jpeg to video

Started by Anchor January 15, 2006
We are looking for ideas on designing a SD mem chip jpeg file to
composite video viewer using an embedded uC.

We assume we have to decompress the jpeg file to some memory, resample it
to screen resolution, convert to yuv and stream it out through a yuv to
composite video chip.

What chip sets are out there that can help us along with this project?
Anchor wrote:

> What chip sets are out there that can help us along with this project?
Digicam chipsets have everything you need built in. Usually built around an 8051 core (low-end) or ARM (high-end). Winbond makes some cheap 8051-based chips with PAL/NTSC composite output.
Anchor <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> We assume we have to decompress the jpeg file to some memory, resample it > to screen resolution, convert to yuv and stream it out through a yuv to > composite video chip.
That sounds right except for the "convert to yuv" part. _most_ (but not all) jpegs are yuv to begin with. ttyl, --buddy
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:44:19 -0600, Buddy Smith wrote:

> Anchor <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote: > >> We assume we have to decompress the jpeg file to some memory, resample it >> to screen resolution, convert to yuv and stream it out through a yuv to >> composite video chip. > > That sounds right except for the "convert to yuv" part. _most_ (but not > all) jpegs are yuv to begin with. > > ttyl, > > --buddy
Aren't the color space coefficients different between JPEG YUV and NTSC or PAL Video YUV?? and therefore we still would need to convert to the video color spaces?
"Anchor" <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:44:19 -0600, Buddy Smith wrote: > >> Anchor <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote: >> >>> We assume we have to decompress the jpeg file to some memory, resample >>> it >>> to screen resolution, convert to yuv and stream it out through a yuv to >>> composite video chip. >> >> That sounds right except for the "convert to yuv" part. _most_ (but not >> all) jpegs are yuv to begin with. >> >> ttyl, >> >> --buddy > > Aren't the color space coefficients different between JPEG YUV and > NTSC or PAL Video YUV?? and therefore we still would need to convert to > the video color spaces? >
yep. I can find the formulas if you want them? Ross
I've done this using PCMCIA with a CPLD, 8051 and a Zorran ZR36060

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference