PIC & Ethernet

Started by codegeek October 19, 2007
Hi Folks,

I'm an engineering student trying to get started with my senior project.
Basically, I want to communicate with a bunch of devices (and the
Internet) using Ethernet. I did some research and found a few
micro-controllers with built-in Ethernet capabilities. However, these
require separate programmers that are quite costly. So I'm thinking of
using a regular PIC chip that I can program using one of the programmers
in our school lab. However, my biggest problem is to find a way to get a
PIC chip to communicate through Ethernet. Do you have any ideas or
information as to how to get this to work? Any input would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

"codegeek" <codegeek6@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks, > > I'm an engineering student trying to get started with my senior > project. > Basically, I want to communicate with a bunch of devices (and the > Internet) using Ethernet. I did some research and found a few > micro-controllers with built-in Ethernet capabilities. However, these > require separate programmers that are quite costly. So I'm thinking of > using a regular PIC chip that I can program using one of the > programmers > in our school lab. However, my biggest problem is to find a way to get > a > PIC chip to communicate through Ethernet. Do you have any ideas or > information as to how to get this to work? Any input would be greatly > appreciated.
Have you even tried Google? This problem has been solved many many times and there are designs, documents and lots of code freely available. A search for "ethernet pic" brought up loads of useful hits.
"codegeek" <codegeek6@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks, > > I'm an engineering student trying to get started with my senior project. > Basically, I want to communicate with a bunch of devices (and the > Internet) using Ethernet. I did some research and found a few > micro-controllers with built-in Ethernet capabilities. However, these > require separate programmers that are quite costly.
Luminary Micro provide some ultra low cost dev kits for their processors that have build in MAC and PHY. They also provide source code. All you need to program it is a USB cable. A free compiler is also available.
> So I'm thinking of > using a regular PIC chip that I can program using one of the programmers > in our school lab. However, my biggest problem is to find a way to get a > PIC chip to communicate through Ethernet. Do you have any ideas or > information as to how to get this to work? Any input would be greatly > appreciated.
I would consider using one the low cost development kits available from Microchips global distribution network, along with the source code and application notes that can be freely downloaded from their WEB site (along with their free compiler). -- Regards, Richard. + http://www.FreeRTOS.org 13 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week. + http://www.SafeRTOS.com Certified by T&#4294967295;V as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
On Oct 19, 5:39 pm, "codegeek" <codege...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks, > > I'm an engineering student trying to get started with my senior project. > Basically, I want to communicate with a bunch of devices (and the > Internet) using Ethernet. I did some research and found a few > micro-controllers with built-in Ethernet capabilities. However, these > require separate programmers that are quite costly. So I'm thinking of > using a regular PIC chip that I can program using one of the programmers > in our school lab. However, my biggest problem is to find a way to get a > PIC chip to communicate through Ethernet. Do you have any ideas or > information as to how to get this to work? Any input would be greatly > appreciated. > > Thanks!
Lot depends on at what level (how deep) you wish to apply. Some device with Ethernet ready and open src lib are their or u can take a micro controller and attach it with ethernet controller ic ( available from national semi and many others ) and develop whole ur own version. Regards,
codegeek wrote:
> Hi Folks, > > I'm an engineering student trying to get started with my senior project. > Basically, I want to communicate with a bunch of devices (and the > Internet) using Ethernet. I did some research and found a few > micro-controllers with built-in Ethernet capabilities. However, these > require separate programmers that are quite costly. So I'm thinking of > using a regular PIC chip that I can program using one of the programmers > in our school lab. However, my biggest problem is to find a way to get a > PIC chip to communicate through Ethernet. Do you have any ideas or > information as to how to get this to work? Any input would be greatly > appreciated. > > Thanks! > >
Microchip sells a PICDEM.net 2 board which has a PIC18 processor and ethernet. You can go to their web site for more info. Paul Bosselaers
The AT91SAM7X with built in Ethernet, can be programmed using a serial or USB cable. The AT91-ISP (containing SAMBA) is free of charge from www.atmel.com. GCC for ARM is free of charge as well (www.gnuarm.com) You can get a low cost development board from www.olimex.com -- Best Regards, Ulf Samuelsson This is intended to be my personal opinion which may, or may not be shared by my employer Atmel Nordic AB
"codegeek" <codegeek6@gmail.com> writes:

> micro-controllers with built-in Ethernet capabilities. However, > these require separate programmers that are quite costly. So I'm
How much do you think is a reasonable cost for such a programmer? Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Petter Gustad wrote:
Petter
--
A: Because I am unable to keep up with other people.