Freescale (formerly Motorola)

Started by WaldemarIII November 15, 2004
Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:18:39 -0700, Dan Henry <dhenry@sprynet.com> > wrote: > > [...] > >>And for those who care, Microchip has some 6-pin MCUs. > > > None with ADC unfortunately. I had a perfect app, if such existed. > One analog in, one discrete out, a tiny bit of code, and presto... Oh > well.
Silicon Labs, and Philips (coming) also have 3mm x 3mm package uC, only theirs DO have ADC... -jg
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1335&dDocName=en010114
> for instance. >
Think the ATtiny13 and ATtiny15 (and soon t25/t45/t85) should fit that description nicely as well. -- Best Regards Ulf at atmel dot com These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:00:35 +0100, Oliver Betz wrote:

> "WaldemarIII" <bleek004@hotmail.com> wrote: > >>I was wondering why there are so few >>threads about the Freescale MCUs. > > because Motorola/Freescale seems to prefer big customers (e.g. > automotive), with direct support etc. and those rarely write in > newsgroups. >
There are active mailing lists for the 32-bit microcontrollers - I don't know about the small ones. We've also had lots of information from our distributers.
> The devices are not so simple to get in small quantities, there are no > "free" and good tools. You need to spend some money to have fun (e.g. > for a BDM interface).
For the smaller devices, the CodeWarrior tools are (as far as I know) free or cheap for limited sizes of program code, though they are expensive for the unlimited versions. BDM interfaces should be reasonably priced. For larger devices (i.e., 32-bit chips), there are gnu tools, cheap BDMs, and open-source OS'es. I can't comment much on the availability of small quantities, however.
"Oliver Betz" <OBetz@despammed.com> wrote in message
> "WaldemarIII" <bleek004@hotmail.com> wrote: >>I was wondering why there are so few >>threads about the Freescale MCUs. > because Motorola/Freescale seems to prefer big customers (e.g. > automotive), with direct support etc. and those rarely write in > newsgroups. > The devices are not so simple to get in small quantities, there are no > "free" and good tools. You need to spend some money to have fun (e.g. > for a BDM interface). >Can it be the price? >>Then perhaps the features that a > IMHO the performance/price ratio is similar to other uCs. > And the BDM interface is great (non-intrusive access to memory while > target is running). > Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
I have no problem getting the chips via www.digikey.com in small quantities. I haven't tried getting samples from Freescale yet.
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:15:24 +1300, Jim Granville
<no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote:

>Dave Hansen wrote: >> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:18:39 -0700, Dan Henry <dhenry@sprynet.com> >> wrote: >> >> [...] >> >>>And for those who care, Microchip has some 6-pin MCUs. >> >> >> None with ADC unfortunately. I had a perfect app, if such existed. >> One analog in, one discrete out, a tiny bit of code, and presto... Oh >> well. > > Silicon Labs, and Philips (coming) also have 3mm x 3mm package uC, >only theirs DO have ADC...
...and a heckuva lot more in a package twice the size of a PIC10... I've sorta given up on Cygnal/SiLabs. They look like fun chips to work with, and quite powerful, but every time I had Purchasing quote one of their controllers, it came out 2x the next worst competitor. Digikey's price for a single C8051F300 is over US$6.50, and about US$3.60 for 1500. And I don't need all that much power for the app I had in mind. The PIC10 is less than US$0.50 in quantity (Digikey's price for a single is about US$1). Anything less than a buck (with an 8-bit ADC) would have made it worthwhile. Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Stefan Stenzel <Stefan@OMITTHISStenzel.com> wrote in message news:<2vrm4cF2nq709U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> WaldemarIII wrote: > > > I was wondering why there are so few > > threads about the Freescale MCUs. > > They don't seem to be very popular, > > or am I wrong? > > Yes, you are wrong, Mot/Freescale is one of the biggest suppliers of > microcontrollers. The reason there are so few threads about these is > that everything about them is so very well documented that people just > don't have any problems to discuss about these wonderful semiconductors. > > Stefan
You forgot the ";-)" didn't you? Only able to talk about 68HC12 here, but the documentation to that part is about the worst piece of tech write I've ever seen. If you want unclear, obfuscating, verbose and chaotically organized docs, then go for Motorola. I don't dispute the status quo of documentation of other, marginal microcontroller vendors, but big big Motorola should be able to afford at least some input from a competent tech editor when producing another 400 page handbook for their mcu's. just my 0.2&#4294967295; Mark
David <david.nospam@westcontrol.removethis.com> wrote:

>> because Motorola/Freescale seems to prefer big customers (e.g. >> automotive), with direct support etc. and those rarely write in >> newsgroups. > >There are active mailing lists for the 32-bit microcontrollers - I don't
there are also very active lists for 8/16 bit controllers, but the people I wrote about also don't look/write in mailing lists. [...]
>> The devices are not so simple to get in small quantities, there are no >> "free" and good tools. You need to spend some money to have fun (e.g. >> for a BDM interface). > >For the smaller devices, the CodeWarrior tools are (as far as I know) free >or cheap for limited sizes of program code, though they are expensive for
4K for HC08, 12..16K? for HC12.
>the unlimited versions. BDM interfaces should be reasonably priced. For
but for a "really good" BDM interface you have to spend a noticeable amount.
>larger devices (i.e., 32-bit chips), there are gnu tools, cheap BDMs, and
GCC also for HC11/HC12 but last time when I looked at it (two years ago or so) producing poor code. Oliver -- Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference