AVR trivia question

Started by mc August 5, 2006
"Mike Harrison" <mike@whitewing.co.uk> wrote in message
news:7a4id2taelmdlj3kj74i6bpvcne9liu2mb@4ax.com...

> This standardisation HAS to come from the chip manufacturer, to ensure > everyone does things the same > way and there is no room for arguing between third parties etc. It is also > essential that it is > defined for new chips as soon as they are released, i.e. in the first > release of the programming > spec and datasheet, which would also define standard names for all the > fuses, and these would be in > the device-specific .inc files. > Only the manufacturer can do this effectively. > > Come on guys, this is not rocket science.
Right. It needs to be implemented in a release of AVR Studio. Microchip (PIC) does it, even though their MPLAB is in some ways less up-to-date than AVR Studio.
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:53:15 -0400, "mc" <look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote:

> >"Mike Harrison" <mike@whitewing.co.uk> wrote in message >news:7a4id2taelmdlj3kj74i6bpvcne9liu2mb@4ax.com... > >> This standardisation HAS to come from the chip manufacturer, to ensure >> everyone does things the same >> way and there is no room for arguing between third parties etc. It is also >> essential that it is >> defined for new chips as soon as they are released, i.e. in the first >> release of the programming >> spec and datasheet, which would also define standard names for all the >> fuses, and these would be in >> the device-specific .inc files. >> Only the manufacturer can do this effectively. >> >> Come on guys, this is not rocket science. > >Right. It needs to be implemented in a release of AVR Studio.
The first thing that needs to happen is that Atmel need to define the way the data is embedded in the hex file. Nothing can usefully happen until then.
>Microchip (PIC) does it, even though their MPLAB is in some ways less >up-to-date than AVR Studio.
And in many ways better & more reliable. I use both extensively and find myself cursing AVR Studio much more frequently, although there are a few features lacking in MPLAB (e.g. right-click a variable to add a watch)
"mc" <look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> skrev i meddelandet
> "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message > news:ebb2be$pu6$3@emma.aioe.org... > >> Then write an application note which gets published by Atmel, and voila, >> the standard is there... > > Do Atmel and other companies routinely publish application notes written > by outsiders? >
Routinely is probably stretching it, but it happens. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
In article <ebd5to$99q$2@emma.aioe.org>, Ulf Samuelsson <ulf@a-t-m-e-
l.com> writes
>"mc" <look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> skrev i meddelandet >news:3f8Cg.11520$bo6.8306@bignews7.bellsouth.net... >> "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message >> news:ebb2be$pu6$3@emma.aioe.org... >> >>> Then write an application note which gets published by Atmel, and voila, >>> the standard is there... >> >> Do Atmel and other companies routinely publish application notes written >> by outsiders? >> > >Routinely is probably stretching it, but it happens. >
However lots of other places do.... Tool distributors, silicon distributors, trade and hobby magazines, web sites etc. It wont get you fame, It wont' get you any money and EVERYONE will remember the one bug in the app note -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
>>> Do Atmel and other companies routinely publish application notes written >>> by outsiders? >>> >> >>Routinely is probably stretching it, but it happens. >> > > However lots of other places do.... Tool distributors, silicon > distributors, trade and hobby magazines, web sites etc. > > It wont get you fame, It wont' get you any money and EVERYONE will > remember the one bug in the app note >
I think most semiconductor companies have programs wherew they pay a certain amount of money for an application. That does not mean that the money will arrive promptly after the appnote is published. I know about one episode where some U.K. FAEs working at National Semiconductor went to a meeting in Fuerstenfeldbruck, Munich, where the Natsemi European Headquarters are located. At night, in a pub, they saw the marketing guy responsible for paying out the reimbursion for the app notes so they turned him upside down and shook him until the poor marketeers wallet dropped out, and then they removed enough to be happy (while the marketeers wife was sobbing close by). They were happy until the new funds ran out, and then they went back for more ... -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference