Forums

Handheld Device with Display and WLan

Started by Spobrockel September 7, 2007
Hello all,

The company I work for is planning a handheld device with a touch display
(320x200 pixel), WLAN and UPnP functionality to control other devices in a
wireless Wifi network. Now my electronic work experience in the embedded
domain seems to be a little outdated so I would kindly like to ask if
somebody has tip what architecture is common and up to date now.

Also a hint about displays and evaluations kits is highly appreciated

Best Regards

Spobrockel


On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:07:22 -0500, "Spobrockel"
<MichaelHirsch123@gmx.de> wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

> Hello all, > > The company I work for is planning a handheld device with a touch display > (320x200 pixel), WLAN and UPnP functionality to control other devices in a > wireless Wifi network. Now my electronic work experience in the embedded > domain seems to be a little outdated so I would kindly like to ask if > somebody has tip what architecture is common and up to date now. > > Also a hint about displays and evaluations kits is highly appreciated > > Best Regards > > Spobrockel
If you want to look at a state of the art device available now, Google for the Nokia N800, everything you mentioned except the touch screen display is 800 x 400 and it also has Bluetooth. It runs Linux, so I assume you could write your own programs for it. List price $400.00, street price about $360.00. -- Jack Klein Home: http://JK-Technology.Com FAQs for comp.lang.c http://c-faq.com/ comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ http://www.club.cc.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html
Spobrockel wrote:

> Hello all, > > The company I work for is planning a handheld device with a touch display > (320x200 pixel), WLAN and UPnP functionality to control other devices in a > wireless Wifi network. Now my electronic work experience in the embedded > domain seems to be a little outdated so I would kindly like to ask if > somebody has tip what architecture is common and up to date now. > > Also a hint about displays and evaluations kits is highly appreciated > > Best Regards > > Spobrockel > >
Lile this one: www.zipit.com
Donald wrote:

> Spobrockel wrote: > >> Hello all, >> >> The company I work for is planning a handheld device with a touch display >> (320x200 pixel), WLAN and UPnP functionality to control other devices >> in a >> wireless Wifi network. Now my electronic work experience in the embedded >> domain seems to be a little outdated so I would kindly like to ask if >> somebody has tip what architecture is common and up to date now. >> >> Also a hint about displays and evaluations kits is highly appreciated >> >> Best Regards >> >> Spobrockel >> >> > Lile this one: > > www.zipit.com
Crap, this one: http://www.zipitwireless.com/
Donald wrote:

> Donald wrote: > >> Spobrockel wrote: >> >>> Hello all, >>> >>> The company I work for is planning a handheld device with a touch >>> display >>> (320x200 pixel), WLAN and UPnP functionality to control other devices >>> in a >>> wireless Wifi network. Now my electronic work experience in the embedded >>> domain seems to be a little outdated so I would kindly like to ask if >>> somebody has tip what architecture is common and up to date now. >>> >>> Also a hint about displays and evaluations kits is highly appreciated >>> >>> Best Regards >>> >>> Spobrockel >>> >>> >> Lile this one: >> >> www.zipit.com > > Crap, this one: > > http://www.zipitwireless.com/
Also, search the web for 'zipit' 'hacking' for other comprehensive sites describing the zipit's internals and various projects. Please feel free to visit my site: http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/zipit Regards, Michael
Jack Klein wrote:
"Spobrockel" wrote:
>> The company I work for is planning a handheld device with a touch display >> (320x200 pixel), WLAN and UPnP functionality to control other devices in a >> wireless Wifi network. >>... >If you want to look at a state of the art device available now, Google >for the Nokia N800, everything you mentioned except the touch screen >display is 800 x 400 and it also has Bluetooth.
I was going to suggest the same. Just be aware of the possible risks of basing a product on another one that can be withdrawn from the market at any time. At a previous employer, Palm Pilots were used for user interface to an industrial controller, mounted in a custom frame on the front of the machine. The design had to be changed again and again, as different Pilot models came into and out of being. And "Ah, honey, they also dropped the serial port this time."
>It runs Linux, so I >assume you could write your own programs for it.
See http://maemo.org/, https://garage.maemo.org/ Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]