TI MSP430

Started by Gary Reichlinger April 3, 2006
     The TI MSP430 looks like an interesting chip.  The low power
operation allows 16 bit adc onchip.  Now they seem to be doing the
sort of things that microchip did in the past such as free seminars
and low cost development tools.  Like most companies, we have a lot of
software written for other microcontrollers, but we will certainly
look at TI for new designs.   www.ti.com/ez430
Gary Reichlinger wrote:
> The TI MSP430 looks like an interesting chip. The low power
OK, I can't argue with anything you say here - but why are you sharing?
larwe wrote:
> Gary Reichlinger wrote: > > The TI MSP430 looks like an interesting chip. The low power > > OK, I can't argue with anything you say here - but why are you sharing?
Regardless of his motive, it's a good thing to share. I just registered for it. This info is better than many of the stupid question of the day posting here.
Gary Reichlinger wrote:
> The TI MSP430 looks like an interesting chip. [ ... ]
> www.ti.com/ez430 Hmmm... they took out a full page ad in Circuit Cellar Ink last month with this, but the ti web site didn't know a thing about that page. Now the session's filled up. Mel.
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:25:37 -0400, Mel Wilson
<mwilson-to@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Gary Reichlinger wrote: >> The TI MSP430 looks like an interesting chip. [ ... ] > > www.ti.com/ez430 > >Hmmm... they took out a full page ad in Circuit Cellar Ink >last month with this, but the ti web site didn't know a >thing about that page. Now the session's filled up. > > Mel.
Put yourself on the wait list. They will probably open up a new session if enough do that (and they probably will -- it happened here that way here in Portland, Oregon.) Jon
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:25:37 -0400, Mel Wilson > <mwilson-to@sympatico.ca> wrote: >>Gary Reichlinger wrote: >>> The TI MSP430 looks like an interesting chip. [ ... ] >>>www.ti.com/ez430 >> >>Hmmm... they took out a full page ad in Circuit Cellar Ink >>last month with this, but the ti web site didn't know a >>thing about that page. Now the session's filled up. >> > Put yourself on the wait list. They will probably open up a new > session if enough do that (and they probably will -- it happened here > that way here in Portland, Oregon.)
Did that, got my fingers crossed. If Oregon, why not Toronto? Cheers, Mel.
linnix wrote:

> Regardless of his motive, it's a good thing to share. I just
Get on their (email) mailing list. This one came through the mailing list a while ago - a month, maybe.
<mwilson-to@sympatico.ca> wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

> Gary Reichlinger wrote: > > The TI MSP430 looks like an interesting chip. [ ... ] > > www.ti.com/ez430 > > Hmmm... they took out a full page ad in Circuit Cellar Ink > last month with this, but the ti web site didn't know a > thing about that page. Now the session's filled up. > > Mel.
It's probably not really "filled up". TI's web software for their seminars, at least the free ones, always seems to work this way. When you register, even if you are the first to register, you always get this message. At least that's been my experience. You'll probably get another email shortly that you can get in. -- Jack Klein Home: http://JK-Technology.Com FAQs for comp.lang.c http://c-faq.com/ comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html
Hello Mel,

>> Put yourself on the wait list. They will probably open up a new >> session if enough do that (and they probably will -- it happened here >> that way here in Portland, Oregon.) > > Did that, got my fingers crossed. If Oregon, why not Toronto? >
Maybe it's too freaking cold there :-) It did fill up fast, I registered a few hours after receiving the email from TI and the morning session was already booked out. Luckily they offer two sessions out here and the afternoon still had a slots. As Jon said, if there are enough on the list they might add an afternoon session in your area as well. Learned a lesson. Next time I won't wait for the email. As soon as the first ad is out it's time to give them a jingle. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Gary Reichlinger wrote:
> The TI MSP430 looks like an interesting chip. The low power > operation allows 16 bit adc onchip. Now they seem to be doing the > sort of things that microchip did in the past such as free seminars > and low cost development tools. Like most companies, we have a lot of > software written for other microcontrollers, but we will certainly > look at TI for new designs. www.ti.com/ez430
TI has an ad for the MSP430 on the back of the program for the Embedded Systems Conference in San Jose. You can buy the development tool (USB stick) for 1/2 price ($10), with the coupon code MS681LXD. I can think of a lot of applications for a chip like this.