SoC w/802.11b (for wireless temp/light sensor)

Started by Eric Brown May 22, 2006
I'd like to use an inexpensive micro-controller (like Atmel's AVR -- I
like the Butterfly demo board but would like other suggestions). And
then add 802.11 for broadcasting temperature readings. I saw a few
serial-to-WiFi devices, but they're all > $100. Yet I can buy a
USB->WiFi dongle for ~$15. Still, many micro-controllers don't support
USB either and I don't want to run Linux (unless there's a really
compact form of it) or write fancy USB or TCP drivers.

Its been a long time since I've been in the embedded space and my
head's kind of swimming. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric
yogieric -- on -- gmail

Eric Brown wrote:
> I'd like to use an inexpensive micro-controller (like Atmel's AVR -- I > like the Butterfly demo board but would like other suggestions). And > then add 802.11 for broadcasting temperature readings.
802.11 is overkill for temperature readings. You can probably use a simple RF link.
>I saw a few > serial-to-WiFi devices, but they're all > $100. Yet I can buy a > USB->WiFi dongle for ~$15.
They are mostly for USB hosts.
> Still, many micro-controllers don't support > USB either
Few supports devices and even fewer supports host.
> and I don't want to run Linux (unless there's a really > compact form of it) or write fancy USB or TCP drivers. > > Its been a long time since I've been in the embedded space and my > head's kind of swimming. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks! > Eric > yogieric -- on -- gmail
linnix wrote:
> Eric Brown wrote: > > I'd like to use an inexpensive micro-controller (like Atmel's AVR -- I > > like the Butterfly demo board but would like other suggestions). And > > then add 802.11 for broadcasting temperature readings. > > 802.11 is overkill for temperature readings. > You can probably use a simple RF link.
Huge overkill. The spec is 528 pages at least. If all you want to do is record and broadcast temperature readings, you should look for integrated micro+RF. Try: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=76 Or: http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/cc1010.html You can do your own search on Google using "integrated microcontroller RF transceiver". I have no experience with these but came across them while looking for something else. -Le Chaud Lapin-
"Le Chaud Lapin" <unoriginal_username@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<stuff>

Ok. Consider me wossname. Why "Le Chaud Lapin"? (translation: "the rabbit
hot", except in Canadian, where all bets are off....)

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Steve at fivetrees wrote:
> "Le Chaud Lapin" <unoriginal_username@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:1148356398.719174.234020@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > <stuff> > > Ok. Consider me wossname. Why "Le Chaud Lapin"? (translation: "the rabbit > hot", except in Canadian, where all bets are off....)
It's the name of a sexually-oriented movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071305/) and my nickname that was given to me while on vacation in France long ago. As I read slowly from the ticket stub, with an American English accent, "Luh...Chawwwd Lap Inn..." several young french women amused themselves at my ignorance about what I was saying, and so it stuck. My French has improved considerably, but the name has remained honorary, as I an neither hot, nor a rabbit. ;) -Le Chaud Lapin-
Thanks, but I want to set this up in houses and then have it send data
directly to my server. I want to make just one part, not the
transceiver and a separate receiver. The 802.11 base station is the
receiver I want to use.

802.11 is complex, but it should be getting cheap enough that there is
the possibility for inexpensive low-bandwidth solutions.

Eric Brown wrote:
> 802.11 is complex, but it should be getting cheap enough that there is > the possibility for inexpensive low-bandwidth solutions.
It's simply not used for these sorts of applications. You use 802.11 when your application already requires a 32-bit micro. Temperature sensors are either wireless - in which case 802.11 is too power-hungry - or wired, in which case PLC is used.
Greetings Eric,

The Atmel AT90USB1287 is an USB OTG controller. Basically it is a
Mega128 with USB connectivity. I am not going to tell you a lot about
overkill etc - for that is not what you asked for ;-)

With the AT90USB1287 you should be able to connect with a WIFI-dongle. I
am interested in seeing how you make the sw on the other side. One
suggestion woulf be to let the AT90USB1287 act as an FTP-client as it
uploads the data to the server.

Good luck with it :-)

/RaceMouse

Rasmus Fink wrote:
> Greetings Eric, > > The Atmel AT90USB1287 is an USB OTG controller. Basically it is a > Mega128 with USB connectivity. I am not going to tell you a lot about > overkill etc - for that is not what you asked for ;-)
OK, you can build the hardware for it, or get the atmel USB key for $30. Add another $20 to $30 for a Wifi adapter.
> > With the AT90USB1287 you should be able to connect with a WIFI-dongle. I > am interested in seeing how you make the sw on the other side. One > suggestion woulf be to let the AT90USB1287 act as an FTP-client as it > uploads the data to the server.
FTP is an overkill. You can just UDP a 8 to 10 bits number every few seconds. Temperature don't change so often.