MSP430 question

Started by mc July 31, 2006
If I wanted to program 14-pin DIP MSP430s, is it as simple as taking an
eZ430 target module, removing the surface-mounted MSP430, and wiring a DIP
socket to the 14 pin terminals?

YES MIKE -- www.oho-elektronik.de OHO-Elektronik Michael Randelzhofer FPGA und CPLD Mini Module Klein aber oho !
mc wrote:
> If I wanted to program 14-pin DIP MSP430s, is it as simple as taking an > eZ430 target module, removing the surface-mounted MSP430, and wiring a DIP > socket to the 14 pin terminals?
yes... but why not just wire the Spy Bi-Wire interface to a header? That's all you need. The interface between the FET and the target board is gnd, vcc and two SBW wires.
"larwe" <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > mc wrote: >> If I wanted to program 14-pin DIP MSP430s, is it as simple as taking an >> eZ430 target module, removing the surface-mounted MSP430, and wiring a >> DIP >> socket to the 14 pin terminals? > > yes... but why not just wire the Spy Bi-Wire interface to a header? > That's all you need. The interface between the FET and the target board > is gnd, vcc and two SBW wires.
What kind of connector would I need to connect to the little programming module?
mc wrote:

> > yes... but why not just wire the Spy Bi-Wire interface to a header? > > That's all you need. The interface between the FET and the target board > > is gnd, vcc and two SBW wires. > > What kind of connector would I need to connect to the little programming > module?
The part number is in the manual for the ez430. At a pinch you can use four strands of wire.
larwe wrote:
> The part number is in the manual for the ez430. At a pinch you can use > four strands of wire.
Not all MSP430's have spy-by-wire. Make sure you use one that does, or EZ430 won't work.
> > mc wrote: > >> > yes... but why not just wire the Spy Bi-Wire interface to a header? >> > That's all you need. The interface between the FET and the target board >> > is gnd, vcc and two SBW wires. >> >> What kind of connector would I need to connect to the little programming >> module? > > The part number is in the manual for the ez430. At a pinch you can use > four strands of wire.
Thanks. It's a Mill-Max 851-93-004-20-001000. This is simply a socket for 4 pins 0.05 inch apart (half of the more familiar spacing). It seems to be a hard thing to find, though. It may be cheaper to buy a second ez430 and take the chip off the target board.
Is that 4 SIL or two rows of 4? Either way, Farnell have them, though you'll have to chop up a bigger connector- http://tinyurl.com/ruovt.
Clifford Heath wrote:

> > The part number is in the manual for the ez430. At a pinch you can use > > four strands of wire. > > Not all MSP430's have spy-by-wire. Make sure > you use one that does, or EZ430 won't work.
The OP specified 14-DIP, and AFAIK the _only_ parts that are available in this package are from the 430F2xxx series (i.e. all have SBW).
"Paul Burke" <paul@scazon.com> wrote in message
> mc wrote: >> Thanks. It's a Mill-Max 851-93-004-20-001000. This is simply a socket >> for 4 pins 0.05 inch apart (half of the more familiar spacing). >> >> It seems to be a hard thing to find, though. It may be cheaper to buy a >> second ez430 and take the chip off the target board. > > Is that 4 SIL or two rows of 4? Either way, Farnell have them, though > you'll have to chop up a bigger connector- http://tinyurl.com/ruovt.
42p for the connector, probably 10 pounds to ship it here (USA)...