8051 derivative 2nd sources

Started by george_d February 13, 2006
I'm starting a new project and I intend to use an 8051 derivative.
Specifically, I'm looking for a chip that has at least 3MIPS, 64K
FLASH, an SPI port, and must be RoHS compliant.

The real reason that I'm posting is that I want to use a chip(s) that
are truly second sourced.  We intend to produce this product for maybe
10 years or so, so we don't want to have to be concerned about having
a chip manufacture stopping production.

For example, I know that the Philips's P89V51RD2 is second sourced by
SST's SST89E516RD2.  Atmel makes an AT89C51RD2, but the SPI signals
are pined out differently then the first two chips.  But this is the
only second sourced chip that I can find with the above mentioned
requirements.  I was wondering is anyone knows of other 8051 type chips
that are second sourced.

Thanks George

gdorian@powis.com

george_d wrote:
> I'm starting a new project and I intend to use an 8051 derivative. > Specifically, I'm looking for a chip that has at least 3MIPS, 64K > FLASH, an SPI port, and must be RoHS compliant. > > The real reason that I'm posting is that I want to use a chip(s) that > are truly second sourced. We intend to produce this product for maybe > 10 years or so, so we don't want to have to be concerned about having > a chip manufacture stopping production. > > For example, I know that the Philips's P89V51RD2 is second sourced by > SST's SST89E516RD2. Atmel makes an AT89C51RD2, but the SPI signals > are pined out differently then the first two chips. But this is the > only second sourced chip that I can find with the above mentioned > requirements. I was wondering is anyone knows of other 8051 type chips > that are second sourced.
The SPI is a relatively new extension to the RD2 family. You can consider the AT89C51ED2 an 'almost' second source for AT89C51RD2 - the ED2 is the EEPROM version. For other suppliers of 44 Pin RD2[PCA+MoreRam] Cores, which I think is what you are asking,look at : Winbond, STC (China), STC89LE516RD+, STC89LE516AD Maxim?, maybe Syncmos maybe CoreRiver Ramtron have some std C51's, that may include RD2, Philips also have a new 89V664 being released. -jg
"george_d" <gdorian@powis.com> wrote in message
> I'm starting a new project and I intend to use an 8051 derivative. > Specifically, I'm looking for a chip that has at least 3MIPS, 64K > FLASH, an SPI port, and must be RoHS compliant. > > The real reason that I'm posting is that I want to use a chip(s) that > are truly second sourced. We intend to produce this product for maybe > 10 years or so, so we don't want to have to be concerned about having > a chip manufacture stopping production. > > For example, I know that the Philips's P89V51RD2 is second sourced by > SST's SST89E516RD2. Atmel makes an AT89C51RD2, but the SPI signals > are pined out differently then the first two chips. But this is the > only second sourced chip that I can find with the above mentioned > requirements. I was wondering is anyone knows of other 8051 type chips > that are second sourced. > > Thanks George > > gdorian@powis.com >
Try SiLabs... Bo
Hi Bo,

Thanks for the info!

Do you mean Silicon Labs?  I can't find a company named SiLabs.  Do you
know their web site?

Thanks george

> Hi Bo, > > Thanks for the info! > > Do you mean Silicon Labs? I can't find a company named SiLabs. Do you > know their web site?
Ehhrrr.... www.silabs.com ? Meindert
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your time and info!

I'm looking for 8051 derivatives other than the RD(2) family.  We
have three sources for that one.  But it's the only 8051 derivative
that I can find 2nd sources for.  Considering the popularity of the
8051, I'm surprised that other derivatives are not 2nd sourced.
I'm trying to find other 8051 derivatives (that are 2nd sourced).

Regards george

That's Silicon labs.  I know them.

They make some pretty amazing chips, but they don't have any 2nd
sources, and my company is apprehensive about no 2nd sources.
George

george_d wrote:
> That's Silicon labs. I know them. > > They make some pretty amazing chips, but they don't have any 2nd > sources, and my company is apprehensive about no 2nd sources.
Then you're probably out of luck; most of the interesting 8051 derivatives are sole-sourced. You could always do an 8051 in an FPGA. -a
> That's Silicon labs. I know them. > > They make some pretty amazing chips, but they don't have any 2nd > sources, and my company is apprehensive about no 2nd sources. > George
I hear that a lot. And I wonder if needing second sources is really a valid argument. It is used many times by 8051 "addicts" but there are so many processors around that do not have second sources. See for instance DSP's. I hear noboday complain about that. And look at the amount of PIC's used in automotive; no second source. Meindert
Meindert Sprang wrote:
> "george_d" <gdorian@powis.com> wrote in message > >> That's Silicon labs. I know them. >> >> They make some pretty amazing chips, but they don't have any 2nd >> sources, and my company is apprehensive about no 2nd sources. > > I hear that a lot. And I wonder if needing second sources is > really a valid argument. It is used many times by 8051 "addicts" > but there are so many processors around that do not have second > sources. See for instance DSP's. I hear noboday complain about > that. And look at the amount of PIC's used in automotive; no > second source.
I know of one firm that designed in an 80186 back during its heyday. At the time AMD was a second source. The application is super-critical, and required ungodly validation of both hardware and software, which validation costs much more than the development or manufacture. So they don't change a thing. When advised of EOL (end-of-life) of the 80188 they bought in a large amount of unpackaged but processed wafers so they could continue producing the system. They dread running out. New and shiny is not necessarily better. -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> Also see <http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>