Basic VHDL Development kit

Started by Tom Lucas October 2, 2007
<cs_posting@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191445567.264534.197790@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...
> On Oct 3, 2:25 pm, Ray Andraka <r...@andraka.com> wrote: >> cs_post...@hotmail.com wrote: >> > You can control your degree of vendor lock in fairly easy - if you >> > don't use their unique library functions, and use only the free >> > download versions of the tools, and don't utilize any abuses of the >> > language that one tool or the other might permit, then you should >> > remain portable. >> >> ...and far less efficient than you could be if you designed to the >> architecture. Now that doesn't necessarily mean instantiating >> primitives, but it does play into how you architect your design so >> that >> it makes best use of the target FPGA structure. Not doing this may >> lead >> to a design that is far larger and slower than one that is >> specifically >> designed to the architecture. > > I thought we were talking about exploration and initial learning, not > making products.
Well my eventual goal is to implement FPGA in my production systems so it probably makes sense to keep that in mind as I begin my first forays. My philosophy with the C I've written for the system is to keep it all as portable as possible and perhaps have lost efficiency in doing so but the products are low-volume and the cost of a bigger/faster part is far less than the cost of rewriting platform specific code. I think I will carry on that methodology with FPGAs and then look toward performance gains with platform specific optimisations if my hands get really tied.
On Oct 3, 12:10 am, Jarek Rozanski <jarek.rozan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 Pa , 18:54, Mike Treseler <mike_trese...@comcast.net> wrote: > > > Tom Lucas wrote: > > > Does anybody have any suggestions for a cheap and basic development kit > > > to practice VHDL on? It doesn't need to do much more than toggle a few > > > output pins and I'm happy to make up my own programming leads etc. UK > > > based distributors would be preferred. > > > If the objective is to learn vhdl, all you need is > > > 1. A simulator to verify and debug > > the uut and testbench code and > > Good solution is a Aldec Active-HDL 7.2 SE (student edition). Very > good simulation and verification tool. Nice schematic diagrams, easy > waveform manipulation. Very good choice (personal opinion) for > learning. Moreover, for this purposes it is free :)
I'll second this recommendation. I've found Active HDL's free student edition more than enough for educational purposes. Eli