Simple Still Camera components?

Started by amerdsp July 29, 2007
Greetings,
  I am trying to design and implement a very simple camera that would
capture VGA quality images and store them to  flash memory such as SD
or MMC.
  I am seeking the advice of the experienced people out there about
the recommendations for a microcontroller and image sensor
combination.  I am looking for a fairly low cost solution since it is
only a hobby.  I know that I can get a cheap camera and all, but I
would like to learn about it and try to implement it myself.

Thank you for your time and help.

-- A

amerdsp wrote:

> Greetings, > I am trying to design and implement a very simple camera that would > capture VGA quality images and store them to flash memory such as SD > or MMC. > I am seeking the advice of the experienced people out there about > the recommendations for a microcontroller and image sensor > combination. I am looking for a fairly low cost solution since it is > only a hobby. I know that I can get a cheap camera and all, but I > would like to learn about it and try to implement it myself. > > Thank you for your time and help. >
Take 4164 in ceramic package. Carefully open the cover so the crystal is exposed. Project a light image to the crystal. Generate DRAM signals by a microcontroller. Fill DRAM with ones (or with zeroes - I don't remember). Switch off refresh for some time. Then read DRAM. You will get a pretty clear black and white bitmap picture. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

<snip>
> > Take 4164 in ceramic package. Carefully open the cover so the crystal is > exposed. Project a light image to the crystal. Generate DRAM signals by > a microcontroller. Fill DRAM with ones (or with zeroes - I don't > remember). Switch off refresh for some time. Then read DRAM. You will > get a pretty clear black and white bitmap picture. >
<snip> This piqued my interest so here are a few additional references from the ClassicCMP mailing list:
-------------------- <snip>
--------------------- Here is an URL of a Russian-language page with details on this project: http://kazus.ru/shemes/showpage/0/493/1.html Here is an URL for the file 'kuckuck.zip': http://www.vampyr.msk.ru/electroniks/kuckuck.zip -- NOTE: the other links found for this file are all dead; if this one expires, I can post the file. -- NOTE: archive contains theory, sample code and sample images -- the images are reminiscent of the video from the Fisher-Price Pixel 2000. Regards, Michael
On Jul 29, 9:46 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky <antispam_bo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Take 4164 in ceramic package. Carefully open the cover so the crystal is > exposed. Project a light image to the crystal. Generate DRAM signals by > a microcontroller. Fill DRAM with ones (or with zeroes - I don't > remember). Switch off refresh for some time. Then read DRAM. You will > get a pretty clear black and white bitmap picture.
Tried that once... harder than it sounds. Due to the disabling refresh, you can't have the chip in a computer as memory, but must build your own interface circuit. Then you also have to play with lenses and get moderately reasonable image projection at an appropriate power desnity onto the "active" area of the die even for initial tests. You can't just shine a flashlight at it and mask off half the cells and expect to see a difference, because the output transitor when uncovered becomes a phototransistor - and that may at some light level go for the address decode logic too.
On Jul 29, 10:31 pm, amerdsp <amer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, > I am trying to design and implement a very simple camera that would > capture VGA quality images and store them to flash memory such as SD > or MMC. > I am seeking the advice of the experienced people out there about > the recommendations for a microcontroller and image sensor > combination. I am looking for a fairly low cost solution since it is > only a hobby. I know that I can get a cheap camera and all, but I > would like to learn about it and try to implement it myself. > > Thank you for your time and help.
I read an article yesterday from the July 16 issue of EE Times on page 32. It dissected four still cameras with the lowest priced one a Vivitar at $10, yes $10 US!!! It was only CIF format (352 x 288) but still, that is amazing! The Disney camera met your VGA requirement at $49 and they expect this price to drop! I would find one of these low priced units and use it for a front end with USB as the interface. You may need to use a discrete signal to control the shutter. This should be a lot easier than prying the lid off of RAM chips.
On Jul 30, 9:38 am, rickman <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am seeking the advice of the experienced people out there about > > the recommendations for a microcontroller and image sensor > > combination. I am looking for a fairly low cost solution since it is > > only a hobby. I know that I can get a cheap camera and all, but I > > would like to learn about it and try to implement it myself. > > I read an article yesterday from the July 16 issue of EE Times on page > 32. It dissected four still cameras with the lowest priced one a > Vivitar at $10, yes $10 US!!! It was only CIF format (352 x 288) but > still, that is amazing!
Along those lines, the one-time-use (return to store for processing) digital cameras are $10-$20... perhaps one could be used as a source of parts, and do his own interface to the imager - since he said he wanted the experience of doing it the hard way. If I was doing that, I'd be tempted to play with a soft core processor on an FPGA eval board, using the rest of the FPGA to do the low-level interface state machine. Though it may be possible to get a DSP-type processor with fast synchronous I/O to interface directly to an imager, and there's always the processor + FPGA/CPLD option at the expense of having to prototype a bit more of a board.

For a real roll-yer-own there's a bare sensor chip http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.69/.f?sc=8&category=241 Or a slightly more integrated module http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.42/.f?sc=8&category=241 And a mostly complete gizmo (async serial interface, JPEG output) http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2581/.f?sc=8&category=241 #include <std_disclaimer> Just a satisfied customer. Got one of the full-up modules to package into a "critter cam" one of these days...
On Jul 30, 10:38 am, rickman <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 29, 10:31 pm, amerdsp <amer...@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > Greetings, > > I am trying to design and implement a very simple camera that would > > capture VGA quality images and store them to flash memory such as SD > > or MMC. > > I am seeking the advice of the experienced people out there about > > the recommendations for a microcontroller and image sensor > > combination. I am looking for a fairly low cost solution since it is > > only a hobby. I know that I can get a cheap camera and all, but I > > would like to learn about it and try to implement it myself. > > > Thank you for your time and help. > > I read an article yesterday from the July 16 issue of EE Times on page > 32. It dissected four still cameras with the lowest priced one a > Vivitar at $10, yes $10 US!!! It was only CIF format (352 x 288) but > still, that is amazing! The Disney camera met your VGA requirement at > $49 and they expect this price to drop! >
So where do you think image compression takes place in these low cost cameras? On the same note, what do you think of using a PIC to do something like this? I read before that PIC's are not great for image processing because the memory is not contiguous. How about ARM, AVR? Any takes on these? Thanks again.. -- a
In news:1185851530.867734.167870@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com
timestamped Tue, 31 Jul 2007 03:12:10 -0000,
amerdsp <amerdsp@hotmail.com> posted:
|"On Jul 30, 10:38 am, rickman <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote:                  |
|> On Jul 29, 10:31 pm, amerdsp <amer...@hotmail.com> wrote:              |
|>                                                                        |
|> > Greetings,                                                           |
|> >   I am trying to design and implement a very simple camera that would|
|> > capture VGA quality images [..]                                      |
|[..]                                                                     |
|>                                                                        |
|>[..]  It was only CIF format (352 x 288) [..]                           |
|[..]                                                                     |
|On the same note, what do you think of using a PIC to do something       |
|like this?  I read before that PIC's are not great for image             |
|processing because the memory is not contiguous.  How about ARM, AVR?    |
|Any takes on these?                                                      |
|Thanks again..                                                           |
|-- a"                                                                    |

Neither a PIC nor AVR would be able to hold an entire VGA nor CIF
image in addressable memory at once. They could still be used for
image processing, if you are willing to work on small parts of an
image at a time, or if you can figure out a way to store enough
information for what you need to know about one portion of the image
while working on another part of the image.

Regards,
Colin Paul Gloster
On Jul 31, 8:21 am, Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Glos...@ACM.org>
wrote:

> Neither a PIC nor AVR would be able to hold an entire VGA nor CIF > image in addressable memory at once. They could still be used for
Take a closer look at the AVR family and ponder the mystical abilities of an external RAM address bus. A YUV422 CIF image is 84480 bytes (NTSC) or 101376 bytes (PAL), easily and fairly transparently mappable into the AVR's data addressing space using a minimum of external glue logic. There are probably PICs with external buses too, though I wouldn't know about them.

Memfault Beyond the Launch