want to learn embedded linux

Started by bhimanipankaj January 24, 2006
well, i am working on the microcontroller ARM but i am using it as a
simple
microcontroller and want to use RTOS with the help of the Embedded
linux..

But i had strated reading the book but i do find that its quiet difficult
can u please suggest me some good ebook...or some material on the
Embedded
linux on the nex
i desparately want to learn embedded linux how do i start?
"bhimanipankaj" <bhimanipankaj@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > well, i am working on the microcontroller ARM but i am using it as a > simple > microcontroller and want to use RTOS with the help of the Embedded > linux.. > > But i had strated reading the book but i do find that its quiet difficult > can u please suggest me some good ebook...or some material on the > Embedded > linux on the nex > i desparately want to learn embedded linux how do i start?
The manditory question here is: Are you sure you need an RTOS? Please provide more information, e.g.: This is a networked device. I am using Embedded Databases. I am controlling USB devices. I need a file system. I need X-windows support. I am running multiple applications concurrently. What do you need a full OS for? Rufus
In article <43e24ded$0$8240$6d36acad@taz.nntpserver.com>, Rufus V. Smith
<nospam@nospam.com> writes
> >"bhimanipankaj" <bhimanipankaj@gmail.com> wrote in message >news:BuSdnSuJVqc-aUjenZ2dnUVZ_sCdnZ2d@giganews.com... >> >> well, i am working on the microcontroller ARM but i am using it as a >> simple >> microcontroller and want to use RTOS with the help of the Embedded >> linux.. >> >> But i had strated reading the book but i do find that its quiet difficult >> can u please suggest me some good ebook...or some material on the >> Embedded >> linux on the nex >> i desparately want to learn embedded linux how do i start? > >The manditory question here is: Are you sure you need an RTOS? > >Please provide more information, e.g.: > >This is a networked device. > >I am using Embedded Databases. > >I am controlling USB devices. > >I need a file system. > >I need X-windows support. > >I am running multiple applications concurrently. > >What do you need a full OS for? > >Rufus
Because it is Linux Because every computer I have used has an OS Because I want Linux on my CV Because I am following the crowd I can't understand it either. The RTOS takes up large amounts of resources in space and time. A large number of times I see an RTOS used (eve a free one) it adds a vast amount of complexity, development time and often real expense in hardware and production costs. Even though I sell an RTOS I usually caution against it's use unless there is a real need. Usually because the project will require multiple process's and requires thing like your list above: file system, network, USB database etc. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/