Ideas for really small slide switches?

Started by larwe January 16, 2006
Hello Lewin,

Just because some politicians said that NTSC is going to go that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen anytime soon. Even if the TV stations did go there is lots of legacy stuff that needs an NTSC input.
> >>imagine anyone crawling behind their PC, tipping over the coffee mug >>while doing that, wiggling the bolts and unplugging the VGA cable. Plus >>how do you connect that garden hose to your little card? > > > Same problem with NTSC, by the way, and same solution - the card will > have a flat connector of the type used on LCDs, sold by JAE and Hirose > among others - and an adapter cable provided separately. Note that I > don't mean an FFC connector; the cables used are more usually > individual strands of very fine wire.
Well, for NTSC you can buy them cheaply. No bulky adapter cable. One side has a tiny RCA plug (for the TV), the other a digital camera plug where you can hardly see the contacts without a magnifier.
> > As for the PC issue - I am assuming that anyone with the remotest > interest in this has spare monitors lying around all over the place :) > If I cared to collect them, I could have 20+ 15" and 17" CRT monitors > per week, that is AT MINIMUM how many I see thrown away at work and on > the streets I traverse while walking my dog. > >
Not out here. They are usually recycled, for example by participating in the Dell return program. Then they are gone for good. The others are plugged into CAD stations and the like.
>>How about a very thin metallization on top of each LED and using that as > > > Practical to do by hand?!! >
I don't know whether you can metallize by hand, it was just a suggestion. Theoretically it should be possible if you could apply a peel-off mask or something.
Isn't this more or less a hobby or amusement project? If corporate and very qty limited ask them about a 'courtesy license'. Could mention their name in the paperwork in return. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

> Geeze, I don't see how Lewin can fail. Ideas are flowing! I need a > PDP-11 in that form factor and I know that Lewin won't get to the > PDP-11 before he gets that darned PDP-1 done, so.... anything to push
:) You'd be amazed how many people have said this. The PDP-11 is much harder because peoples' expectations include media support. It isn't enough simply to emulate the CPU, core and front panel.
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> writes:

> Jonathan Kirwan wrote: > >> Geeze, I don't see how Lewin can fail. Ideas are flowing! I need a >> PDP-11 in that form factor and I know that Lewin won't get to the >> PDP-11 before he gets that darned PDP-1 done, so.... anything to push > > :) You'd be amazed how many people have said this. > > The PDP-11 is much harder because peoples' expectations include media > support. It isn't enough simply to emulate the CPU, core and front > panel.
Well they say that the MSP430 is already a PDP11 emulation... So it might be easier than you think! :) -- John Devereux
On 18 Jan 2006 12:10:34 -0800, "larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jonathan Kirwan wrote: > >> Geeze, I don't see how Lewin can fail. Ideas are flowing! I need a >> PDP-11 in that form factor and I know that Lewin won't get to the >> PDP-11 before he gets that darned PDP-1 done, so.... anything to push > >:) You'd be amazed how many people have said this. > >The PDP-11 is much harder because peoples' expectations include media >support. It isn't enough simply to emulate the CPU, core and front >panel.
Hey, I'd be cool with that much. I bet I could figure out a way to extend things for my own use. But I also learned on the Bell Labs' Cardiac computer. Moving a little ladybug around and erasing and writing memory numbers in little boxes as I run my own programs manually means that my standards are pretty low and the PDP-1 is "high cotton" for me. So I don't want to get you off-track. Jon

That's been said and it was my first impression, upon reading the instruction set. But then, reality set it. See: http://users.easystreet.com/jkirwan/new/msp430.html For a comparison. Jon
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

> >The PDP-11 is much harder because peoples' expectations include media > >support. It isn't enough simply to emulate the CPU, core and front > >panel. > > Hey, I'd be cool with that much. I bet I could figure out a way to > extend things for my own use.
I can emulate a PDP-11/23 (the only PDP I ever personally owned) with three switches and I think three lamps. It needs storage devices to get software into the beast.. if I'm not going to emulate them then I might as well not put any other electronics on the board at all.
On 18 Jan 2006 13:21:43 -0800, "larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jonathan Kirwan wrote: > >> >The PDP-11 is much harder because peoples' expectations include media >> >support. It isn't enough simply to emulate the CPU, core and front >> >panel. >> >> Hey, I'd be cool with that much. I bet I could figure out a way to >> extend things for my own use. > >I can emulate a PDP-11/23 (the only PDP I ever personally owned) with >three switches and I think three lamps. It needs storage devices to get >software into the beast.. if I'm not going to emulate them then I might >as well not put any other electronics on the board at all.
Ah. I was imagining a PDP-11/70 or PDP-11/45. Particularly, since you were already talking about lights and switches, my imagination did not go over to the 11/23. It just wouldn't make sense in the context. I've loaded bootstraps more times than I'd like to remember and programs as well, though the front panel of the /45 and /70. Jon
Spehro's suggestion is closest, so far, to what I had in mind. http://www.larwe.com/pdpcard.gif shows a front panel layout that is ALMOST final. The eight control switches are giving me trouble. By the way, someone pointed out to me today that a KIM-1 emulator would be another cool and easy thing to do on a similar hardware platform. There are some very nice little surface-mount 7-segment LEDs, I am giving it serious consideration. I won't have to modify substantially the "RTOS" (really a strong word for it) I developed to run the PDP-1 emulator.
larwe wrote:

> Spehro's suggestion is closest, so far, to what I had in mind. > http://www.larwe.com/pdpcard.gif shows a front panel layout that is > ALMOST final. The eight control switches are giving me trouble.
Oh, one other thing: A citizen suggested yet another method, which is a magnetic stylus and SOT23 Hall effect sensors as the "buttons". I rather like this :)
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de
> > larwe wrote: > > > Spehro's suggestion is closest, so far, to what I had in mind. > > http://www.larwe.com/pdpcard.gif shows a front panel layout that is > > ALMOST final. The eight control switches are giving me trouble. > > Oh, one other thing: A citizen suggested yet another method, which is a > magnetic stylus and SOT23 Hall effect sensors as the "buttons". I > rather like this :) >
Or reed switches? -- Thanks, Fred.