Mindstorms NXT

Started by Dave September 1, 2006
There is a review of the new Mindstorms NXT at

   http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/mindstorms.ars

Short summary:  32-bit ARM7 micro, USB 2.0, Bluetooth, 4 input ports, 3
output ports, only (!) $250 USD for the kit.

    ~Dave~
Dave wrote:
> There is a review of the new Mindstorms NXT at > > http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/mindstorms.ars > > Short summary: 32-bit ARM7 micro, USB 2.0, Bluetooth, 4 input ports, 3 > output ports, only (!) $250 USD for the kit.
Does anyone know which Arm chip they're using? I applied for their early developers program but I never got a response from them. Eric
"Dave" <dave@comteck.com> wrote in message
> There is a review of the new Mindstorms NXT at > > http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/mindstorms.ars > > Short summary: 32-bit ARM7 micro, USB 2.0, Bluetooth, 4 input ports, > 3 > output ports, only (!) $250 USD for the kit. >
Bugger. I've only had the original kit for 8 months and now they bring out a new one. Actually I need to find more time to sit and play with^H^H^H conduct experiments with my existing kit. Quite a few of the schools around here do the First Lego League so once the new challenge is announced I might put something together and see what I can do. One wondered whether it would be fair for a qualified adult engineer to compete amongst 12 year old children but they have loads of kids in a team and I am on my own so I think it is about right ;-)
"Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Dave wrote: >> There is a review of the new Mindstorms NXT at >> >> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/mindstorms.ars >> >> Short summary: 32-bit ARM7 micro, USB 2.0, Bluetooth, 4 input ports, 3 >> output ports, only (!) $250 USD for the kit. > > Does anyone know which Arm chip they're using? I applied for their > early developers program but I never got a response from them. >
It seems from their website, that it is only available in the U.S. but it should be possible to order if you have a U.S shipping address. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson
"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message
> "Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:1157256759.549243.177650@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... >> >> Dave wrote: >>> There is a review of the new Mindstorms NXT at >>> >>> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/mindstorms.ars >>> >>> Short summary: 32-bit ARM7 micro, USB 2.0, Bluetooth, 4 input ports, 3 >>> output ports, only (!) $250 USD for the kit. >> >> Does anyone know which Arm chip they're using? I applied for their >> early developers program but I never got a response from them. >> > > It seems from their website, that it is only available in the U.S. but > it should be possible to order if you have a U.S shipping address.
Well, I have three NXT kits here in the UK, so I guess that qualifies as non-US shipping. The processor is the SAM7S256. Hardware schematics are publicly available. -- Paul.
>> It seems from their website, that it is only available in the U.S. but >> it should be possible to order if you have a U.S shipping address. > > Well, I have three NXT kits here in the UK, so I guess that qualifies as > non-US shipping. > > The processor is the SAM7S256. Hardware schematics are publicly > available. > > -- Paul.
OK, so it is official now :-) -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
"Paul Curtis" <plc@rowley.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com> wrote in message > news:edidje$rot$2@emma.aioe.org... >> "Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet >> news:1157256759.549243.177650@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... >>> >>> Dave wrote: >>>> There is a review of the new Mindstorms NXT at >>>> >>>> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/mindstorms.ars >>>> >>>> Short summary: 32-bit ARM7 micro, USB 2.0, Bluetooth, 4 input >>>> ports, 3 >>>> output ports, only (!) $250 USD for the kit. >>> >>> Does anyone know which Arm chip they're using? I applied for their >>> early developers program but I never got a response from them. >>> >> >> It seems from their website, that it is only available in the U.S. >> but >> it should be possible to order if you have a U.S shipping address. > > Well, I have three NXT kits here in the UK, so I guess that qualifies > as non-US shipping. > > The processor is the SAM7S256. Hardware schematics are publicly > available.
The Lego shop at the Bluewater shopping centre has a couple of kits available for demonstration and I was very impressed with it at the weekend. I might have to consider investing...

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference