Low-power device recommendation

Started by Peter October 11, 2004
> > consider this: it's going to be a > > standalone unit, and connected to servers only via Internet > > (Ethernet or serial PPP + GPRS modem). It will need to send off > > data periodically to the server. Can a microcontroller handle > > this? > > thats exactly what microcontrolers are for !
OK, point me towards a cheapo MC that has 2 serial ports + 1-wire interface. Basic Stamp could work, but it's awfully expensive for it's functionality - Maxim's TINI sells for ~80$ (2 serials + 1wire + ethernet + Java + ssh access + ftp access + godknowswhatelse) Peter

http://microchip.com/ choose, they are sub 5$ Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019 Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
> OK, point me towards a cheapo MC that has 2 serial ports + 1-wire interface. > Basic Stamp could work, but it's awfully expensive for it's functionality - > Maxim's TINI sells for ~80$ (2 serials + 1wire + ethernet + Java + ssh > access + ftp access + godknowswhatelse) >
You might want to take a look at the Ubicom 2022. I think it can do all this (with exception of the interpreters for JAVA / PERL) with it's internal flash and RAM for some $7. You only need to add a crystal. It does have a power save mode that slows down or stops the CPU while a timer can wake it. They offer an upgrade path to the 3023 that is much more powerful but needs more external components. See www.ubicom.com -Michael
8 bit micros atmel avr , microchip pic, TI msp430 www.atmel.com/products/avr www.avrfreaks.com www.bdmicros.com nice atmega128 boards for two usarts atmega162 http://www.avrfreaks.net/Devices/devices.php?action=1&devid=66 or atmega128 http://www.avrfreaks.net/Devices/devices.php?action=1&devid=54 www.microchip.com www.piclist.com 32 bit arm7 philips lpc2100 http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/markets/mms/products/microcontrollers/key_solutions/32bit/index.html http://www.olimex.com/dev/ cheap arm and other boards dsp chips freescale(motorola) 56f8xx series www.newmicros.com 56f80x boards and philips lpc2100 boards For some cheap boards www.futurlec.com http://www.futurlec.com/Boards.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/DevelopmentBoards.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/BasicControllers.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/TrainingBoards.shtml Alex