Isolated UART communication

Started by Rohan May 3, 2007
Hi All,

Any suggestions about making high-speed (16k baud) opto-isolated UART
communications between

1. Microcoltroller to Microcontroller at TTL Levels.
2. RS232 port and microcontroller

How do you guys do it.
I use two opto couplers (4n35) for receive and transmit side but it
has its speed limitations.

Thanks,
Rohan

"Rohan" <rohanshar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All, > > Any suggestions about making high-speed (16k baud) opto-isolated UART > communications between > > 1. Microcoltroller to Microcontroller at TTL Levels. > 2. RS232 port and microcontroller > > How do you guys do it. > I use two opto couplers (4n35) for receive and transmit side but it > has its speed limitations.
Then use a faster opto-coupler. I have had good results with the SFH6138. These are couplers with a darlington stage when you can pull the base of the second transistor to ground with for instance a 4k7 ohm resistor. This gives you a massive increase in speed. I have run this at 115200 baud without a glitch. Meindert

http://www.nve.com make TTL compatible isolators that can handle data rates of >50Mb/s. Analog devices also has a range of products that uses the same sort of technology for high speed isolation. http://www.analog.com/en/subCat/0,2879,767%255F827%255F0%255F%255F0%255F,00.html Regards Anton Erasmus
"Rohan" <rohanshar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All, > > Any suggestions about making high-speed (16k baud) opto-isolated UART > communications between > > 1. Microcoltroller to Microcontroller at TTL Levels. > 2. RS232 port and microcontroller > > How do you guys do it. > I use two opto couplers (4n35) for receive and transmit side but it > has its speed limitations. > > Thanks, > Rohan
MIDI runs at 31.25Kb...most schematics I've seen for a midi interface use a 6N138. I've built several interfaces with them and had no problems. It's been about 5 years since I built a midi interface, but I presume they're still available and inexpensive. HTH, Bill