Newbie help needed

Started by James Fraser October 2, 2007
linnix wrote:
> On Oct 8, 8:24 am, James Fraser <j...@concentric.net> wrote: >> On Oct 5, 6:36 pm, Jim Granville <no.s...@designtools.maps.co.nz> >> wrote: >> >>> James Fraser wrote: >>>> or this, I suppose: >>>> http://www2.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcon... >>>> It looks like I need the $120 answer to develop what I want. The $30 >>>> answer you linked to wouldn't allow new code needed to hook up a DAC, >>>> I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. >> I looked into this a bit further. Both Microchip and Silicon Labs >> would require that I buy the full version of the development >> environment for $495. (Microchip requires the full version for support >> for some of the chips with ethernet, and Silicon Labs requires the >> full version of the Kiel tools to have more than 4 KB code. Even their >> example web app requires more than 4 KB and can't be compiled with the >> limited version.) > > If you don't want to pay for development tools, I would push you back > into AVR. AvrStudio/win-avr/gcc-avr are free. ISP downloader/USB > bootloader are possible. AT90USB82/162 (8K/16K usb device) are more > than enough for a guage. There is also AT90USB1286 (128K) if needed. > >
A very easy and cheap option is to get the ready made ftdi USB to TTL level serial converters (from their online shop) and a simple AVR ATtiny2313. This part has 4 PWM's for driving the gauges, a UART to receive values for the gauges and some spare IO to flash a backlight LED. The FTDI USB adapters come with a virtual COM driver for Windows so you can control your gauges from Python, VB, Java, C++ or whatever you feel comfortable with! Antoon
"Jaded Hobo" <badboy@heaven.org> skrev i meddelandet
> linnix wrote: >> On Oct 8, 8:24 am, James Fraser <j...@concentric.net> wrote: >>> On Oct 5, 6:36 pm, Jim Granville <no.s...@designtools.maps.co.nz> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> James Fraser wrote: >>>>> or this, I suppose: >>>>> http://www2.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcon... >>>>> It looks like I need the $120 answer to develop what I want. The $30 >>>>> answer you linked to wouldn't allow new code needed to hook up a DAC, >>>>> I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. >>> I looked into this a bit further. Both Microchip and Silicon Labs >>> would require that I buy the full version of the development >>> environment for $495. (Microchip requires the full version for support >>> for some of the chips with ethernet, and Silicon Labs requires the >>> full version of the Kiel tools to have more than 4 KB code. Even their >>> example web app requires more than 4 KB and can't be compiled with the >>> limited version.) >> >> If you don't want to pay for development tools, I would push you back >> into AVR. AvrStudio/win-avr/gcc-avr are free. ISP downloader/USB >> bootloader are possible. AT90USB82/162 (8K/16K usb device) are more >> than enough for a guage. There is also AT90USB1286 (128K) if needed. >> >> > A very easy and cheap option is to get the ready made ftdi USB to TTL > level serial converters (from their online shop) and a simple AVR > ATtiny2313. This part has 4 PWM's for driving the gauges, a UART to > receive values for the gauges and some spare IO to flash a backlight LED. > The FTDI USB adapters come with a virtual COM driver for Windows so you > can control your gauges from Python, VB, Java, C++ or whatever you feel > comfortable with! > > Antoon
Seems a waste when you can do what you want in a single SAM7S321. There is easy to use USB CDC S/W which will give you that virtual COM port. -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB