First Cortex-M3 MCUs available

Started by Wilco Dijkstra March 27, 2006
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:43:22 +0200, Laurent
<laurent.desnogues@nowhere-in-arm.com> wrote:

>42Bastian Schick wrote: >>>GCC >> >> Which version. An official or patched version ? I use 3.4.4 > > Try this one: > >http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm
Thanks. Thought I had to pay for their port. (Like the gcc for c166 port). -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !
On 30 Mar 2006 11:25:20 +0100 (BST), Paul Gotch
Good hint. Will try to remove this manually. -- 42Bastian Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use <same-name>@monlynx.de instead !
Jim Granville wrote:
> ... and my original question still remains unanswered. > > Also, can anyone from Luminary explain why the ARM documents that were > on their web site are now removed ?
Does it really matter? I'm fairly sure the answer to this is "ARM asked us to do it". I remember an era not so long ago when you couldn't get the core datasheets except by ordering a free demo copy of the ARM ARM on CD and ignoring the compiler; they weren't even up on ARM's web site. I don't recall seeing direct download links to the ARM docs on any vendor sites; not even outside links to ARM's web site. (Not to say they don't exist, of course).
In comp.sys.arm 42Bastian Schick <bastian42@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Good hint. Will try to remove this manually.
Please research how to do this correctly via MS documentation first, I suspect it has to be unregistered to stop Windows attempting to load it on boot. Your mileage may vary ... on your own head be it if attempting to remove it manually breaks Windows etc. If you want a proper supported fix please contact ARM support with the problem. -p -- "What goes up must come down, ask any system administrator" --------------------------------------------------------------------
42Bastian Schick <bastian42@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks. Thought I had to pay for their port. (Like the gcc for c166 > port).
The situation with respect to that port is interesting. It's vaguely possible that they could dump the intermediate respresentation from GCC and pass that through a closed source back end without violating the GPL. However if they've made modifications to any part of GCC itself then they must make an offer of the source to any one they have distributed a binary to. They are perfectly entitled to only distribute that binary by selling it. However they then cannot stop you distributing the modified GCC source to anyone else, they can only stop you redistributing their separate closed source components. The Code Sourcery GCCs are downloadable in both source and binary form and as I mentioned periodically get folded back into the official mainline GCC. -p -- "What goes up must come down, ask any system administrator" --------------------------------------------------------------------
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:41:33 +1200, Jim Granville
<no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote:

> Also, can anyone from Luminary explain why the ARM documents that were >on their web site are now removed ?
A person from ARM said "because they are preliminary". Urk! There seem to be times when "upper" layers at ARM don't listen to the people at the coalface. The same was also true before the introduction of commodity ARM7 parts. I suspect that ARM, as opposed to Luminary, are chasing very high volume *core* design ins at this stage. I wish Luminary well. Stephen -- Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web: http://www.mpeforth.com - free VFX Forth downloads
How do we interface gdb to the cortex-m3? I understand existing
Wigglers don't work. Does anyone sell Wiggers that do work with it?

Eric wrote:
> How do we interface gdb to the cortex-m3? I understand existing > Wigglers don't work. Does anyone sell Wiggers that do work with it?
The Cortex-M3 has two debug interfaces - a traditional 4-wire JTAG interface (TCK, TMS, TDI and TDO), and a single-wire debug (SWD) interface. Someone at the Luminary forum reported that they successfully used a standard Wiggler with the 4-wire interface. The SWD on the other hand might be too much for a simple device like a Wiggler to handle. To use GDB, you'd need something that translates e.g. the GDB remote protocol into the low-level JTAG signals. There's a RDI-GDB stub available for some of the commercial debuggers, maybe you could use one of these. Regards, Dominic
<dominic.rath@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Eric wrote: >> How do we interface gdb to the cortex-m3? I understand existing >> Wigglers don't work. Does anyone sell Wiggers that do work with it? > > The Cortex-M3 has two debug interfaces - a traditional 4-wire JTAG > interface (TCK, TMS, TDI and TDO), and a single-wire debug (SWD) > interface. Someone at the Luminary forum reported that they > successfully used a standard Wiggler with the 4-wire interface. > The SWD on the other hand might be too much for a simple device like a > Wiggler to handle. > > To use GDB, you'd need something that translates e.g. the GDB remote > protocol into the low-level JTAG signals. There's a RDI-GDB stub > available for some of the commercial debuggers, maybe you could use one > of these.
I think the CodeSourcery/Luminary Micro setup allows GDB to talk directly to the dev kit over a USB interface. No need for a wiggler for that particular setup. Regards, Richard. http://www.FreeRTOS.org *Now for ARM CORTEX M3*
Dominic,

Do you think your OpenOCD will work with these chips? Do you think the
Cortex-M3 4-wire JTAG interface is compatible with older ARM7TDMI JTAG
interfaces?

I hope we can get Olimex or someone else to make low cost dev boards.
I'd really like to play with these devices.

Eric