Circuit Cellar Contest - RF Transponder

Started by linnix October 11, 2006
I am drafting designer into the Circuit Cellar design contest, ($10,000
splits three ways).  We will be fitting an RF transponder into a cell
phone (with the orginal board removed).  So, we need experts in the
following area.

ISM band FSK RF transceiver
    TDA5100/5210
    TRF6903
FPGA/CPLD LCD controller (100x100)
    Xilinx Spartian/Cool Runner
ARM
    LM3SXXX (required)

I recomend the following list of people to head one of the projects.
If you are in this list, please indicate if you are willing to commit
to it.  For Ulf, yes, you need to do ARM, even if you work for Atmel.
Your challenge is to make it portable to AVR.  For everyone else,
please vote for one in each team or write in other candidates.  Thanks.

larwe
Tim Wescot
Paul Carpenter
Joerg
Ulf Samuelsson

linnix wrote:

> ISM band FSK RF transceiver > TDA5100/5210 > TRF6903
> I recomend the following list of people to head one of the projects.
I work with the TDA5xxx chips and others in my day job (short-range battery-powered radio stuff is my daily bread). So I am automatically eliminated; I can't work on this project because there is too much danger of accidental disclosure of something that just happens to be proprietary technology owned by my employer. Sorry.
larwe wrote:
> linnix wrote: > > > ISM band FSK RF transceiver > > TDA5100/5210 > > TRF6903 > > > I recomend the following list of people to head one of the projects. > > I work with the TDA5xxx chips and others in my day job (short-range > battery-powered radio stuff is my daily bread). So I am automatically > eliminated; I can't work on this project because there is too much > danger of accidental disclosure of something that just happens to be > proprietary technology owned by my employer. Sorry.
OK, thanks anyway. TRF6903 is the alternative. It's smaller and single chip, but the problem is the 2 4.7uH inductors, they are bigger than the RF chip. The TDAs are using only nH. So, we can't decide which one to use yet.
linnix wrote:

> > I work with the TDA5xxx chips and others in my day job (short-range > > battery-powered radio stuff is my daily bread). So I am automatically > > OK, thanks anyway. TRF6903 is the alternative. It's smaller and > single chip, but the problem is the 2 4.7uH inductors, they are bigger
Why are you worried? It's possible to build a complete transceiver based on the Infineon solution on a 2-layer PCB perhaps 1.5" x 1.5". Did you look at Melexis, by the way?
larwe wrote:
> linnix wrote: > > > > I work with the TDA5xxx chips and others in my day job (short-range > > > battery-powered radio stuff is my daily bread). So I am automatically > > > > OK, thanks anyway. TRF6903 is the alternative. It's smaller and > > single chip, but the problem is the 2 4.7uH inductors, they are bigger > > Why are you worried? It's possible to build a complete transceiver > based on the Infineon solution on a 2-layer PCB perhaps 1.5" x 1.5".
But the TDA5210 (FSK version is hard to get, for now). It's $3000 (1K) minimum order. TRF6903 is $4 each, in single. The materials in the contest has to be easy to get and the result reproductable.
> > Did you look at Melexis, by the way?
Will do so.
Hello Linnix,

> I am drafting designer into the Circuit Cellar design contest, ($10,000 > splits three ways). We will be fitting an RF transponder into a cell > phone (with the orginal board removed). So, we need experts in the > following area. > > ISM band FSK RF transceiver > TDA5100/5210 > TRF6903 > FPGA/CPLD LCD controller (100x100) > Xilinx Spartian/Cool Runner > ARM > LM3SXXX (required) > > I recomend the following list of people to head one of the projects. > If you are in this list, please indicate if you are willing to commit > to it. For Ulf, yes, you need to do ARM, even if you work for Atmel. > Your challenge is to make it portable to AVR. For everyone else, > please vote for one in each team or write in other candidates. Thanks. > > larwe > Tim Wescot > Paul Carpenter > Joerg > Ulf Samuelsson >
Thanks for the honors but I have to politely decline (involvement in a commercial wireless project). -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Hello Linnix,

Check out the Taiyo-Yuden CK series. Comes in 0603 size, about 1.6mm long. If you drop one of these it's pretty much guaranteed you won't find it anymore. Pretty low Q though (20 or so). Digikey usually has these in stock. They are cheap but I doubt they'd split a reel. As for RF transceiver chips check out Nordic Semi as well. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Joerg wrote:
> Hello Linnix, > > >> > >>>ISM band FSK RF transceiver > >>> TDA5100/5210 > >>> TRF6903 > >> > >>>I recomend the following list of people to head one of the projects. > >> > >>I work with the TDA5xxx chips and others in my day job (short-range > >>battery-powered radio stuff is my daily bread). So I am automatically > >>eliminated; I can't work on this project because there is too much > >>danger of accidental disclosure of something that just happens to be > >>proprietary technology owned by my employer. Sorry. > > > > > > OK, thanks anyway. TRF6903 is the alternative. It's smaller and > > single chip, but the problem is the 2 4.7uH inductors, they are bigger > > than the RF chip. The TDAs are using only nH. So, we can't decide > > which one to use yet. > > > > Check out the Taiyo-Yuden CK series. Comes in 0603 size, about 1.6mm > long. If you drop one of these it's pretty much guaranteed you won't > find it anymore. Pretty low Q though (20 or so). Digikey usually has > these in stock. They are cheap but I doubt they'd split a reel.
Yes, that would work. But for $3000 minimum order, they might be disqualified.
> > As for RF transceiver chips check out Nordic Semi as well. > > -- > Regards, Joerg > > http://www.analogconsultants.com
linnix wrote:
> Joerg wrote: > > Hello Linnix, > > > > >> > > >>>ISM band FSK RF transceiver > > >>> TDA5100/5210 > > >>> TRF6903 > > >> > > >>>I recomend the following list of people to head one of the projects. > > >> > > >>I work with the TDA5xxx chips and others in my day job (short-range > > >>battery-powered radio stuff is my daily bread). So I am automatically > > >>eliminated; I can't work on this project because there is too much > > >>danger of accidental disclosure of something that just happens to be > > >>proprietary technology owned by my employer. Sorry. > > > > > > > > > OK, thanks anyway. TRF6903 is the alternative. It's smaller and > > > single chip, but the problem is the 2 4.7uH inductors, they are bigger > > > than the RF chip. The TDAs are using only nH. So, we can't decide > > > which one to use yet. > > > > > > > Check out the Taiyo-Yuden CK series. Comes in 0603 size, about 1.6mm > > long. If you drop one of these it's pretty much guaranteed you won't > > find it anymore. Pretty low Q though (20 or so). Digikey usually has > > these in stock. They are cheap but I doubt they'd split a reel. > > Yes, that would work. But for $3000 minimum order, they might be > disqualified.
Correction. $300 (qty 3000) minimum. May or may not be acceptable.
Hello Linnix,

They should be more like 5c a pop for a reel. Don't know if Taiyo would sample a few. If you mention that it could get published they might. Another option may be a really tiny toroid. For a choke the actual value usually isn't critical. For the matching network after a resonator you might get away with that by changing the capacitor value. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com

Memfault Beyond the Launch