Any experience/comments for STR9 Com Stick?

Started by janka vietzen March 12, 2007
recently I saw the STR9 comstick from Hitex for an amazingly low price.
Maybe I am going to use that CPU for a new project what requires to show
analog input data over webserver by javascript.

Before waisting the 39 Euro there are some open questions:

1) the product photo shows 3 QFP chips. Two of them seems CPU and PHY. What
ist the 3rd (ext. memory?)

2) I cannot see the jtag connector at the stick hw and the product text
announces jtag (and uart) over usb debugging. How can that work?

3) product text announces a free debugger without limitations. For USB
debugging it seems to require minimum a flashed boot software. Are there
any protection tricks what limit the debugger to stick hardware? If not,
what are the benefits for a Tantino jtag cable?

4) any experience with the included web server application?
DHCP? File system? FTP?

On Mar 12, 2:42 pm, janka vietzen <j...@t-online.de> wrote:

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same stick, but I've been
looking at a product that sounds identical.

Where is the third chip? My stick has only two. Maybe you have the four-button "+" shape confused as a third chip? My diary entry for March 4 <http://www.larwe.com/diary/2007mara.html> has a link to the docs on ST's site, and a photo of the board I'm working with.
> 2) I cannot see the jtag connector at the stick hw and the product text > announces jtag (and uart) over usb debugging. How can that work?
I haven't tried to debug it over the built-in USB connector, I didn't realize it was possible. Looking at my photo, the JTAG header is the upper-right one (only one that is actually populated). hardware? If not,
> what are the benefits for a Tantino jtag cable?
You won't be able to debug USB connectivity over the USB interface. External JTAG hardware will be mandatory. That's one of the reasons why I haven't even bothered to try
> 4) any experience with the included web server application? > DHCP? File system? FTP?
The device mounts like a mass-storage device if you plug it into a PC, and that apparently gives you access to the webserver filesystem. I haven't really experimented with it; I don't intend to use it. But judging from the documentation it does not support DHCP, rather it uses a hardcoded address.
larwe wrote:

your pcb seems diffrent from the Hitex Com Stick but CPU is same. I have
extracted the deep link address from the frames what is:

http://www.hitex.com/str9-comstick/con-str9-comstick.html

On Mar 12, 3:47 pm, janka vietzen <j...@t-online.de> wrote:
> larwe wrote: > > your pcb seems diffrent from the Hitex Com Stick but CPU is same. I have > extracted the deep link address from the frames what is: > > http://www.hitex.com/str9-comstick/con-str9-comstick.html
Ah, I would bet the extra chip is a small micro to handle the USB debugging.
janka vietzen <janvi@t-online.de> wrote in

> recently I saw the STR9 comstick from Hitex for an amazingly low > price. Maybe I am going to use that CPU for a new project what > requires to show analog input data over webserver by javascript. >
Looks pretty interesting. Too small a memory for Linux. Nice eval kind of kit. If all you want is to experiment with a usb device, I think the cheapest way may still be buying a keyspan/8051 ezusb (USA-19?) usb/rs232 dongle. There were - (yes still are some google "hacking the keyspan") web pages on how to do new programs and download over usb. Regards, Steve
>1) the product photo shows 3 QFP chips. Two of them seems CPU and PHY.
What
>ist the 3rd (ext. memory?)
the 3rd is a USB-JTAG converter from FTDI: FT2232
On Mar 12, 10:55 am, "larwe" <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2:42 pm, janka vietzen <j...@t-online.de> wrote: > > I'm not sure if we're talking about the same stick, but I've been > looking at a product that sounds identical. > > > 1) the product photo shows 3 QFP chips. Two of them seems CPU and PHY. What > > ist the 3rd (ext. memory?) > > Where is the third chip? My stick has only two. Maybe you have the > four-button "+" shape confused as a third chip? > > My diary entry for March 4 <http://www.larwe.com/diary/2007mara.html> > has a link to the docs on ST's site, and a photo of the board I'm > working with. > > > 2) I cannot see the jtag connector at the stick hw and the product text > > announces jtag (and uart) over usb debugging. How can that work? > > I haven't tried to debug it over the built-in USB connector, I didn't > realize it was possible. Looking at my photo, the JTAG header is the > upper-right one (only one that is actually populated). > > hardware? If not, > > > what are the benefits for a Tantino jtag cable? > > You won't be able to debug USB connectivity over the USB interface.
The FT2232 has two ports: one for Jtag/Serial Wire Debug and one for USB-Serial converter. Not sure about Arm 9, but for Arm Cortex, you can Jtag tap to a special state and bring out the Serial Wire Debug on the same Jtag lines. I jtag/swd the Arm and serial bridge to an Avr. I run an Avr downloader on the Arm. Downloading works fine (flash verified), if I can just boot the Avr (it's not running yet).
> External JTAG hardware will be mandatory.
No external hardware or connector needed.
> That's one of the reasons > why I haven't even bothered to try > > > 4) any experience with the included web server application? > > DHCP? File system? FTP? > > The device mounts like a mass-storage device if you plug it into a PC, > and that apparently gives you access to the webserver filesystem. I > haven't really experimented with it; I don't intend to use it. But > judging from the documentation it does not support DHCP, rather it > uses a hardcoded address.
Did finally someone find out if this stick can run as a standalone unit
(power couls be supplied by a simple external USB HUB)??!

Also I'd like to know if it is possible to use this device as
OTG-Interface between a Pocket PC and some USB slaves such as modem or
printer. Any experiences?

Best regards,
Johannes