before choosing the micro.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:36:23 -0500, in comp.arch.embedded Spehro
Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>On 13 Jan 2006 01:55:11 -0800, the renowned bokiteam@ms21.hinet.net >wrote: > >>Hi All, >> >>My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to store my byte >>arrary data, what can I do? >> >>Could you please advice? >> >>Thank you very much! >> >>Best regards, >>Boki. > >Ah, the ever-cryptic Boki strikes again. Details? > > >Best regards, >Spehro Pefhany
Always a challenge....... martin
Well, you could use brute force!

martin griffith wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:36:23 -0500, in comp.arch.embedded Spehro > Pefhany <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote: > > >On 13 Jan 2006 01:55:11 -0800, the renowned bokiteam@ms21.hinet.net > >wrote: > > > >>Hi All, > >> > >>My MCU can't support me to declare large enough memory to store my byte > >>arrary data, what can I do? > >> > >>Could you please advice? > >> > >>Thank you very much! > >> > >>Best regards, > >>Boki. > > > >Ah, the ever-cryptic Boki strikes again. Details? > > > > > >Best regards, > >Spehro Pefhany > Always a challenge....... > > > martin

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference