Experience with Xilinx Microblaze kit?

Started by larwe February 23, 2006
> FWIW some of our more experienced SoC guys told me that as bad as Xilinx > was, Altera SoC was worse--but there mostly from the HW aspect, whereas Xilinx is worse from the > SW build environment.
As a HW engineer I found the Altera SoC environment to be a clean install, experiment -> build process. I am still very impressed with how this has been handled, NiosII is even better. Adding your interfaces to your own hardware from the core is easy enough, I've also worked through the tutorial to add custom hardware instructions but haven't used them in anger. When you've finished the SoC Builder outputs a complete development environment specific to the core you've just built including descriptions of any custom interfaces. My only problem was initially not understanding the software build environment, I'm sure it was taking me much longer to do software respins than it should have. Nial
I've only had a good play with the digilentinc xupv2pro + edk <http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Nav1=Products&Nav2=Programmable&Prod=XUPV2P> <http://www.xilinx.com/univ/xupv2p.html> Only small to medium projects. Nothing large
> > Has anyone here worked with this kit? The documentation is a bit vague > about what exactly comes with the board, software-wise. Specifically: > They talk about "evaluation" versions of numerous cores such as UARTs, > Ethernet MACs, etc - what is "evaluation" about them? They also imply > that the synthesis software is not a full version.
Some of the cores in the edk 7 are not the full versions. Uart lite is fine and does everything I've needed. Ethernet mac I think is only a six month license ?? There is all the opencores stuff you can use with a bit of work. Some easily others not so. Do not know about edk 8 as we haven't recieved our copy yet. Usually with the boards ise and edk are only 60 day versions not full software. The ML403 has full version of ise base x but not the edk. Can also get system generator which plugs into matlab.
> Does the kit include enough host-side software for me to roll, say, an > ADC and a display controller in the FPGA (the included TFT-LCD > controller is probably not exactly what I want)? I'd like to be able to > build a simple digital spectrum analyzer and signal generator with this > board (audio bandwidth).
Yes to all of those depending on bandwidth and sample rate.
I 've had the denix linux up and running following the instructions below on a xupv2pro. Get the platform cable as well , especially if you want to use chipscope pro and for debugging http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/publications/ds300.pdf Note windows only and make sure to use a usb2 high speed port. Do not have any other versions of cygwin installed on the machine especially not on the windows path(can screw with edk and TI code composer studio) See if you can get a xupv2pro to have a play with as well. A lot of projects on university websites. See if you can get xilinx to give you copies of the university program tutorials. Make sure to use a fast pc with lots of ram. The faster the better. Minimum of 1GB ram and lots of hard drive space with ise + edk you'll need at least 3GB free. Use two machines one for linux side and the other for windows versions of xilinx. Could try all linux but some programming hardware isn't supported (platform cable and builtin versions on some xilinx boards). From microblaze mailing list - are a few posts on ML403 there microblaze-uclinux mailing list microblaze-uclinux@itee.uq.edu.au Project Home Page : http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux Mailing List Archive : http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~listarch/microblaze-uclinux/ http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/IMPACT/gsrc/hardwarelab/docs/kernel-HOWTO.html ---------------------------------------- Hi Aurash, hi John, We are working with the PPC on virtex2p. You do not need Monta Vista Linux. All you need is denx eldk: http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDK And the penguin ppc linux distribution: http://www.penguinppc.org/kernel/#developers (we are using the 2.4 Kernel) To get started: http://www.klingauf.de/v2p/index.phtml might be helpful. On the other hand we are also using uClinux on spartan3. It is really a question of what hardware you have and what you want to do ;-) Have Fun Jan ------------------------------ Alex