Re: PSoC Express: Does it work for semi-analog designs?

Started by Jonathan Kirwan December 28, 2006
On 28 Dec 2006 17:55:12 -0800, "rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jonathan Kirwan wrote: >> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:29:41 +0100, "Henry Kiefer" >> <otc_friend@gmx.net> wrote: >> >> ><snip> >> >No one can foresee the future. But as out of my experience the ARM >> >architecture will drive at least the next 20 years and will completely >> >replace (almost) all 8051. >> ><snip> >> >> When it comes in SOT-23-6 and 8-MSOP, it may begin to replace PIC and >> 8051. So far, I think the smallest package ARM I've seen is in the >> 48-pin arena. They also come with far too much on-chip resource, >> which I pay for in terms of active power and pricing. Way above what >> I want, most of the time. >> >> I'm not holding my breath for an 8-MSOP ARM. I hope to see a 28/32 >> pin device, someday. That might actually reach down into the upper >> end of my territory. > >Check out the Luminary Micro parts. They have a low end ARM Cortex-M3 >chip in a 28 pin SOIC, IIRC, that can go for under $1 in huge quantity.
No PWM until I get to 48-pin devices; a 32kHz input siphons off one CCP pin and the LM3S101 only has one of them; etc. They also require me to register in order to get data sheets. Not appreciated. I have their CD that comes with their LM3S811 eval kit, and even it doesn't include the other data sheets. Just the one. I'm not particularly happy with that -- every other kit I've ever gotten from any manufacturer, at all, that included any data sheets always included a great many others on the CD. Not these folks. My qty's are 2k-5k/yr, typical.
>If you need low power, check out both the Philips and Atmel parts. >They can work at lower power than a comparible AVR when running at the >same clock rate.
Atmel is in a probationary period with me. I won't spec them, just yet. And the recent news about selling FABs and letting loose of 1300 employees isn't helping their probation. Philips is a maybe. Hated searching their web sites, before. Dog slow on some of my machines and not entirely simple to navigate if ignorant about their products, as well. I'm looking now... Ah. I see an LPC2101 as the smallest memory chip (too big for my needs, but let's see, anyway...) Ah, hah. 48-pin beasts. Cripes. I see the Digikey pricing is __aggressive__ though. Hard to beat buying 48 pins for under $2 in 100's. 4 cents a pin is really low pricing. Dual supply!?! Nope. I also see "TBD" on a lot of important power requirement specs. I _do_ see a typical for the 1.8V supply of 7mA at 10MHz. Nope. No 48-pin beast requiring dual supplies. Even at that price.
>As to a 6 pin chip, I don't think you will see that with an ARM in it >for quite a while. But the rest of it is well within reach in the >coming year.
We shall see. Frankly, I don't think folks manufacturing ARMs (or having them manufactured for them to sell through distribution) really see 8- and 16-bit register application spaces with small numbers of highly-repurposable I/O pins as their near-term future. I don't think we are even on their radar. Jon
Your' probably total wrong. The first 8051 had 40 pins. Have you ever
thought that this guy will someday have 8 pins?

- Henry

--
www.ehydra.dyndns.info

Jonathan Kirwan wrote:
> On 28 Dec 2006 17:55:12 -0800, "rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: > > >Jonathan Kirwan wrote: > >> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:29:41 +0100, "Henry Kiefer" > >> <otc_friend@gmx.net> wrote: > >> > >> ><snip> > >> >No one can foresee the future. But as out of my experience the ARM > >> >architecture will drive at least the next 20 years and will completely > >> >replace (almost) all 8051. > >> ><snip> > >> > >> When it comes in SOT-23-6 and 8-MSOP, it may begin to replace PIC and > >> 8051. So far, I think the smallest package ARM I've seen is in the > >> 48-pin arena. They also come with far too much on-chip resource, > >> which I pay for in terms of active power and pricing. Way above what > >> I want, most of the time. > >> > >> I'm not holding my breath for an 8-MSOP ARM. I hope to see a 28/32 > >> pin device, someday. That might actually reach down into the upper > >> end of my territory. > > > >Check out the Luminary Micro parts. They have a low end ARM Cortex-M3 > >chip in a 28 pin SOIC, IIRC, that can go for under $1 in huge quantity. > > No PWM until I get to 48-pin devices; a 32kHz input siphons off one > CCP pin and the LM3S101 only has one of them; etc.
So what are your requirements again? Seems like they are a lot more extensive than you had originally stated. I don't see where the CCP and the 32kHz are mutually exclusive. I think you may be mistaken on this. I also don't get your aversion to the 48 pin TQFP package. They are not hard to solder and they are a lot smaller than the 28 pin package you seem to think is ok. The lead pitch is finer, but I have not found many applications where 20 mil lead pitch is a problem. If you look in more detail at the Philips line you will find any number of devices with a single supply. All of the Atmel parts are single supply and they have a new AT91SAM7S16(1) coming out in the 48 pin packages (both TQFP and QFN). It should be around $2 in quantity. The lowest price I have seen from Atmel is $3.35 on one of the two SAM7S32 flavors. There was some confusion on pricing between the SAM7S32 and SAM7S321. The SAM7S321 is the same part in the 64 pin package with all the same functionality of the other parts in the series while the SAM7S32 is in the 48 pin package with reduced pinout and functionality. The pricing I received was within $0.06 of each other so maybe the higher pin count for the same price will do something for you. BTW, these quantities are for 4K per year.

Memfault Beyond the Launch