Opinions on Rowley CrossWorks for ARM

Started by Sebastian Schildt October 30, 2006
Hi Richard,

I did't want to be rude, but I really think you should improve on the
webpage. As a matter of fact, the FIRST impresison anyone gets from your
company nowadays is quite likely through visiting your webpage.Of course
your website's quality has nothing to do with with the quality of your
products (you can have a great wonderful page while your products are
just a p.o.s. or vice versa), however when visiting a website you don't
conciously *think* along those lines, but it's rather like your great,
massively parallel superocmputer in your head will automatically
generate all the prejudices you need in the background :)
What really puts me off, and doesn't really qualify as "professional"
(actually hard to define) in my book is on the first page, the first
thing I've to read:
"Lastly, proof that we must be doing a good job: Our competitors are
spreading FUD about us with manipulated "benchmarks" and "feature
comparisons." Perhaps the last gasp of the dinosaurs? "
Woohoo that's quite sth. to write on your frontpage. It's not about the
content in itself, but much more about the wording. The akronym "FUD"
might come in handy in a Linux/Microsoft flamefest, but putting it on
the frontpage of your company's website? The same goes for your
response. It's ok to discuss the benchmark in question from your point
of view, but again I think the form is quite suboptimal.
I mean, compare this with IAR's comparison here:
http://www.iar.se/index.php?show=43943_ENG&&page_anchor=http://www.iar.se/p43943/p43943_eng.php
It's not comprehensive or perhaps even fair by any means, but the style
is much more factual. Some serious looking diagrams showing that IAR
just rocks. If this were a presentation on your website, I would
probably read something like:
<exaggerated>
Whoa, and look what a piece o' sh** this so called professional compiler
Keil is, even worse than free hobbyist GCC"
</exaggerated>.
All that aside, personally I might decide to buy software from you. If I
   post/search in groups, and there are people praising how great your
software really is I'd buy it regardless of your webdesign. However I am
absolutely sure that in this case, where I just have to suggest software
to my bosses, they'd never buy a single license from you after visiting
your page. I could give long talks, presentations or dance
choreographies just to show them how great your software is. They would
just say "No,no,no we need sth. professional".
That being said, if noone told you in the last 12+ years, I might just
be overly sensitive. However, I am quite sure that there were some
people who felt the same as I do, just they didn't tell you but instead
went on and bought from the competition.
By no means I intend to offend you with this post (it is not so easy for
me to express my intentions up the point since english is not my native
language). I just want to explain how it came to that rather brusque
phrasing in my last post.

Regards

Sebastian

"Sebastian Schildt" <jisinews@arcor.de> wrote in message
> Hi Richard, > > I did't want to be rude, but I really think you should improve on the > webpage. As a matter of fact, the FIRST impresison anyone gets from > your company nowadays is quite likely through visiting your webpage.Of > course your website's quality has nothing to do with with the quality > of your products
I've just had a glance myself and I'm forced to agree with Sebastian. Now, I quite like it and it has a nice ma and pa feel about it and some entertaining irreverence but, from management's point of view it is not consistent with similar sites and would make them very uneasy. I also notice that the news page has been under construction since 2002. Yikes! You mean there has been no news in 4 years? In my highly humble opinion I would have a bit more of a generic off the shelf products/support/contact/press style of menu for appeasing the managers and then have this friendly style of site within it in a developers area where the lighter tone will be appreciated and management won't go. However, I'm on shakey ground because my lots' website is dreadful. I can't complain too loudly though in case it turns out that it is my job to update it!
"Chris Hills" <chris@phaedsys.org> wrote in message
> In article <newscache$lxp18j$pg2$1@news.sil.at>, Christian Walter > <wolti@sil.at> writes >> * They use the GNU C/C++ compiler tools which are somewhat "industry >> standard" tools. Specially the good integration for inline assembler >> in GCC is a big plus for embedded systems if you are doing low level >> stuff. > > Hardly I would not recommend GCC for embedded use.
That's because you sell "Industry Standard" compilers. What does that mean? There is no qualification here. How do you quantify "Industry Standard". If it's "as used by Industry At Large" then you are surely wrong. And how come so all of our customers are using it for embedded use? I mean, it's not like we hide the fact we bundle GCC for ARM. They're not duped into believing it's our own compiler (but MSP430, AVR, and MAXQ is another matter, those are our own). We also have the requisite rollcall of big names using our software in preference to other offerings, it's not like we go hungry at the end of the month. Gee, how many commodity routers and wireless boxes have embedded Linux inside them compiled with GCC? All those ARM and MIPS processors running on ropey old GNU and Linux software, my goodness, must be a nightmare! I suppose you ripped out your router's firmware and replaced it with a homegrown effort compiled with the Greenhills compiler to feel safer? Don't ever use a TomTom GO to figure out where your next sales meeting is because, shock horror, it has Linux inside it! Don't use that Qtopia Greenphone! And don't use a Zaurus or your world will fall apart. Get a real-world perspective. GCC is used a lot in the embedded world and is just as much "Industry Standard(tm)" as IAR or Keil/ADS. It surely has a wider audience and user base.
>> * Works on Linux > And this is an advantage? > > 90% of embedded systems don't use an OS let alone Linux.
He's talking about the host platform, not the target platform. We support Linux as a Host OS, not a target OS. Your comment has no relevance other than to show you are not familiar with our products. I would conjecture you advocate Keil and IAR only because you are a reseller of those products. :-) -- Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd.
Chris Hills wrote:
> In article <newscache$lxp18j$pg2$1@news.sil.at>, Christian Walter > <wolti@sil.at> writes >> Sebastian Schildt wrote: >>> Hello group, >>> I'd like to hear some opinions regarding the Rowley CrossWorks for >>> ARM toolchain. I know, this is a somewhat broad request, so I'll try >>> clarify things a bit more: >>> I am in the process of evaluating ARM toolchains which are to be >>> used in university classes/projects. >> >> Hallo, >> >> I have worked with Keil, GCC + GDB/Insight and Rowley Crossworks for >> ARM and have to say that I liked their toolchain best. In my opinion >> one of the strongest points for Rowley Crossworks are: >> >> * They support the ARM Wiggler Interfaces which is very cheap and it >> works excellent (Compared to using GDB/INSIGHT with ocddaemon or >> openocd). This might be interesting because cost is usually an >> issue for university classes. > > There is inexpensive and there is cheap.... You do not want to cut > things too find. Industry stopped using wigglers some time back. > > In Industry time is money. So the cheapest option for hobby use is not > the same as the best option for industry. > >> * They use the GNU C/C++ compiler tools which are somewhat "industry >> standard" tools. Specially the good integration for inline assembler >> in GCC is a big plus for embedded systems if you are doing low level >> stuff. > > Hardly I would not recommend GCC for embedded use. >
I guess Altera and Xilinx, who spend vast amounts of time and money on development of their software tools (probably comparable to what they spend on development of their devices) must be targeting their soft processors for use in desktops or servers. And companies like Microchip and Axis and all the other microcontroller manufacturers who have made gcc backends for their devices are really targeting non-embedded usage. It is certainly true that gcc is not the best choice in all cases, but only a fanatic would dismiss gcc outright, especially when backed by a commercial support contract. And when looking at multiple target toolchains, I think the only competitor gcc might have in the number of targets supported is IAR - it is certainly as much of an industry standard as anything else. Just to give you a hint - Intel and Metrowerks, to give two examples, specifically support gcc command line options and language extensions.
>> * Works on Linux > And this is an advantage? > > 90% of embedded systems don't use an OS let alone Linux. >
"Works on Linux" was referring to linux as the host, not as a target operating system. But as a target operating system for ARM devices, linux (or ucLinux for devices without an MMU) is a very popular choice.
Hi Sebastian, thanks for your feedback. We are in fact in the process
redesigning our order pages and other things so I will for sure discuss
your input with our web people. One thing about the FUD though, we know
of at least TWO instances where salespeople of certain companies (not
Rowley :-) ) where they showed potential customers benchmark comparing
their more mature products (yea, they got a headstart) with our BETA
releases. I think that's trap of "larger" companies, they put up a
"professional" site with "professional" salespeople but their tactics
are not always up on up. I speak to some of them at trade shows from
time to time, and by and large, they are nice people too. But I think
that behind the doors, some of the sales may do things to get the sales.
Our model is far simpler: fully functional demos, code size limited
after 45 days. Knock yourself out playing. You have questions? We answer
them. You want the latest update? Download the latest demo. Our overhead
is far lower than other companies and I still do support although no
longer doing the in depth coding like I used to. Buyers beware!

In article <4549fa49$0$8717$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, Paul
Curtis <plc@rowley.co.uk> writes
And I can suggest you only advocate Gcc because you sell that? -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Chris Hills wrote:
> In article <4549fa49$0$8717$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, Paul > Curtis <plc@rowley.co.uk> writes >> "Chris Hills" <chris@phaedsys.org> wrote in message >> news:1UeXJWNowQSFFAJM@phaedsys.demon.co.uk... >>> In article <newscache$lxp18j$pg2$1@news.sil.at>, Christian Walter >>> <wolti@sil.at> writes >>>> * They use the GNU C/C++ compiler tools which are somewhat "industry >>>> standard" tools. Specially the good integration for inline assembler >>>> in GCC is a big plus for embedded systems if you are doing low level >>>> stuff. >>> >>> Hardly I would not recommend GCC for embedded use. >> >> That's because you sell "Industry Standard" compilers. > >> I would conjecture you advocate Keil and IAR only because you are a >> reseller >> of those products. :-) >> Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd. > > And I can suggest you only advocate Gcc because you sell that? >
There is a big difference here. You have been dismissing gcc out of hand, without giving any reasoning or evidence, or indication that you have even tried it, and without directly stating your commercial bias (I know people can follow the links in your sig.). Paul has been advocating the compiler his company makes and sells, and saying why gcc is a suitable choice in industry. I don't sell or resell tools, so I'm not biased. Get the best tool for the job - and that depends on both the job and who's doing it. But I'd rather see a discussion with useful information and reasoning - we all benefit from it (maybe I'll have to use ARM tools one day, or recommend them to a customer). I don't like to see toolchains dismissed because their website looks too cheerful, and I don't like to seem them dismissed because they are gcc (no other reason has been given). If tools like IAR and Keil are so much better, then surely you can come up with better reasons than telling us they are not quite as vastly expensive as they seem, and anyway professionals can afford to pay lots. The only positive thing you've said about them is that they are popular (which is significant, but not decisive).
In article <454af9a0$0$8084$8404b019@news.wineasy.se>, David Brown
<david@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> writes
>Chris Hills wrote: >> In article <4549fa49$0$8717$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, >>Paul Curtis <plc@rowley.co.uk> writes >>> "Chris Hills" <chris@phaedsys.org> wrote in message >>> news:1UeXJWNowQSFFAJM@phaedsys.demon.co.uk... >>>> In article <newscache$lxp18j$pg2$1@news.sil.at>, Christian Walter >>>> <wolti@sil.at> writes >>>>> * They use the GNU C/C++ compiler tools which are somewhat "industry >>>>> standard" tools. Specially the good integration for inline assembler >>>>> in GCC is a big plus for embedded systems if you are doing low level >>>>> stuff. >>>> >>>> Hardly I would not recommend GCC for embedded use. >>> >>> That's because you sell "Industry Standard" compilers. >> >>> I would conjecture you advocate Keil and IAR only because you are a >>>reseller >>> of those products. :-) >>> Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd. >> And I can suggest you only advocate Gcc because you sell that? >> > >There is a big difference here. You have been dismissing gcc out of >hand, without giving any reasoning or evidence, or indication that you >have even tried it, and without directly stating your commercial bias >(I know people can follow the links in your sig.).
I have been programming for nearly 30 years. I have only been in the distribution business a few years. I have used many compilers in anger.
> Paul has been advocating the compiler his company makes and sells, >and saying why gcc is a suitable choice in industry.
Fair enough. However there is a tendency for GCC advocates to automatically dismiss any criticism of Gcc that comes from anyone who is involved in anyway with any commercial compiler. Though they don't accept the argument in reverse.
>I don't sell or resell tools, so I'm not biased.
That does not hold true. You are assuming the only bias is from those who sell tools. See my last comment.
> Get the best tool for the job - and that depends on both the job and >who's doing it.
I agree.
>. I don't like to see toolchains dismissed because their website looks >too cheerful,
I have made no comment on the Rowley web site (people in glass houses etc :-) Rowley are compiler developers not web designers. However the comments made re the Rowley web site I think were meant as constructive criticism from some one who wanted to recommend Rowley to his management. .
> and I don't like to seem them dismissed because they are gcc (no other >reason has been given).
I was dismissing Gcc not Rowley per-say. Rowley do a very good MSP430 compiler
> If tools like IAR and Keil are so much better, then surely you can >come up with better reasons than telling us
Many people have done that. I recall a whole lot of benchmarks put up but they were all dismissed because they came from commercial sources. The only benchmarks the Gcc supporters would except were the ones that showed Gcc was as good as all the commercial compilers and ignored the fact that the benchmarks were from a commercial company that provided Gcc (no it wasn't Rowley) The reaction I have had from inside several compiler companies is you can't reason with religion.
>they are not quite as vastly expensive as they seem
They are not expensive. You are using a distorted benchmark. The IAR and Keil compilers are slightly on the higher side of the average for compilers. You are basing your "average" on one compiler at one end of the price distribution. Or should we judge all cars on the price of a Trabant?
>, and anyway professionals can afford to pay lots. The only positive >thing you've said about them is that they are popular (which is >significant, but not decisive).
I could go on about passing the industry standard test suits etc but then it degenerates in the fact that the industry standard test suits cost money... and that there is a gcc test suite (which is unregulated) There is no level playing field for a discussion and you can't argue with religion. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
> In article <4549fa49$0$8717$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, Paul > Curtis <plc@rowley.co.uk> writes >>"Chris Hills" <chris@phaedsys.org> wrote in message >>news:1UeXJWNowQSFFAJM@phaedsys.demon.co.uk... >>> In article <newscache$lxp18j$pg2$1@news.sil.at>, Christian Walter >>> <wolti@sil.at> writes >>>> * They use the GNU C/C++ compiler tools which are somewhat "industry >>>> standard" tools. Specially the good integration for inline assembler >>>> in GCC is a big plus for embedded systems if you are doing low level >>>> stuff. >>> >>> Hardly I would not recommend GCC for embedded use. >> >>That's because you sell "Industry Standard" compilers. > >>I would conjecture you advocate Keil and IAR only because you are a >>reseller >>of those products. :-) >>Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Ltd. > > And I can suggest you only advocate Gcc because you sell that?
Tell me where I advocate purchasing our tools in my posting? Or where I suggested not to purchase IAR/Keil/ADS? I commented that dismissing GCC out of hand for embedded work just shows how out of touch you actually are. I didn't denegrate any other compiler vendor. I might dislike some particular practice or benchmark presentation, but I happen to be in regular contact with competitor tool companies for vaious reasons. A product is more than a compiler, and a business is more than its products. IDE, library, support, it's a mix, and above all, fairness in the way we deal with customers, suppliers, partners, and competitors. -- Paul Curtis, Rowley Associates Limited.
"Chris Hills" <chris@phaedsys.org> wrote in message

<snip>

> I have made no comment on the Rowley web site (people in glass houses > etc :-) Rowley are compiler developers not web designers. However > the comments made re the Rowley web site I think were meant as > constructive criticism from some one who wanted to recommend Rowley to > his management. .
If you are refering to the comments made elsewhere in this thread then the comments were in relation to the Imagecraft website - although I've just looked at Rowley's site and it has dramatically changed so I have no opinion on it yet. Your site is fine too but I do think your slightly-suprised-to-have-the-photo-taken portrait could perhaps do with a revamp ;-)

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference