AC current measure

Started by Pietje Bell June 14, 2006
Hi,

For a small project I need to measure the current through an AC
lightbulb. I am using a microcontroller with AD converter and a triac to
control it.

Any suggestions for the current sensor?

http://rswww.com for example: # RS Stock no. 189-5477 # Manufacturer Honeywell # Manufact. part no. CSNE151 But since you are using a triac you may need to do an RMS conversion in your software or use a true RMS ic to get a meaningfull result martin
Pietje Bell wrote:
> > For a small project I need to measure the current through an AC > lightbulb. I am using a microcontroller with AD converter and a > triac to control it. > > Any suggestions for the current sensor?
First, define current. I am serious. Peak, RMS, etc. Then consider its relation to things you can measure, such as instantaneous voltage across a resistor, bearing in mind the actual waveform on the device. You might want to measure the actual light output. -- Some informative links: news:news.announce.newusers http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
"Pietje Bell" <nospam538@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > For a small project I need to measure the current through an AC lightbulb. > I am using a microcontroller with AD converter and a triac to control it. > > Any suggestions for the current sensor?
How about wrapping a coil or wire around the flex to the lightbulb and using use the current induced in the coil to produce a voltage across a resistor? Then you can use an A/D to measure the voltage and do some maths to relate it to current in the flex. Of course this would be an AC voltage so rather than trying to convert to DC maybe just take lots of measurements with the A/D and use the peak. This is a method I'd been mulling over using so I'd be interested to see what the wise people on this ng have to say about whether it has a hope of working.
Pietje Bell wrote:
> Hi, > > For a small project I need to measure the current through an AC > lightbulb. I am using a microcontroller with AD converter and a triac to > control it. > > Any suggestions for the current sensor?
Light bulb like a 60 or 100 W one at 220 V AC, well, just use a 1 Ohm resistor to get a mV per milliamp, do some amplification and if the MCU can sample this every few microseconds you are done whether you need current, power etc. Dimiter ------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments http://www.tgi-sci.com ------------------------------------------------------
That will work, but the sampling circuitry will not be isolated from the mains line. Tom Lucas wrote:
> How about wrapping a coil or wire around the flex to the >lightbulb and using use the current induced in the coil to >produce a voltage across a resistor? >... >This is a method I'd been mulling over using so I'd be >interested to see what the wise people on this ng have >to say about whether it has a hope of working.
"Wise people" say it will work, only they call it a "current transformer" ;-) It also provides galvanic isolation, unlike the previous (also working) approach. They are commonly implemented as transformers on a toroidal core. The only thing to keep is mind is selecting a core/wire-loop-count that will not saturate under the expected measurement range.

Like these: http://www.crmagnetics.com/newprod/ProductView.asp?ProdName=CR8401 http://www.flex-core.com/2rl-7rl-photo.htm More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer#Current_transformers http://leeh.ee.tut.fi/transformer/tra3.htm
"Roberto Waltman" <usenet@rwaltman.net> wrote in message
> Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.net> wrote: > >>>Pietje Bell wrote: >>>> ...I need to measure the current through an AC >>>> lightbulb. >>Tom Lucas wrote: >>> How about wrapping a coil or wire ... > >>...they call it a "current transformer" > > Like these: > > http://www.crmagnetics.com/newprod/ProductView.asp?ProdName=CR8401 > http://www.flex-core.com/2rl-7rl-photo.htm > > More info: > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer#Current_transformers > http://leeh.ee.tut.fi/transformer/tra3.htm
Horny. Thanks for that, it's gratifying to think that I've learned _something_ analogue after all these years! Any ideas how much they cost of the top of your head? There you go Pietje, it seems that it is possible but the series way is probably simpler if it is acceptable. I'd do this for the fun of it though.
"Tom Lucas" wrote:
( about current transformers )
> ...Any ideas how much they cost of the top of your head?
No.
>There you go Pietje, it seems that it is possible but the series way is >probably simpler if it is acceptable. I'd do this for the fun of it though.
To the OP: For a one of a kind project, you could improvise using any old transformer core, specially if you are willing to spend the time calibrating it for your particular application. (Doesn't mater if the core is not toroidal, doesn't mater if the transfer function is not linear, doesn't mother if the field leaks, etc.)
Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.net> writes:
> "Didi" <dp@tgi-sci.com> wrote: > >Pietje Bell wrote: > >> For a small project I need to measure the current through an AC > >> lightbulb. I am using a microcontroller with AD converter and a triac to > >> control it. > >> > >> Any suggestions for the current sensor? > > > >Light bulb like a 60 or 100 W one at 220 V AC, well, just > >use a 1 Ohm resistor to get a mV per milliamp, do some > >amplification and if the MCU can sample this every few microseconds > >you are done whether you need current, power etc. > > That will work, but the sampling circuitry will not be isolated from > the mains line. > > Tom Lucas wrote: > > How about wrapping a coil or wire around the flex to the > >lightbulb and using use the current induced in the coil to > >produce a voltage across a resistor? > >... > >This is a method I'd been mulling over using so I'd be > >interested to see what the wise people on this ng have > >to say about whether it has a hope of working. > > "Wise people" say it will work, only they call it a "current > transformer" ;-) It also provides galvanic isolation, unlike the > previous (also working) approach. > They are commonly implemented as transformers on a toroidal core. > The only thing to keep is mind is selecting a core/wire-loop-count > that will not saturate under the expected measurement range.
And frequency.