But I have not encountered many problems with either yet ( most
probably due to lack of experience :-(  ) .
Can any one tell me thier better or sweet experiences using GNU
toolchain for embedded software development?

Thanks

Rate

In article <1182157031.984025.177870@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
ratemonotonic <niladri1979@gmail.com> writes
>Hi , > >I am a relatively new in embedded systems and have so far only used >ARM realview tool chian , tool chains for TI DSPs and GNU tool chain. >But I have not encountered many problems with either yet ( most >probably due to lack of experience :-( ) . >Can any one tell me thier better or sweet experiences using GNU >toolchain for embedded software development?
It depends. On your target. What you are making. What if any standards you have to work to. What if any product liability there is. -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
> Hi , > > I am a relatively new in embedded systems and have so far only used > ARM realview tool chian , tool chains for TI DSPs and GNU tool chain. > But I have not encountered many problems with either yet ( most > probably due to lack of experience :-( ) . > Can any one tell me thier better or sweet experiences using GNU > toolchain for embedded software development? > > Thanks > > Rate
Anything that comes with : a) Hardware support after sale. b) Active mailing list. d) Good documentation. e) Tools that can be replaced with similar tools is a BIG advantage. f) Finally, I'd prefer tool chain that comes with less patches;) from kernel to libraries. ali
On 2007-06-18, ratemonotonic <niladri1979@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a relatively new in embedded systems and have so far only > used ARM realview tool chian , tool chains for TI DSPs and GNU > tool chain. But I have not encountered many problems with > either yet ( most probably due to lack of experience :-( ) . > Can any one tell me thier better or sweet experiences using > GNU toolchain for embedded software development?
I've been using nothing but Gnu tools for embedded work for 10 years (ARM, H8, MSP430, NIOS2). Couldn't be happier with them. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Let's send the at Russians defective visi.com lifestyle accessories!
On Jun 18, 12:56 pm, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 4:57 pm, ratemonotonic <niladri1...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi , > > > I am a relatively new in embedded systems and have so far only used > > ARM realview tool chian , tool chains for TI DSPs and GNU tool chain. > > But I have not encountered many problems with either yet ( most > > probably due to lack of experience :-( ) . > > Can any one tell me thier better or sweet experiences using GNU > > toolchain for embedded software development? > > > Thanks > > > Rate > > Anything that comes with : > a) Hardware support after sale. > b) Active mailing list. > d) Good documentation. > e) Tools that can be replaced with similar tools is a BIG advantage. > f) Finally, I'd prefer tool chain that comes with less patches;) from > kernel to libraries. > > ali
>e) Tools that can be replaced with similar tools is a BIG advantage.
in your experience is GNU tools easyly replaceble by other commercial tool ?
"ratemonotonic" <niladri1979@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 18, 12:56 pm, Ali <abdulra...@gmail.com> wrote: >> On Jun 18, 4:57 pm, ratemonotonic <niladri1...@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> > Hi , >> >> > I am a relatively new in embedded systems and have so far only used >> > ARM realview tool chian , tool chains for TI DSPs and GNU tool chain. >> > But I have not encountered many problems with either yet ( most >> > probably due to lack of experience :-( ) . >> > Can any one tell me thier better or sweet experiences using GNU >> > toolchain for embedded software development? >> >> > Thanks >> >> > Rate >> >> Anything that comes with : >> a) Hardware support after sale. >> b) Active mailing list. >> d) Good documentation. >> e) Tools that can be replaced with similar tools is a BIG advantage. >> f) Finally, I'd prefer tool chain that comes with less patches;) from >> kernel to libraries. >> >> ali > >>e) Tools that can be replaced with similar tools is a BIG advantage. > in your experience is GNU tools easyly replaceble by other commercial > tool ?
If you design your code with this in mind in the first place, then - yes. The FreeRTOS.org code compiles with GCC, Keil/Keil, IAR, Keil/RVDS, Rowley (GCC with different project management and IDE), Raisonance (GCC with different project management and IDE). -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 compliant real time kernel for safety related systems.
..... not to mention all the non-ARM compilers. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com An IEC 61508 compliant real time kernel for safety related systems.
Yep. Me too. The only exceptions are when clients use micros that aren't supported by GCC. -- Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918 5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460 Kennesaw, GA, USA 30144 http://mnmoran.org "So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key." The Eagles, "Already Gone" The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1
On 2007-06-18, Michael N. Moran <mnmoran@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote: >> On 2007-06-18, ratemonotonic <niladri1979@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> I am a relatively new in embedded systems and have so far only >>> used ARM realview tool chian , tool chains for TI DSPs and GNU >>> tool chain. But I have not encountered many problems with >>> either yet ( most probably due to lack of experience :-( ) . >>> Can any one tell me thier better or sweet experiences using >>> GNU toolchain for embedded software development? >> >> I've been using nothing but Gnu tools for embedded work for 10 >> years (ARM, H8, MSP430, NIOS2). Couldn't be happier with them. > > Yep. Me too. > The only exceptions are when clients use micros that > aren't supported by GCC.
I've been lucky. :) I came pretty close to chosing a Mitsubishi M16C part a few years ago (for which you couldn't even find commercial tools hosted on Linux), but the Hitachi H8/300 solution turned out to be a little cheaper (and has a much nicer memory model). -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Now I'm concentrating at on a specific tank battle visi.com toward the end of World War II!
Some previous comments on this: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.embedded/browse_frm/thread/82df893990913853/8b701687eafc96a6?q=GCC+Rowley+Eclipse+Windoze+hurdles+limited+CodeSourcery+some.differences+*-*-like-other-GUI-toolkits+subscription+*.*.official.maintainers+*.price+zz-zz+qq+debugger.front.end+Code-Sourcery+Insight