16-bits ADC anyone?

Started by Bruno Richard June 5, 2007
"Bruno Richard" <bruno.richard.fr@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1181030631.316540.197960@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all, > > I am working on a project where I need some 16 bits ADC to retrieve > information from a sensor. I also need a small microcontroller such as > a PIC, AVR or 8051, and I got surprising quotes for the ADC: Around $5 > (qty 1000), which is 5 times more expensive than the controller! > > Does anyone have an idea about how I can get some low cost ADC- > Controller solution? I need only few dozens of samples per second, so > some of you may have nice tricks to do that (op-amps, capacitor charge > time stuff and the like). > > Thanks, Bruno >
How about the AD7143 @ $1.24 for 1000pcs. 43.5 SPS, 3.3mW, 8 channel, 4mm x 4mm package. Thomas
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:03:51 -0000, Bruno Richard
<bruno.richard.fr@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am working on a project where I need some 16 bits ADC to retrieve >information from a sensor. I also need a small microcontroller such as >a PIC, AVR or 8051, and I got surprising quotes for the ADC: Around $5 >(qty 1000), which is 5 times more expensive than the controller!
The problem with microcontrollers with on-chip ADC/DACs is that you might not get the nominal 98 dB SNR due to the noise from the controller. Is DC accuracy (drifts) important in your application ? Is this ADC part of a control loop, in which case it would be preferable that the ADC is monotonous. Paul

Paul Keinanen wrote:

>>I am working on a project where I need some 16 bits ADC to retrieve >>information from a sensor. I also need a small microcontroller such as >>a PIC, AVR or 8051, and I got surprising quotes for the ADC: Around $5 >>(qty 1000), which is 5 times more expensive than the controller! > > > The problem with microcontrollers with on-chip ADC/DACs is that you > might not get the nominal 98 dB SNR due to the noise from the > controller.
Besides, the high performance ADCs and the microcontrollers are the two different technologies. The MCUs with the good ADC/DACs usually contain two separate dies in one package. For that reason they are more expensive then the equvalent micro + equvalent ADC/DAC.
> > Is DC accuracy (drifts) important in your application ? > > Is this ADC part of a control loop, in which case it would be > preferable that the ADC is monotonous.
I am wondering of what could be a sensor which requires the ADC with the true 16-bit accuracy. For the sensor application, that sounds unreasonable to me. Especially considering that the rest of application is handled by a small micro. Apparently there is a problem with the concept. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 00:28:50 +0300, the renowned Paul Keinanen
<keinanen@sci.fi> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:03:51 -0000, Bruno Richard ><bruno.richard.fr@gmail.com> wrote: > >>I am working on a project where I need some 16 bits ADC to retrieve >>information from a sensor. I also need a small microcontroller such as >>a PIC, AVR or 8051, and I got surprising quotes for the ADC: Around $5 >>(qty 1000), which is 5 times more expensive than the controller! > >The problem with microcontrollers with on-chip ADC/DACs is that you >might not get the nominal 98 dB SNR due to the noise from the >controller.
>Is DC accuracy (drifts) important in your application ? > >Is this ADC part of a control loop, in which case it would be >preferable that the ADC is monotonous. > >Paul
ITYM "monotonic"-- did a spell chequer get you? ;-) Making a slope-type ADC with ~16 bit resolution isn't all that hard, nor is adding some dither and oversampling with a successive- approximation type converter. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 00:28:50 +0300, Paul Keinanen <keinanen@sci.fi>
wrote:

>The problem with microcontrollers with on-chip ADC/DACs is that you >might not get the nominal 98 dB SNR due to the noise from the >controller.
Some of the newer microcontrollers such as the MSP430 get around this problem by using very low power operation. Others take their samples while the microcontroller is in sleep mode.
> I am wondering of what could be a sensor which requires the ADC with the > true 16-bit accuracy. For the sensor application, that sounds > unreasonable to me. Especially considering that the rest of application > is handled by a small micro. Apparently there is a problem with the > concept.
Plenty of sensors are read with 16-bit ADCs. Examples: pressure sensor, strain gauge, position sensors, etc. Just take a look at the Analog Devices app notes.
On 2007-06-06, mw <mw@avoidspam.com> wrote:
> Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
>> I am wondering of what could be a sensor which requires the >> ADC with the true 16-bit accuracy.
Plenty of them.
>> For the sensor application, that sounds unreasonable to me. >> Especially considering that the rest of application is handled >> by a small micro. Apparently there is a problem with the >> concept. > > Plenty of sensors are read with 16-bit ADCs. Examples: pressure sensor, > strain gauge, position sensors, etc. Just take a look at the Analog > Devices app notes.
I know of quite a few applications that are using 20 and 24 bit ADCs. 16 bits really isn't pushing the limits at all. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! hubub, hubub, HUBUB, at hubub, hubub, hubub, HUBUB, visi.com hubub, hubub, hubub.
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 04:32:35 -0000, the renowned Grant Edwards
<grante@visi.com> wrote:

>On 2007-06-06, mw <mw@avoidspam.com> wrote: >> Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote: > >>> I am wondering of what could be a sensor which requires the >>> ADC with the true 16-bit accuracy. > >Plenty of them. > >>> For the sensor application, that sounds unreasonable to me. >>> Especially considering that the rest of application is handled >>> by a small micro. Apparently there is a problem with the >>> concept. >> >> Plenty of sensors are read with 16-bit ADCs. Examples: pressure sensor, >> strain gauge, position sensors, etc. Just take a look at the Analog >> Devices app notes. > >I know of quite a few applications that are using 20 and 24 bit >ADCs. 16 bits really isn't pushing the limits at all.
Anyway, he didn't specify what the accuracy was. 16 bit resolution is pretty unremarkable for control applications. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
mw wrote:
> Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote: > >> I am wondering of what could be a sensor which requires the ADC >> with the true 16-bit accuracy. For the sensor application, that >> sounds unreasonable to me. Especially considering that the rest >> of application is handled by a small micro. Apparently there is >> a problem with the concept. > > Plenty of sensors are read with 16-bit ADCs. Examples: pressure > sensor, strain gauge, position sensors, etc. Just take a look > at the Analog Devices app notes.
Yes, but the question is why? That gives a result to 1 part in 65535 over the range, and even if we assign the high order bit to allow overruns by a factor of 2, it is still 1 part in 32767. I find such precision requirements to be extremely rare. -- <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt> <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423> <http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html> <http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html> cbfalconer at maineline dot net -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> mw wrote: >> Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote: >> >>> I am wondering of what could be a sensor which requires the ADC >>> with the true 16-bit accuracy. For the sensor application, that >>> sounds unreasonable to me. Especially considering that the rest >>> of application is handled by a small micro. Apparently there is >>> a problem with the concept. >> >> Plenty of sensors are read with 16-bit ADCs. Examples: pressure >> sensor, strain gauge, position sensors, etc. Just take a look >> at the Analog Devices app notes. > > Yes, but the question is why? That gives a result to 1 part in > 65535 over the range, and even if we assign the high order bit to > allow overruns by a factor of 2, it is still 1 part in 32767. I > find such precision requirements to be extremely rare.
I'm use to processing photosensor data. Photodiodes can be linear over a huge dynamic range - I was told 14 decades but I've only tried six. I typically want 10-bit accuracy, so some of this can be handled with a gain switch. I've processed temperature sensor data with 0.001&#4294967295;C resolution (but less accuracy), required for good closed loop performance. Audio data is another that needs good linearity but can tolerate scale errors. But I would help if the OP explained what he wanted the ADC for so that we can assess what aspects of the system require 16-bitness. -- Peter