Atmel ATmega2561 is no better than PIC16F84

Started by John B April 11, 2006
Op 12 Apr 2006 08:58:04 -0700 schreef larwe:

<snip>
> *sigh* I loathe summer. I have a little clock I built on my wall here, > counting down days, hours, minutes and seconds until winter > (12/21/2006, 19:22 UT). Can't wait for the first snow to come.
<OT> Ha, you don't have to wait _that_ long, it will be already in the very early morning, at 0.22 UT. 'Sterrengids 2006' (our product, 90-6638-051-9) says so. I'll look next week in Astronomical Tables of Jean Meeus to be sure though. </OT> -- Seasons greetings, Coos www.dekoepel.nl
Op Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:10:14 +0200 schreef Coos Haak:

> Op 12 Apr 2006 08:58:04 -0700 schreef larwe: > > <snip> >> *sigh* I loathe summer. I have a little clock I built on my wall here, >> counting down days, hours, minutes and seconds until winter >> (12/21/2006, 19:22 UT). Can't wait for the first snow to come. > > <OT> > Ha, you don't have to wait _that_ long, it will be already in > the very early morning, at 0.22 UT. > 'Sterrengids 2006' (our product, 90-6638-051-9) says so. > I'll look next week in Astronomical Tables of Jean Meeus to > be sure though. > </OT>
<OT> We still have to wait a little longer, it's 22 december! </OT> -- Coos
Bob scrobe on the papyrus:

.
.
.
> Have you tried using an index instead of a pointer? Your compiler may > already do what you want.
No I haven't but I will. . . .
> I'm curious why you need a single 64k+ lookup table. I've used LUT > approximations with one or more derivatives (see Jack Crenshaw's > book/articles) to reach 24-bit accuracy in a few hundred bytes > (including the code to evaluate the series). A 64k table seems like a > huge waste of space. > > Bob
Well, I'll let you into a little secret, what I'm actually trying to do is break the compiler that I use. The critical part is the 64K boundary crossing and generating a big LUT ensures that happens. At the moment I'm just using AVR Studio to see what happens, but when I find a fix I'll try the real silicon. >:-} I attended an Atmel seminar way back in November 2004 at which the mega256x series was announced. I asked the question then, if this problem would be fixed (it was the same in the mega128) and was assured that it would be. It seems they were wrong. -- John B

My source: <http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/EarthSeasons.html>
"John B" <spamj_baraclough@blockerzetnet.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet
> So I've finally got my precious samples of ATmega2561. With 256Kbytes > of Flash I should be able to store massive look-up tables, but wait a > minute the Flash memory is segmented into 64Kbyte lumps. The data sheet > states: > > "For ELPM/SPM instructions, the Z-pointer is a concatenation of RAMPZ, > ZH, and ZL" > > But is that really true? I find that I have the following instruction: > > ELPM Rd,Z+ > > which loads register Rd from the program memory pointed to by the > 24-bit concatenated Z pointer described so eloquently above. However I > find that the post increment only deals with ZH & ZL. The most > significant 8-bits in RAMPZ are not incremented when the ZH/ZL > combination wraps around and tables must not cross a 64K boundary. > > Ok, I suppose the 16F84 only had 256 byte pages but that was a long > time ago and I we have progressed a little since then, but clearly not > as much as I thought. > > -- > John B
According to the Instruction Set Reference Manual, it should increment. "This instruction can address the entire Program memory space. The Z-Pointer Register can either be left unchanged by the operation, or it can be incremented. The incrementation applies to the entire 24 bit concatenation of the RAMPZ and Z-pointer register" If it doesn't then I would say there is a bug in the core. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
larwe wrote:

... snip ...
> > *sigh* I loathe summer. I have a little clock I built on my wall > here, counting down days, hours, minutes and seconds until winter > (12/21/2006, 19:22 UT). Can't wait for the first snow to come.
The proper cure for summer is to get out of NYC. Come up to Maine, find fresh air, low humidity, fresh water, go swimming, etc. The black flies are gone by July 4th. If you really want it cold just do the swimming in the open ocean. Otherwise stick to fresh water. -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> Also see <http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
What are these black flies? -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
CBFalconer wrote:

> > *sigh* I loathe summer. I have a little clock I built on my wall > > The proper cure for summer is to get out of NYC. Come up to Maine,
I think Siberia is more my style. I want someplace to live where I can't see my neighbors, taxes are low, and the temps rarely or never go above 60F.
> black flies are gone by July 4th.
Eeee. I wonder if those are the same things I'm thinking of... back home in Australia there are some NASTY fly-shaped creatures that I believe to be the physical manifestation of some kind of demon. Very large (for flies), and bloodsucking. They'll go right into your feet through the stitching holes in your shoes, and light clothing doesn't deter them in the slightest. Unaffected by insect repellents, also.
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > CBFalconer wrote: > >> > *sigh* I loathe summer. I have a little clock I built on my wall >> >> The proper cure for summer is to get out of NYC. Come up to Maine, > > I think Siberia is more my style. I want someplace to live where I > can't see my neighbors, taxes are low, and the temps rarely or never go > above 60F. > >> black flies are gone by July 4th. > > Eeee. I wonder if those are the same things I'm thinking of... back > home in Australia there are some NASTY fly-shaped creatures that I > believe to be the physical manifestation of some kind of demon. Very > large (for flies), and bloodsucking. They'll go right into your feet > through the stitching holes in your shoes, and light clothing doesn't > deter them in the slightest. Unaffected by insect repellents, also.
I believe the creature you're referring to is called a "taxation officer" -Andrew M (in Oz)
Andrew M wrote:

> > home in Australia there are some NASTY fly-shaped creatures that I > > believe to be the physical manifestation of some kind of demon. Very > > > I believe the creature you're referring to is called a "taxation officer"
Hopefully not too many of those in Ballarat, which is approximately where I saw these horrific beasts. We had a couple of acres there many years ago, on which we put two red rattlers when they were being decommissioned. (Someone stole them. How do you steal two 60-foot railway carriages?) Great place to spend time, except that the entire property was riddled with mining survey holes a foot across and 30-60 feet deep. Mostly overgrown with bracken, of course.