Simple, embedded USB host for digital camera control

Started by Ric August 14, 2006
On 14 Aug 2006 11:01:27 -0700, "Ric" <ricspam@mpc.com.br> wrote:

>Hello, World! > >I want to remotely control a digital camera (Canon Powershot S60, and >maybe others) for use in aerial photography (with kites, blimps, etc.) >
I did something like that with a cheap pencam usb camera. But the USB stuff is overkill. I simply opened the camera and made an external connection to the camera buttons. My setup simply used a micro to "press the buttons" every 30 or 60 seconds. After bringing the kite down I transfer the images to a laptop over USB. There are older type digital cameras that also have a serial interface (option), but these tend to be on the heavy side to get them airborne when there is not a lot of wind. Joop
Hi Joop!

Joop wrote:
> I did something like that with a cheap pencam usb camera. But the USB > stuff is overkill. I simply opened the camera and made an external > connection to the camera buttons.
At first, I was also planning to do the same, but I want good quality images and resolution, using a good compact camera (or even a SLR). And I really don't want to void warranty nor deface a good looking, expensive camera. ;-) []s!
On 18 Aug 2006 05:21:23 -0700, "Ric" <ricspam@mpc.com.br> wrote:

>Hi Joop! > >Joop wrote: >> I did something like that with a cheap pencam usb camera. But the USB >> stuff is overkill. I simply opened the camera and made an external >> connection to the camera buttons. > >At first, I was also planning to do the same, but I want good quality >images and resolution, using a good compact camera (or even a SLR). And >I really don't want to void warranty nor deface a good looking, >expensive camera. ;-) > >[]s!
The other thing you can do is use the Canon remote control. A quick search shows it can be had for $30. You could rig the buttons on this remote. Then your camera is still in one piece.
Joop wrote:
> On 18 Aug 2006 05:21:23 -0700, "Ric" <ricspam@mpc.com.br> wrote:
> The other thing you can do is use the Canon remote control. A quick > search shows it can be had for $30. You could rig the buttons on this > remote. Then your camera is still in one piece.
It was my first idea, but the remote control is very limited. As I stated previously, I don't want just a triggering system. With Canon's remote control you can't change shooting parameters as I want to (on some camera/remote models you can't even control the zoom)... []s!