HCS12 microcontroller question

Started by panfilero February 9, 2007
cs_posting@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 10, 3:26 pm, "panfilero" <panfil...@gmail.com> wrote: >> I'm pretty new to microcontrollers, how do I short the serial and get >> it to echo? The development board I got is the: CME-12NE64-DEV > > Okay, I have the same board on my desk.
... What old ad said, "Ask the man who owns one"? Advice hardly gets better than this! Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. &macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;
Jerry Avins wrote:

> What old ad said, "Ask the man who owns one"? ...
I remember now: Packard cars. How sexist! Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. &macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;
Jerry Avins wrote:
> > Jerry Avins wrote: > > ... > > > What old ad said, "Ask the man who owns one"? ... > > I remember now: Packard cars. How sexist!
It went over real well, didn't it? The last I heard of Packard, they made connector housings and wiring harnesses for other GM brands. -- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85. Michael A. Terrell Central Florida
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
> Jerry Avins wrote: >> Jerry Avins wrote: >> >> ... >> >>> What old ad said, "Ask the man who owns one"? ... >> >> I remember now: Packard cars. How sexist! > > It went over real well, didn't it? The last I heard of Packard, > they made connector housings and wiring harnesses for other GM > brands.
Packard was never part of GM, nor of Hewlett-Packard, nor of Packard Bell. They merged with Studebaker somewhere around 1950, and Studebaker-Packard later merged with Nash-Willys-Hudson to form American Motors. The last traces are now embedded in Diamler-Benz, as Chrysler-Diamler. A 1930's Packard is a thing of beauty. F'ups set to reduce the ridiculous cross-posting. -- <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt> <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423> "A man who is right every time is not likely to do very much." -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA "There is nothing more amazing than stupidity in action." -- Thomas Matthews
Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote in news:gOydnf9Mt-
1Hm1PYnZ2dnUVZ_vqpnZ2d@web-ster.com:

> > Good luck -- serial comms is generally something that has you tearing > your hair out for a while, then suddenly starts working. If you're > lucky, it'll even start working correctly. Generally once you do get it > working it'll work forever, though. > >
Remember the old days of simply stacking null modems, gender changers, and DB9-DB25 adapters until something works?? I found that the compiler made a huge difference on PICs, FWIW. Serial comms got tamed tremendously by CCS. -- Scott Reverse name to reply
panfilero wrote:
> Hello, I just got a MC9S12NE64 microcontoller and a development board, > and I've been trying to access my microcontroller through the > hyperterminal on my computer but have been having a really hard time. > I couldn't find any serial port driver files for this MCU, but had > some for a MC9S12C32 which i tried to modify to use with my MCU... my > code compiles on codewarrior and loads into my MCU but.... I can't get > it to show anything on the hyperterminal.... I was wondering if anyone > could tell me what steps I need to take to do this serial > communication with my MCU, or if anyone knows of any good resources or > websites where i could find driver files for this? My ultimate goal > is to control a programmable power supply through the serial port of > my MCU, so I'm trying to get familiar with the serial port by > accessing it through a hyperterminal.... > > any help or suggestions would be greatly appresicated, > thank you > Joshua >
In addition to baud, stop bits, etc.. be sure that you have flow control set to NONE in hyperterminal. I assume you only have a 3 wire connection, tx, rx and grnd. Dave Rooney
David Brown <david@westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote in news:45d0714b$0
$24599$8404b019@news.wineasy.se:

> but drop hyperterminal.
Great advice. -- Scott Reverse name to reply
panfilero wrote:
<snip>
> my MCU, so I'm trying to get familiar with the serial port by > accessing it through a hyperterminal.... >
No one else seems to have mentioned this so far, but drop hyperterminal. It is commonly regarded as worthless, and is regularly the cause of problems. I don't want to start a religious war over which is the "best" terminal emulator program, but you should download Tera Term Pro. It's free, it's simple, it's reliable, and thus it is far better than hyperterminal. If you ever want something more advanced, there are lots of options (and even more opinions), but at the moment, TTPro is your best choice.

David Brown wrote:

> No one else seems to have mentioned this so far, but drop hyperterminal. > It is commonly regarded as worthless, and is regularly the cause of > problems.
There is no doubt the hyperterm is inconvenient and lacking many features. Also, it is a part of the evil empire of MS, and every true believer should never even think of it. However I don't know of any specific problems of hyperterm. If all that you need is a basic terminal, it will work as good as any other program. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On Feb 12, 9:18 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <antispam_bo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> There is no doubt the hyperterm is inconvenient and lacking many > features. Also, it is a part of the evil empire of MS, and every true > believer should never even think of it. > > However I don't know of any specific problems of hyperterm. If all that > you need is a basic terminal, it will work as good as any other program.
One argument for keeping hypeterminal... you'll be familiar with it's issues, which is good, because the day will come where you have to talk to your device using someone else's computer which has nothing else installed.

Memfault Beyond the Launch