RTC 32.768Khz 6pf -v- 12pf

Started by Unknown April 21, 2007
"Paul Keinanen" <keinanen@sci.fi> wrote in message
news:of3m23tkai4ukpruljifrfklfeo4qd90le@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 00:16:48 +0100, "Aly" > <,shfskfjsf@sliuflky4iuhdf.erl> wrote: > > >I am working with the Maxim/Dallas RTCs which specify a requirement of
6pf
> >load capacitance crystals. I can only source 12pf. > > One reason for low availability of very small capacitors is that the > stray capacitances will dominate anyway. If everything else fails, put
<SNIP> Thanks Paul :-) Acknowledged.
"Aly" <,shfskfjsf@sliuflky4iuhdf.erl> wrote in message
> "Aly" <,shfskfjsf@sliuflky4iuhdf.erl> wrote in message > news:TNmdnVfkKKuHBrfbnZ2dnUVZ8vidnZ2d@bt.com... >
<SNIP>
> > Rapid; > > 90-3313 > 90-3050 >
For anyone reading this thread in future, also search on similar Maxim part numbers; DS1305 DS1306 DS1307 Each will bring back different hits but are sufficiant for sourcing useful information from a personal DIY point of view.
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 00:16:48 +0100, "Aly"
<,shfskfjsf@sliuflky4iuhdf.erl> wrote:

>Hello, > >I am working with the Maxim/Dallas RTCs which specify a requirement of 6pf >load capacitance crystals. I can only source 12pf. > >It is mentioned in the datasheets that a load (12pf) which is greater than >what the RTC is designed for (6pf); "If the capacitive load is less than the >crystal was designed for, the oscillator runs fast. If the capacitive load >is greater than what the crystal was designed for, the oscillator runs >slow." > >Would anyone have any idea how much difference this will make in practice? >I think I've read on the net in the past that this is only runs into a >minute or so over each month but can't find that information now. > >Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? A few minutes a month >isn't a huge problem, it's really just for date stamping. > >Many thanks, > >Alison >
Are you sure the datasheet says "what the RTC is designed for"? I would expect not. The crystal has been specified to run on its frequency with a certain load, not the RTC. Taking the first hit I find with google, the motional capacitance of a watch crystal is 2fF. Putting 12pF in series wil give about 7 seconds change per day. Putting 6pF in series gives 14. So the difference between 12p and 6p will be about 7 seconds per day. If your crystals are specified for 12p, just place 2 times 22p (or better 22p and 27p) at the crystal. I would be really surprised if the RTC would not work. You might have to substract the port capacitance of the RTC itself (order of 3p?). Cheers, Joop
Aly" <,shfskfjsf@sliuflky4iuhdf.erl> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de news:
TNmdnVfkKKuHBrfbnZ2dnUVZ8vidnZ2d@bt.com...
> Hello, > > I am working with the Maxim/Dallas RTCs which specify a requirement of 6pf > load capacitance crystals. I can only source 12pf. > > It is mentioned in the datasheets that a load (12pf) which is greater than > what the RTC is designed for (6pf); "If the capacitive load is less than > the > crystal was designed for, the oscillator runs fast. If the capacitive load > is greater than what the crystal was designed for, the oscillator runs > slow." > > Would anyone have any idea how much difference this will make in practice? > I think I've read on the net in the past that this is only runs into a > minute or so over each month but can't find that information now. > > Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? A few minutes a month > isn't a huge problem, it's really just for date stamping. > > Many thanks, > > Alison
Hi, Have a look at DALLAS app note : "Application Note 58 - Crystal Considerations for Dallas Real-Time Clocks" Yvan