Notebooks that still have legacy ports

Started by SMS January 29, 2007
On Jan 31, 4:38 am, Joerg <notthisjoerg...@removethispacbell.net>
wrote:

> I had a mutual agreement with our IT guy that he doesn't touch my > machine unless I consent, and he gets to dig in when the mint cookies > come in from the girl scout cookie sale.
Unfortunately our work machines are required [by policy] to have remote control software loaded. Somebody in Bangalore presses a button, and my entire department gets an update pushed onto their machines. Fortunately, somehow my machine has been broken - the firewall is up and can't be disabled - so they can't get into it. (I swear this was not intentional).
> Now I am my own IT guy :-)))
I know - I have none of these problems at home. It takes the IT department of a multi-billion-dollar, >100K-employee company to screw things up so effectively.

A notebook can use ethernet --> RS-232/485/422 converters such as www.comtrol.com Si or RTS series or www.Lantronics.com / www.netbiter.com. They show up regularly on eBay for dimes on the dollar. I find this more convenient than plugging and unplugging the serial equipment anyway, and they allows for easy access from different computers. While not typically important/required for bench work, this is very helpful for automation/monitoring where the added bulk of the ethernet--> RS-xxx adapter typically isn't an issue and at least part of the infrastructure/equipment is fixed in place and doesn't travel with the laptop anyway. ... Marc Marc_F_Hult www.ECOntrol.org
There is a pcie card with serial and parallel port from http://www.softio.com/ Have support for windows and linux and will work on a mac under parallels or boot camp or even a mac running linux. http://www.softio.com/ic0650kb.htm http://www.softio.com/pcie_pci_express_printer_parallel_port_card_ic0652kb.htm http://www.softio.com/ic0653kb.htm I haven't yet used one of the above cards directly myself. Seen them used for pic and other micro programming , Haven't seen them used for fpga programming yet. Alex