EmbeddedRelated.com
Forums
Memfault Beyond the Launch

difference bitween ARM 7 and ARM9

Started by Stan October 19, 2007
Hi,

Does anyone can explain me
the difference bitween ARM7 and  ARM9 ?

--
-Stan


On Oct 19, 11:06 am, "Stan" <n...@none.invalid> wrote:
> Hi, > > Does anyone can explain me > the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ?
This document from ARM is a good start: http://www.arm.com/pdfs/comparison-arm7-arm9-v1.pdf
"Stan" <none@none.invalid> wrote in message 
news:ff9rt5$i6g$1@s1.news.oleane.net...
> Hi, > > Does anyone can explain me > the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ?
Easy! ARM2 :-p
On Oct 19, 2:26 pm, Arlet <usene...@c-scape.nl> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 11:06 am, "Stan" <n...@none.invalid> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does anyone can explain me > > the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ? > > This document from ARM is a good start:http://www.arm.com/pdfs/comparison-arm7-arm9-v1.pdf
Nice Link :-) Karthik Balaguru
On Oct 19, 5:06 am, "Stan" <n...@none.invalid> wrote:
> Hi, > > Does anyone can explain me > the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ? > > -- > -Stan
The major difference that I have found is that some ARM9 systems implement an MMU (Memory Management Unit) and more advanced PC-based interfaces such as PCI / USB / etc... However, there are several high- end versions of the ARM7 and several low-end versions of the ARM9 that are starting to blur these lines. Keith http://www.doubleblackdesign.com

"Stan" <none@none.invalid> wrote in message 
news:ff9rt5$i6g$1@s1.news.oleane.net...
> Hi, > > Does anyone can explain me > the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ? > > -- > -Stan > >
From the programmers point of view there is very little difference, but under the hood the devices are actually quite different. Of significance, the ARM9 has a modified Harvard architecture, whereas the ARM7 has a single bus for both data and instructions. Also the ARM9 has a deeper pipeline. Both these factors, plus probably many others, permit greater 'speed' to be obtained on the ARM9. However the actual performance achieved is dependent on many other factors, for example the interface between the FLASH memory and the processor, so ARM9 does not automatically mean an increase of n% in performance over an ARM7. -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org 13 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Tom Lucas wrote:
> "Stan" <none@none.invalid> wrote in message > news:ff9rt5$i6g$1@s1.news.oleane.net... > >>Hi, >> >>Does anyone can explain me >>the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ? > > > Easy! ARM2 :-p
Close, but no cigar. a) Difference between ARM7 and ARM9 is 2 and (slight guess here, keying off the root BIT i BITween ) b) difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 is 10 ? :)
On Oct 19, 1:07 pm, Jim Granville <no.s...@designtools.maps.co.nz>
wrote:
> Tom Lucas wrote: > > "Stan" <n...@none.invalid> wrote in message > >news:ff9rt5$i6g$1@s1.news.oleane.net... > > >>Hi, > > >>Does anyone can explain me > >>the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ? > > > Easy! ARM2 :-p > > Close, but no cigar. > a) Difference between ARM7 and ARM9 is 2
I though of that too, but came to the conclusion that ARM is a unit not a number :) Robert
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.maps.co.nz> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de 
news: 4718e41f$1@clear.net.nz...
> Tom Lucas wrote: >> "Stan" <none@none.invalid> wrote in message >> news:ff9rt5$i6g$1@s1.news.oleane.net... >> >>>Hi, >>> >>>Does anyone can explain me >>>the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ? >> >> >> Easy! ARM2 :-p > > Close, but no cigar. > a) Difference between ARM7 and ARM9 is 2 > and (slight guess here, keying off the root BIT i BITween ) > b) difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 is 10 ? > > :)
Sorry, the binary is my native language ;-) -- -Stan
On Oct 19, 6:14 pm, "Tom Lucas"
<news@REMOVE_tlcs_THIS_dot_TO_fsnet_REPLY_dot_co.uk> wrote:
> "Stan" <n...@none.invalid> wrote in message > > news:ff9rt5$i6g$1@s1.news.oleane.net... > > > Hi, > > > Does anyone can explain me > > the difference bitween ARM7 and ARM9 ? > > Easy! ARM2 :-p
NO! Should be -ARM2 (+ARM7) - (+ARM9) = -ARM2

Memfault Beyond the Launch