Pinouts for In Circuit Serial Programming - Willem II programmer

Started by Scott Hooper November 10, 2004
I have a Willem II programmer with an ICSP header. The programmer has
always been fine for my little PIC16F84's. Today I bought myself a
PIC16F872 which actually needs to be programmed via the ICSP
interface. I have hunted all over the internet but can't find anwhere
a definition for the pins or where on the PIC they're meant to hook up
to. Anyone ever used the Willem ICSP interface? How the heck do you
hook it up?

Cheers
Hi Scott,

	Searching the net will not make up for not reading the manual.

	Page 102 of the data sheet states:

	"For complete details of serial programming, please
	refer to the EEPROM Memory Programming Specification
	for the PIC16F87X (DS39025). "

	This manual is located at:
	<http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39025f.pdf>

	I have found this setup chart to be invaluable.
	<http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50032d.pdf>

hamilton

hamilton <hamilton@deminsional.com> wrote in message news:<419249df$1_1@omega.dimensional.com>...
> Hi Scott, > > Searching the net will not make up for not reading the manual. > > Page 102 of the data sheet states: > > "For complete details of serial programming, please > refer to the EEPROM Memory Programming Specification > for the PIC16F87X (DS39025). " > > This manual is located at: > <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39025f.pdf> > > I have found this setup chart to be invaluable. > <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50032d.pdf> > > hamilton > > Scott Hooper wrote: > > I have a Willem II programmer with an ICSP header. The programmer has > > always been fine for my little PIC16F84's. Today I bought myself a > > PIC16F872 which actually needs to be programmed via the ICSP > > interface. I have hunted all over the internet but can't find anwhere > > a definition for the pins or where on the PIC they're meant to hook up > > to. Anyone ever used the Willem ICSP interface? How the heck do you > > hook it up? > > > > Cheers
Hi Hamilton, Thanks very much for the response. I should have been more explicit in my original post. It's not the PIC end I have a problem with; it's the Willem programmer. It has a five pin header simply marked "ISCIP" with Pin 1 identified. During idle time a multimeter reading (set to DC) shows for each pin: (1) 10.2V, (2) 2.9V, (3)8mV, (4)46mV and (5) ~150mV. Any thoughts? Scott

Scott Hooper wrote:

>> I have found this setup chart to be invaluable. >> <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50032d.pdf> >> >>hamilton >>
> shows for each pin: (1) 10.2V, (2) 2.9V, (3)8mV, (4)46mV and (5) > ~150mV. >
Hi Scott, Look at the setup chart. By the looks of your voltages, it would seem that Willem have followed the same pin out. pin 1 = VPP on RESET pin 2 = VCC for the chip pin 3 = GND for the chip pin 4 = PGD ICSP DATA pin 5 = PGC ICSP CLOCK Have you tried to program a part, and it did not work ?? Do you have a crystal on the chip ?
hamilton <hamilton@deminsional.com> wrote in message news:<419389b9_1@omega.dimensional.com>...
> Scott Hooper wrote: > > >> I have found this setup chart to be invaluable. > >> <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50032d.pdf> > >> > >>hamilton > >> > > > shows for each pin: (1) 10.2V, (2) 2.9V, (3)8mV, (4)46mV and (5) > > ~150mV. > > > > Hi Scott, > > Look at the setup chart. > > By the looks of your voltages, it would seem that Willem have followed > the same pin out. > > pin 1 = VPP on RESET > pin 2 = VCC for the chip > pin 3 = GND for the chip > pin 4 = PGD ICSP DATA > pin 5 = PGC ICSP CLOCK > > Have you tried to program a part, and it did not work ?? > Do you have a crystal on the chip ?
Hi Hamilton, I couldn't read that pdf; kept getting an "operand error". Apparently it's common with pdf's written in an old version of acrobat. Anyway, your interpretation above works perfectly!! I'm programming, verifying and erasing like a madman!! Thanks very much for your effort. It is people like you, sharing their knowledge with the community, that save guys like me a lot of frustration. Kind regards, Scott