HUmidity sensor

Started by Giorgis October 9, 2006
I would like to design a datalogger with a temp & humidity sensor. I
would like to make the whole thing compact and self contained but never
the less accurate. Any pointers ?

Thanks

Giorgis wrote:
> I would like to design a datalogger with a temp & humidity sensor. I > would like to make the whole thing compact and self contained but never > the less accurate. Any pointers ?
That depends on what you want in terms of accuracy, response time, etc. The classic approach to doing this is "chilled mirror". You can also pick up some capacitance-based sensors though I don't think you will get the same sort of accuracy. And, there's some tricky math involved converting to the various different types of "moisture" measurements (you didn't say *what* measure of humidity you are interested in)
Don wrote:

> You can also pick up some capacitance-based sensors though I > don't think you will get the same sort of accuracy. And,
Are there not sensors based on "biabsorptive strips"? (At least, I don't know what else to call them). They are two strips of some fibrous material glued together and wound in a spiral, just like a bimetallic strip only sensitive to humidity rather than temperature.
Google for "Sensirion"

Regards
Ulrich Bangert

Another vote for Sensirion <http://www.sensirion.com/>. The things are small and give direct digital output. It needs some calculations, though. The interface is nearly I2C but not exactly. I'm using SHT-11's. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi
"Giorgis" <giorgis.3erolas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to design a datalogger with a temp & humidity sensor. I > would like to make the whole thing compact and self contained but > never > the less accurate. Any pointers ? > > Thanks > G
Place an egg cup on your window sill. If the egg cup is wet then it is raining. For additional accuracy draw horizontal lines on the egg cup. HTH
"Tom Lucas" <news@REMOVE_auto_THIS_flame_TO_REPLY.clara.co.uk> wrote in
message news:1160470546.76361.0@iris.uk.clara.net...
> Place an egg cup on your window sill. If the egg cup is wet then it is > raining. For additional accuracy draw horizontal lines on the egg cup.
Mmm.... a humidity sensor with built-in integration... Meindert
<snipp>
 > Place an egg cup on your window sill. If the egg cup is wet then it
is
> > raining. For additional accuracy draw horizontal lines on the egg cup. > > Mmm.... a humidity sensor with built-in integration... > > Meindert
Do I need to include the window sill in my embeded device ? Thanks guys, Good pointers ... a googling I shall go ... G