PIC16F716 physically exploding

Started by Fred May 3, 2007
Hi there,

Does anyone have experiencing seeing a PIC16F716 physically blow its
lid (in other words, explode)?  I have a design that uses three SO pkg
of the F716 and one of them is intermittently exploding.  It's always
the same one, and never either of the other two.

I have never seen this before and I don't know what would be causing
it.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Fred

Fred wrote:
> Hi there, > > Does anyone have experiencing seeing a PIC16F716 physically blow its > lid (in other words, explode)? I have a design that uses three SO pkg > of the F716 and one of them is intermittently exploding. It's always > the same one, and never either of the other two. > > I have never seen this before and I don't know what would be causing > it. > > Any help appreciated. Thanks.
How does something "intermittently explode" ?!? What is connected to it ? -jg
On May 3, 6:20 pm, Fred <f...@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
> Does anyone have experiencing seeing a PIC16F716 physically blow its > lid (in other words, explode)? I have a design that uses three SO pkg > of the F716 and one of them is intermittently exploding. It's always > the same one, and never either of the other two. > I have never seen this before and I don't know what would be causing > it.
A schematic might give us a clue? Or is it too confidential?
On 3 May 2007 17:20:32 -0700, the renowned Fred <fredm@cs.uml.edu>
wrote:

>Hi there, > >Does anyone have experiencing seeing a PIC16F716 physically blow its >lid (in other words, explode)? I have a design that uses three SO pkg >of the F716 and one of them is intermittently exploding. It's always >the same one, and never either of the other two. > >I have never seen this before and I don't know what would be causing >it. > >Any help appreciated. Thanks. > >Fred
If you have a power supply capable of very high current, it could easily be latchup, but you'd have to be severely abusing the part to get it to latch up. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Fred wrote:
> Hi there, > > Does anyone have experiencing seeing a PIC16F716 physically blow its > lid (in other words, explode)? I have a design that uses three SO pkg > of the F716 and one of them is intermittently exploding. It's always > the same one, and never either of the other two. > > I have never seen this before and I don't know what would be causing > it. > > Any help appreciated. Thanks. > > Fred >
All PICs have schottky diodes on all I/O pins. Wire -12 volts strong enough to drive several amps onto an I/O pin and it may blow like you are describing. I/O drivers are current limited. You should not destroy PIC by driving an output against output or voltage source between 0-Vdd. Your description is not enough, this is just a hint. -- Roman Ziak www.dipmicro.com
My power supply is 4xAAs.  No pin is seeing more than 6v.  There is a
diode in series with the batts, but other than that, no current
limiting.

What kind of thing causes latchup?

Have any of you personally seen one of these chips blow?  The tops
literally come off, leaving a 1/4" diameter pock-mark.

Fred

On 2007-05-04, Fred <fredm@cs.uml.edu> wrote:

> My power supply is 4xAAs. No pin is seeing more than 6v. There is a > diode in series with the batts, but other than that, no current > limiting. > > What kind of thing causes latchup?
In the bad old days it was by turning on a parasitic SCR when you apply a voltage above Vdd to an I/O pin. Most parts have protection diodes to prevent that from happening.
> Have any of you personally seen one of these chips blow? The tops > literally come off, leaving a 1/4" diameter pock-mark.
I've not seen that particular one blow up, but I've seen others do it. I remember one 14-pin DIP op-amp that had supply and ground pins centered on each side. If you put the chip in upside down it would quite reliably blow a chunk out of the package leaving a nice crater. If you took a drinking straw and held one end against the part when you flipped the power switch you could shoot a chunk of epoxy a fair distance with some accuracy. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Pardon me, but do you at know what it means to be visi.com TRULY ONE with your BOOTH!
Fred wrote:

> My power supply is 4xAAs. No pin is seeing more than 6v. There is a > diode in series with the batts, but other than that, no current > limiting.
Add some current limiting, or better, a LDO regulator.
> > What kind of thing causes latchup?
Current injection into the parasitic SCR all CMOS devices have. can be -ve or +ve spikes, of short duration - just need to be long enough, and of enough magnitude, to fire the SCR. Once fired, it attempts to crowbar the Supply - in this case, loosing :) What is connected to this chip ? -jg
The only time I have seen top off and crater is when the part
joined the 110 club. 220 or 240 in other countries

I have seen some very hot parts from latch up but never one to
explode.

w..

"Fred" <fredm@cs.uml.edu> wrote in message
> Hi there, > > Does anyone have experiencing seeing a PIC16F716 physically blow its > lid (in other words, explode)? I have a design that uses three SO pkg > of the F716 and one of them is intermittently exploding. It's always > the same one, and never either of the other two. > > I have never seen this before and I don't know what would be causing > it. > > Any help appreciated. Thanks. > > Fred >
Where is this device used? We have controllers in remote areas that are subject to lightning strikes. The spark gaps and input protection usually handle it, but sometimes we get controllers back with missing chips and lots of epoxy powder. Mark Walsh Rogue Engineering Inc.

Memfault Beyond the Launch