1pSec Jitter

Started by Joe G (Home) January 14, 2006
 I assumed something in our house wiring was arcing over.  Speed of
light, you know.

bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:
> Stef Mientki wrote: > >>bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote: >> >>>Stef Mientki wrote: >>> >>> >>>>Ico wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>>>In comp.arch.embedded Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nospam@mailbox.kun.nl> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>>at my work we've a 128 channel 32 (or 34) bit AD converter !! >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>Just curious: what is it used for ? >>>>> >>>> >>>>magnetoencephalography (MEG), functional brain imaging, >>>>by measuring the magnetic field form active neurons with squids. >>> >>> >>>Working for Peter Hagoort? >>> >> >>No, at the ID > > > "ID" ?
ik dacht dat je bekend was ... The Donders Centre does have an MEG
> > http://www.ru.nl/aspx/get.aspx?xdl=/views/run/xdl/page&SitIdt=119&VarIdt=96&ItmIdt=18668 > > but I guess you'd have to be tied up to the Radboud hospital
inderdaad
> > http://www.ru.nl/aspx/get.aspx?xdl=/views/run/xdl/page&SitIdt=119&VarIdt=96&ItmIdt=18668 > > but none of the departments listed there seem to qualify as "ID"
dat komt omdat de ID = Instrumentele Dienst, oftewel een ondersteunende dienst, die alleen op de "medewerkers" pagina is terug te vinden cheers, Stef

grg@umn.edu wrote:
> > I assumed something in our house wiring was arcing over. Speed > of light, you know.
What has this got to do with? Include context - most usenet users cannot conveniently see preceding messages. For how to do it with the broken google interface, see below. Read the referenced URL. -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
"Chuck F. " <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> writes:
> David R Brooks wrote: > > > > [snip] > >> > > Is a supersonic shockwave the explanation of the effect one > > sometimes notices with a nearby lightning strike: see the flash, > > & hear almost simultaneously a sharp crack, like a stick > > snapping. A second or so later, comes the boom. So that crack > > must have been supersonic? > > Much simpler explanation. The speed of sound varies with frequency.
According to the Flight Test Engineer's Handbook, the speed of sound varies with temperature. Nothing about frequency in the equation(s).
Stef Mientki wrote:
> bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote: > > Stef Mientki wrote: > > > >>bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote: > >> > >>>Stef Mientki wrote: > >>> > >>> > >>>>Ico wrote: > >>>> > >>>> > >>>>>In comp.arch.embedded Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nospam@mailbox.kun.nl> wrote:
<snip>
> > but none of the departments listed there seem to qualify as "ID" > dat komt omdat de ID = Instrumentele Dienst, > oftewel een ondersteunende dienst, > die alleen op de "medewerkers" pagina is terug te vinden
Wat dom van mij! Ik was wirksam bij de Technsiche Zaken van be B-faculteit 1973-79 en af en toe waren wij - verassent zelten - over iets bezig met julie ... -- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
"David R Brooks" <davebXXX@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Is a supersonic shockwave the explanation of the effect one sometimes > notices with a nearby lightning strike: see the flash, & hear almost > simultaneously a sharp crack, like a stick snapping. A second or so > later, comes the boom. So that crack must have been supersonic?
I doubt it, although undoubtedly there is some amount of supersonic effect considering the rapid heating pulse. More likely the low frequencies are bouncing off trees, houses, clouds and whatnot, which also fragment the sound into a rumble (also attenuating high frequencies). Tim -- Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms